NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

I've stopped watching hardware unboxed as , well, they don't actually test the feature set of the cards!?

They dont have RT tests, and they dont use dlss!? and lets be honest, any game where dlss is supported, its used by people who have the card! as its "free" performance!

not including it means they are not reviewing the products properly or comparing them in a real world usage.

They also had no comparison with RT features turned on across nvidia and amd, but only featured rasterisation....missing the big point of the new cards

What nvidia have said, eg you should be testing the actual feature set, is correct...the way they went about it ...oh dear...oh very dear!:doh:

Gamers nexus do far better reviews, by having the features both on and off which gives a much better representation. Or Jay with his nice simple charts! 

On 03/12/2020 at 09:18, Liamness said:

Have same case, would be very interested to know how well it works once you get it. I have a vague feeling that a cooler with vertical fins might be slightly better, and flow-through designs may be counterproductive, as the card just directly backs onto the PSU of course. Any AIB card is likely going to be better than the FE though, because of the way the sides of that card are blocked off by the (admittedly very nice looking) metal trim. Looked to me like the PNY models could've worked well, never saw a buy button for them though.

I think I'm going to remove the plastic divider, see if that helps. Not needed for GPUs with a backplate anyway AFAIK.

Yeah the A4 has prety good GPU compatibility, just as long as you stick to 2 slot cards.

Apologies for the delay!

Right, after installing the card (as is), I was getting GPU temps mid 70's - early 80's (Fortnite, Apex Legends, 120fps, mostly ultra settings, 2560x1440)

Taking the left side cover off helped reduce slightly.

I then added one spacer each (supplied with Dan case) to the GPU riser which gave a bit of breathing room between the card and the PSU and the temps dropped slightly.

I then removed the IO plate* from the GPU, (if you don't remove the IO plate you can't add 2 spacers each) added two spacers each to the GPU riser and stuck a piece of Lego** behind the GPU to create breathing space of about 1cm between GPU and PSU!

I did a bit of under volting (first time ever) and the now card runs mid 50's - mid 60's when using the same games and settings - occasionally it'll hit 70 in Apex lobby, but is lower in the actual game.

I've kept the left side off as it's not noticeable on my setup.

I might try adding back the IO plate and removing 1 set of spacers to compare temps.

*IO plate removed can be seen in pic.

**Lego brick in pic was too high. it was replaced with a really flat 4 rivet square and a 3m sticky foam pad!

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Thanks @bignige, interesting. So the spacers presumably just shift the card closer to the side panel and further from the PSU and motherboard mounting plate, then? I'm not sure mine came with any hardware to do that. Bought it about a year and a half ago, maybe they changed what they include in the box. Or maybe I have the bits sitting in a drawer somewhere. My understanding is that some fans can actually produce audible turbulence if they are brought too close to the side panel though, so I suppose that is something to watch out for.

3 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Thanks @bignige, interesting. So the spacers presumably just shift the card closer to the side panel and further from the PSU and motherboard mounting plate, then? I'm not sure mine came with any hardware to do that. Bought it about a year and a half ago, maybe they changed what they include in the box. Or maybe I have the bits sitting in a drawer somewhere. My understanding is that some fans can actually produce audible turbulence if they are brought too close to the side panel though, so I suppose that is something to watch out for.

I bought mine about the same time. 
it’s a version 4.1. 
There’s a small bag of screws that came with it and this included the spacers. 

Yep they shift it away from PSU and towards the panel - which I’ve taken off for the mo as the sound is louder when attached. 

They card I have has a molded plastic front which isn’t flat - it sticks out more towards the back. 

@krenzler @5R7 

I've just been watching Linus' video on this. Christ he doesn't pull any punches. Video posted below kicks off when someone in chat discovers Nvidia (after saying that Steve from @HardwareUnboxing doesn't promote RT & DLSS) are using a testimonial from Hardware Unboxing on their site...bigging up DLSS. Da fuq.

testimonial.thumb.jpg.07c585775583fb7dd35e95873bde1c81.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've got an AMD 3600. If I were to get an RTX3080 as some point, would this CPU bottleneck it? What about a 3070?

I’m running a 3600 with an RTX 3070. No bottleneck at all and will be ideal with a 3080 too. 

New GeForce drivers out today, seems to be for the Quake 2 RTX update which allows raytracing with Vulkan. 
A bit odd you get the choice for which renderer you use, as it runs at around half the speed with Vulkan than it does with RTX?! I can’t imagine using an AMD card is a pleasant experience?!

