Jump to content
IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion


Meat
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, tronied said:

Well, my new PC which I splurged a crazy amount of money on has finally arrived. I've been promising myself a new PC since my old PC (780GTX SLI setup) broke and I've been using Shadow to tide me over. Forked over £3,750(!) and am now in possession of a 10900K, 32gb RAM, 3090 FTW3 OC, 2TB NVMe SSD machine. It was originally supposed to be a 5900X, but I was 460th in the queue and after a couple of months of no arrivals got fed up waiting for the thing and went with Intel. I think the only real difference is in multithreaded performance and improvement in certain games. It also originally was supposed to be a stock 3090, but they upgraded me for free (worth about £200) as there was little likelihood they'd ever get the other card in.

 

Overall I'm obviously really impressed by it. Scores 18-19K on 3D Mark and can easily manage 60fps lock in Cyberpunk at max settings in 4k (70-80fps at ultra everything in RDR2). Compared to running (streaming) on the Shadow everything looks so damn sharp. Even though I was streaming at 70mbps, there were obviously still compression artefacts and smoothing. This post is not strictly RTX 3000 specific but I am glad I managed to secure mine even if I did have to compromise on the CPU.

 

I am just waiting now until a cheap(er) HDMI 2.1 monitor is released. I've got an old 4K 60fps monitor which is fine, but it doesn't support HDR or anything nice like that. Hopefully give it a year and prices will come down as I definitely feel poor enough without shelling out a further £1k on a monitor.

 

LG 48CX is your friend. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A 48” monitor on a desk is a crazy idea. If you are playing with a controller from a distance then fair enough but primarily using k&m with anything over 27” on a desk can be hard going. A 32 or 34” curved monitor can certainly work but beyond that is madness. 
 

Unless you have some incomprehensibly weird sized table :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve obviously missed the previous ‘discussion’. 
 

I sit about 6 feet or so away from my 55” OLED and that feels about right. Sitting at my desk with a 48” version directly in front of me would be difficult. Surely you’d have to turn your head substantially to see parts of the screen? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vezna said:

A 48” monitor on a desk is a crazy idea. If you are playing with a controller from a distance then fair enough but primarily using k&m with anything over 27” on a desk can be hard going. A 32 or 34” curved monitor can certainly work but beyond that is madness. 
 

Unless you have some incomprehensibly weird sized table :huh:

I bought at 34 inch flat ultrawide about 18 months ago primarily for use when working from home.  On office days I am, or was pre-covid, stuck with a poxy 27 inch screen.  The bigger screen makes loads of difference and no way would I want a smaller one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah hah! Resizeable bar in operation.

 

This will make everything better.

 

Everything.

 

I'm sure I'll notice that extra 5% improvement immediately ;) 

 

Still, as an easy thing to do it'd have been churlish not to bung it on really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These latest nvidia drivers seem to have made my system unstable, even to the point of hard restarts. No pattern so far, ran for 8 hours then only 2 between the last crashes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, vezna said:

I’ve obviously missed the previous ‘discussion’. 
 

I sit about 6 feet or so away from my 55” OLED and that feels about right. Sitting at my desk with a 48” version directly in front of me would be difficult. Surely you’d have to turn your head substantially to see parts of the screen? 

 

I'm  only pulling your leg, just a number of us and many others have got one. Agree it's big and my desk depth is 1.1m so that definitely helps. I can't go back to regular monitors now and I had the full gamut .

 

But each to their own of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got an MSI 3080 order in at Amazon a week ago after an alert pinged and it hasn’t been charged yet. There was a delivery date when I pressed buy but now it’s pending. I’m hoping it’ll act as a preorder of sorts even if I have to keep it awhile. Wonder if it’ll get cancelled. If it does go through I’ll sell my 3070 at auction probably for more than the 3080. At this rate I’m going to upgrade to a 3090 or 3080ti for effectively nothing. I bought a 3070FE for £450 and then sold my 1080ti for £650, more than I paid for it in 2017! I felt awful but I’m going with auction rather than scalping prices at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I have found that both my Z390 Aorus and I9900K are good to go for resizable bar after a bios update, just my 2080TI letting the side down. From reading it may be something Nvidia could do for the 2xxx cards but I very much doubt it. No bother, still getting fantastic performance in all games so I won't cry over a new gen card feature.

