IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

5 hours ago, tronied said:

Well, my new PC which I splurged a crazy amount of money on has finally arrived. I've been promising myself a new PC since my old PC (780GTX SLI setup) broke and I've been using Shadow to tide me over. Forked over £3,750(!) and am now in possession of a 10900K, 32gb RAM, 3090 FTW3 OC, 2TB NVMe SSD machine. It was originally supposed to be a 5900X, but I was 460th in the queue and after a couple of months of no arrivals got fed up waiting for the thing and went with Intel. I think the only real difference is in multithreaded performance and improvement in certain games. It also originally was supposed to be a stock 3090, but they upgraded me for free (worth about £200) as there was little likelihood they'd ever get the other card in.

Overall I'm obviously really impressed by it. Scores 18-19K on 3D Mark and can easily manage 60fps lock in Cyberpunk at max settings in 4k (70-80fps at ultra everything in RDR2). Compared to running (streaming) on the Shadow everything looks so damn sharp. Even though I was streaming at 70mbps, there were obviously still compression artefacts and smoothing. This post is not strictly RTX 3000 specific but I am glad I managed to secure mine even if I did have to compromise on the CPU.

I am just waiting now until a cheap(er) HDMI 2.1 monitor is released. I've got an old 4K 60fps monitor which is fine, but it doesn't support HDR or anything nice like that. Hopefully give it a year and prices will come down as I definitely feel poor enough without shelling out a further £1k on a monitor.

LG 48CX is your friend. ;)

A 48” monitor on a desk is a crazy idea. If you are playing with a controller from a distance then fair enough but primarily using k&m with anything over 27” on a desk can be hard going. A 32 or 34” curved monitor can certainly work but beyond that is madness. 

Unless you have some incomprehensibly weird sized table :huh:

I’ve obviously missed the previous ‘discussion’. 

I sit about 6 feet or so away from my 55” OLED and that feels about right. Sitting at my desk with a 48” version directly in front of me would be difficult. Surely you’d have to turn your head substantially to see parts of the screen? 

3 hours ago, vezna said:

A 48” monitor on a desk is a crazy idea. If you are playing with a controller from a distance then fair enough but primarily using k&m with anything over 27” on a desk can be hard going. A 32 or 34” curved monitor can certainly work but beyond that is madness. 

Unless you have some incomprehensibly weird sized table :huh:

I bought at 34 inch flat ultrawide about 18 months ago primarily for use when working from home.  On office days I am, or was pre-covid, stuck with a poxy 27 inch screen.  The bigger screen makes loads of difference and no way would I want a smaller one

Ah hah! Resizeable bar in operation.

This will make everything better.

Everything.

I'm sure I'll notice that extra 5% improvement immediately ;) 

Still, as an easy thing to do it'd have been churlish not to bung it on really.

These latest nvidia drivers seem to have made my system unstable, even to the point of hard restarts. No pattern so far, ran for 8 hours then only 2 between the last crashes.

22 hours ago, vezna said:

I’ve obviously missed the previous ‘discussion’. 

I sit about 6 feet or so away from my 55” OLED and that feels about right. Sitting at my desk with a 48” version directly in front of me would be difficult. Surely you’d have to turn your head substantially to see parts of the screen? 

I'm  only pulling your leg, just a number of us and many others have got one. Agree it's big and my desk depth is 1.1m so that definitely helps. I can't go back to regular monitors now and I had the full gamut .

But each to their own of course.

I got an MSI 3080 order in at Amazon a week ago after an alert pinged and it hasn’t been charged yet. There was a delivery date when I pressed buy but now it’s pending. I’m hoping it’ll act as a preorder of sorts even if I have to keep it awhile. Wonder if it’ll get cancelled. If it does go through I’ll sell my 3070 at auction probably for more than the 3080. At this rate I’m going to upgrade to a 3090 or 3080ti for effectively nothing. I bought a 3070FE for £450 and then sold my 1080ti for £650, more than I paid for it in 2017! I felt awful but I’m going with auction rather than scalping prices at least. 

So I have found that both my Z390 Aorus and I9900K are good to go for resizable bar after a bios update, just my 2080TI letting the side down. From reading it may be something Nvidia could do for the 2xxx cards but I very much doubt it. No bother, still getting fantastic performance in all games so I won't cry over a new gen card feature.