A couple more questions, it anyone would be so good to oblige me:

1. As well as the aforementioned 3600, I've got a 650W PSU that's powering 16GB of RAM, 4 fans, a CPU cooler, 1 SSD, 1 Nvme, 1 HDD and a WiFi card, as well as my current GPU. Will 650W be enough power for a 3000 series card?

2. Obviously it's game dependent, but if I were to get a 3080, what FPS could I expect at 4K with my current set up on modern games (Cyberpunk and Flight Sim excepted)? A consistent 60fps would obviously be ideal, but it'd be great to get to 120 in some games so I can max out the refresh rate of my LG OLED.

3. Lastly, as and when they do become available again, is the 3080 founder'sedition still the best all-rounder? Can it actually be had for anywhere near the £650 RRP?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

1. As well as the aforementioned 3600, I've got a 650W PSU that's powering 16GB of RAM, 4 fans, a CPU cooler, 1 SSD, 1 Nvme, 1 HDD and a WiFi card, as well as my current GPU. Will 650W be enough power for a 3000 series card?

2. Obviously it's game dependent, but if I were to get a 3080, what FPS could I expect at 4K with my current set up on modern games (Cyberpunk and Flight Sim excepted)? A consistent 60fps would obviously be ideal, but it'd be great to get to 120 in some games so I can max out the refresh rate of my LG OLED.

3. Lastly, as and when they do become available again, is the 3080 founder'sedition still the best all-rounder? Can it actually be had for anywhere near the £650 RRP?

How old is the PSU? The power output does degrade over time but you should be fine on a 3070, that's what I have with a 5600x and a 650W PSU and it hasn't missed a beat. From what I've seen the 3080 is a bit more demanding so you may run into some stability issues there.

Managed to bag myself a 3060 Ti (yay!), It's a welcome upgrade over my current set up and I was honestly expecting not to get one until April or something. 

Anyway, does anyone have an estimate as to the going rate for an ASUS 1070? Before the 30 series dropped, one went for £200 on eBay and I've saw a couple sell for ~£145 since. Can't seem to find any on CeX either. 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've got an AMD 3600. If I were to get an RTX3080 as some point, would this CPU bottleneck it? What about a 3070?

I have a 3600X after deciding not to play the waiting on CPUs to be in shops game.

Bought it the day after the new Ryzen chips sold out in a second and have no regrets at all. I looked at a lot of benchmark sites and, at the 4K I now default to with the 3080, the difference between this CPU and pretty much any other over a significant range of games was never more than a few fps. That might change in a few years time and there will always be the odd game that will benefiit from more cores, etc, but for the foreseeble...

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I’ll leave the PSU to someone else.

2. 60fps at 4K ultra is pretty much everything but flight sim and cyberpunk.

And, well, AC Valhalla. Or Watchdogs Ultra with RT turned right up.
Flight sim doesn’t need it in any case.

in general Well over 60fps is much more likely, and DLSS is a master stroke.

If you’ve got a C9 or newer though the slight drops to 50 or even 45 FPS if you’ve decided to shiny right up don’t really matter though because you’ll have gsync turned on. You could also just play at max everything 1440p, which is what I’m tending to do in Cyberpunk.

3. the 3080 founders edition is pretty much the only card you can get for RRP. You can only get it for RRP (if you’re lucky and scan sell one via the nvidia site).
It’s quiet enough really, and the AIB cards are all horrendously overpriced because of shortages: certainly for the 1-2% performance improvement you might get, or the 1-2dB you might save in noise at peak.

24 minutes ago, iwan_canobi said:

How old is the PSU? The power output does degrade over time but you should be fine on a 3070, that's what I have with a 5600x and a 650W PSU and it hasn't missed a beat. From what I've seen the 3080 is a bit more demanding so you may run into some stability issues there.

It's less than a year old, so I should be fine.

And thanks @footle.

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, having only put together my first system earlier this year, and I still really can't decide on whether to double down on it by swapping my RX5700 for a 3000-series card, or just leave it as it is, which is perfectly fine. Another part of me finds that I should buy a Series X for the convenience - I like my PC a lot, but it's simply not as quick to get into games as consoles are, and I'll also find myself checking the forum, or other sites, instead of playing games when I boot it up.

Has anyone here got both a 3000 card and one of the new consoles? What do you find you play on more, and why?

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone here got both a 3000 card and one of the new consoles? What do you find you play on more, and why?

I have a 3080 and PS5.