 

So close to getting a bit of free extra performance mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Triple LG CX OLED setup powered by a 3080. I don't have a room big enough in my house I could actually set this up but this bloke is clearly not messing about. :blink:

9FD4704A-3C3F-42F7-A629-6B1F613FDF66.thumb.jpeg.7352c0ab57ad9f40984239c188ca8e3c.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, vezna said:

Triple LG CX OLED setup powered by a 3080. I don't have a room big enough in my house I could actually set this up but this bloke is clearly not messing about. :blink:

9FD4704A-3C3F-42F7-A629-6B1F613FDF66.thumb.jpeg.7352c0ab57ad9f40984239c188ca8e3c.jpeg

 

Love that he's got that setup to use Zwift, a cycling fitness app that can literally run at full spec on an iphone.

 

His turbotrainer is just out of shot I presume.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

Love that he's got that setup to use Zwift, a cycling fitness app that can literally run at full spec on an iphone.

 

His turbotrainer is just out of shot I presume.

In some ways it’s better on an iPhone because the PC app is apparently useless. You won’t get a 4K res out of it though (whereas you can, easily, out of a 1080).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone know if there are any frequently updated blogs or articles dealing with the shortage of GPU's? I would love to learn more about why I cant get my bloody hands on a 3070. It cant all be crypto miners? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Anyone know if there are any frequently updated blogs or articles dealing with the shortage of GPU's? I would love to learn more about why I cant get my bloody hands on a 3070. It cant all be crypto miners? 

I don't have a link to anything, but I did read something a little while ago and it's to do with capacity at the main production centres for the chips, as all manner of companies need chips for phones, cars, consoles, GPUs etc. The pandemic has also played a part (not least in higher demand for stuff requiring chips), as well as trying to move the fabrication process to ever-smaller sizes.

 

It's basically an issue across a number of industries, rather than it being a GPU problem specifically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tbh, there are a number of reasons why its hard to get a GPU.

 

Principally there is a global silicon shortage at present. But more than that, is nividia are actually making as many as they can , and what they thought they would sell based on past sales, the issue, is everybody and their dog is buying them the moment they are released! (linus, jay and gamers nexus have all done vids about it)

 

I mean, the 3070 has a higher steam share of graphics cards than all but 2 of AMDs!?! already! in TWO months!? and there are more 3080 users than 2080ti users

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

 

image.thumb.png.92c5e7cd1a2ff569fb3f06c6a2dbb637.png

 

To put this in perspective, AMD's new cards, dont appear on the chart because there are clearly so few of them they dont even register!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

To put this in perspective, AMD's new cards, dont appear on the chart because there are clearly so few of them they dont even register!?!

 

They're probably using all their contacted time at TSMC to churn out as many APUs as possible for consoles, after making a handful of cards for reviews and market only to realise that the shit is hitting the fan for every industry and they need to fulfill any previously made agreement to Sony and Microsoft. Probably a more stable payday in comparison to relying on retail markets, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Siri said:

 

They're probably using all their contacted time at TSMC to churn out as many APUs as possible for consoles, after making a handful of cards for reviews and market only to realise that the shit is hitting the fan for every industry and they need to fulfill any previously made agreement to Sony and Microsoft. Probably a more stable payday in comparison to relying on retail markets, too.

 

tbh, i did wonder that, as lets be honest, its really where there money makers are.

 

Lets be honest, nvidia own the PC market, heck, UE now has BUILT IN DLSS support :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Well... never say never. Partalert came good! I'm actually still in a genuine state of shock.

 

261833325_shock3070.jpg.7e908d2fcccf689816aa5a668fb4dcd0.jpg

 

 

Enjoy!

 

It's genuinely mind blowing that 6 months post-launch these things are still gold dust. Ridiculous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 3070 is pretty good for mining too.

Not something I ever considered when I bought mine, it was all about Cyberpunk with RTX, but since getting one I decided to dabble with NiceHash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After rinsing CP2077 and in between thrashing GT3s in ACC, my 3080 has been put to use mining Ethereum.  I now hold $370 worth of the stuff!   

 

At some point in the foreseeable future the card will have paid for itself - which seems bonkers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.