So close to getting a bit of free extra performance mind.

Triple LG CX OLED setup powered by a 3080. I don't have a room big enough in my house I could actually set this up but this bloke is clearly not messing about. :blink:

9FD4704A-3C3F-42F7-A629-6B1F613FDF66.thumb.jpeg.7352c0ab57ad9f40984239c188ca8e3c.jpeg

5 minutes ago, vezna said:

Triple LG CX OLED setup powered by a 3080. I don't have a room big enough in my house I could actually set this up but this bloke is clearly not messing about. :blink:

9FD4704A-3C3F-42F7-A629-6B1F613FDF66.thumb.jpeg.7352c0ab57ad9f40984239c188ca8e3c.jpeg

Love that he's got that setup to use Zwift, a cycling fitness app that can literally run at full spec on an iphone.

His turbotrainer is just out of shot I presume.

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Love that he's got that setup to use Zwift, a cycling fitness app that can literally run at full spec on an iphone.

His turbotrainer is just out of shot I presume.

In some ways it’s better on an iPhone because the PC app is apparently useless. You won’t get a 4K res out of it though (whereas you can, easily, out of a 1080).

Anyone know if there are any frequently updated blogs or articles dealing with the shortage of GPU's? I would love to learn more about why I cant get my bloody hands on a 3070. It cant all be crypto miners? 

10 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Anyone know if there are any frequently updated blogs or articles dealing with the shortage of GPU's? I would love to learn more about why I cant get my bloody hands on a 3070. It cant all be crypto miners? 

I don't have a link to anything, but I did read something a little while ago and it's to do with capacity at the main production centres for the chips, as all manner of companies need chips for phones, cars, consoles, GPUs etc. The pandemic has also played a part (not least in higher demand for stuff requiring chips), as well as trying to move the fabrication process to ever-smaller sizes.

It's basically an issue across a number of industries, rather than it being a GPU problem specifically.

Tbh, there are a number of reasons why its hard to get a GPU.

Principally there is a global silicon shortage at present. But more than that, is nividia are actually making as many as they can , and what they thought they would sell based on past sales, the issue, is everybody and their dog is buying them the moment they are released! (linus, jay and gamers nexus have all done vids about it)

I mean, the 3070 has a higher steam share of graphics cards than all but 2 of AMDs!?! already! in TWO months!? and there are more 3080 users than 2080ti users

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

image.thumb.png.92c5e7cd1a2ff569fb3f06c6a2dbb637.png

To put this in perspective, AMD's new cards, dont appear on the chart because there are clearly so few of them they dont even register!?!

43 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

To put this in perspective, AMD's new cards, dont appear on the chart because there are clearly so few of them they dont even register!?!

They're probably using all their contacted time at TSMC to churn out as many APUs as possible for consoles, after making a handful of cards for reviews and market only to realise that the shit is hitting the fan for every industry and they need to fulfill any previously made agreement to Sony and Microsoft. Probably a more stable payday in comparison to relying on retail markets, too.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

They're probably using all their contacted time at TSMC to churn out as many APUs as possible for consoles, after making a handful of cards for reviews and market only to realise that the shit is hitting the fan for every industry and they need to fulfill any previously made agreement to Sony and Microsoft. Probably a more stable payday in comparison to relying on retail markets, too.

tbh, i did wonder that, as lets be honest, its really where there money makers are.

Lets be honest, nvidia own the PC market, heck, UE now has BUILT IN DLSS support :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Fondue said:

Well... never say never. Partalert came good! I'm actually still in a genuine state of shock.

261833325_shock3070.jpg.7e908d2fcccf689816aa5a668fb4dcd0.jpg

Enjoy!

It's genuinely mind blowing that 6 months post-launch these things are still gold dust. Ridiculous

The 3070 is pretty good for mining too.

Not something I ever considered when I bought mine, it was all about Cyberpunk with RTX, but since getting one I decided to dabble with NiceHash. 

After rinsing CP2077 and in between thrashing GT3s in ACC, my 3080 has been put to use mining Ethereum.  I now hold $370 worth of the stuff!   

At some point in the foreseeable future the card will have paid for itself - which seems bonkers!