I only play Demon's Souls on the PS5 but I am currently playing that a lot as it's new and it's Demon's Souls but once that is done with I can't see myself buying multi-format games on anything other than the PC not now that it is in the living room and plugged into the TV plus there are all those games that don't really work on consoles or will never make it to them. Also, Cyberpunk only cost me £21 on the PC so that's a win too...

I went for the PS5 for the exclusives but, also, a decently specced PC with Game Pass has made any need for a Microsoft console redundant as my increasingly dusty One X will testify. It's not a huge amount slower than booting a console either - I think I'm at about five seconds from pressing power to typing the login password. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It's less than a year old, so I should be fine.

And thanks @footle

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, having only put together my first system earlier this year, and I still really can't decide on whether to double down on it by swapping my RX5700 for a 3000-series card, or just leave it as it is, which is perfectly fine. Another part of me finds that I should buy a Series X for the convenience - I like my PC a lot, but it's simply not as quick to get into games as consoles are, and I'll also find myself checking the forum, or other sites, instead of playing games when I boot it up.

I only built a gaming PC about a month ago and I am finding I'm missing the convenience of console gaming, plus I'm WFH in my office and in the evening I'm loathed to sit in the office playing games or pissing about in Lightroom. 

1 hour ago, smithstock said:

Managed to bag myself a 3060 Ti (yay!), It's a welcome upgrade over my current set up and I was honestly expecting not to get one until April or something. 

Anyway, does anyone have an estimate as to the going rate for an ASUS 1070? Before the 30 series dropped, one went for £200 on eBay and I've saw a couple sell for ~£145 since. Can't seem to find any on CeX either. 

Not exactly the most direct comparison but I sold my Palit 1070 on eBay last week for €225. I feel like Asus have a better rep so could fetch more than a Palit. 

Series X and 3080. I’m playing the big multiplats on the PC, but because of the pandemic it’s in the living room away from the room I’m using as an office. The intention isn’t to leave it there long term.

If I want to play something quickly, then the Xbox boots instantly and doesn’t require fiddling with a keyboard. Also better sound and HDR support with a TV, and a better interface for lying back on the couch. And it’s quieter (though my PC isn’t that loud).

with a 5700XT I’d not buy a new graphics card this year. It’s rarely worth buying the incremental year on year versions. Get a console.

9 minutes ago, footle said:

with a 5700XT I’d not buy a new graphics card this year. It’s rarely worth buying the incremental year on year versions. Get a console.

I've got a regular 5700, not the XT, but you're right - it does feel silly buying a new graphics card after I've already spent £300+ on one earlier this year (although I'd probably be able to get a good chunk of that back if I sold it). My PC is connected to my TV as well as my monitor, so I've got the opportunity to couch (or armchair) game already.

I've been having this same conversation with myself about what I should get for a while now and I think I'm just going to leave it. Nothing is currently available anyway, prices are still high and I've got a stack of games already that I can run at 1440p on high/ultra using my current setup, which looks more than good enough for me. I think it's just the RTX Ultra Cyberpunk screenshots that are tempting me, but I'll do my best to abstain.

Just to offer another opinion, I’ve switched from console to pretty much exclusively PC (prob won’t resist the big Nintendo releases) and only have a few small regrets/opinions

- I really miss being able to grab a controller and just get going. There’s always *some* faff

- the mouse/keyboard/controller combo is a bit unwieldy in a sofa setup. I have a lap board which helps but it’s not perfect.

- it’s big and it, at first, did piss the misses off. It does kind of disappear after a while though

On the plus side though, it’s quiet, it’s bloody powerful, I have more games available to me than I can ever play, PC game pass is amazing, I love tinkering with it, games are cheaper, and I love it. And paired with a LG CX it is pretty much a dream. Comfortably hitting 60fps (or visibly very smooth at least thanks to VRR) at 4K and definitely a lot higher in some cases. And I built it, and can upgrade it down the line. That makes me happy. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

Also better sound and HDR support with a TV

In what way?

I connect via HDMI and have no issues with outputting full surround nor HDR. The only connectivity issue I do have is g-sync/VRR, which is not always recognised...

I don't know if it's a historical thing as I played on pc a lot when I was younger but I'm the opposite of the most recent posts.  I've recently put in a 1080 to replace my 970 gtx, got a new ryzen cpu and a 144hz monitor.  I spent 200-250 after selling the old stuff so about the price of say a one x or such.  I just find the pc experience much better.  Pc boots in 10 seconds which is deffo quicker than the ps4 pro I also have.  It's quieter as I have the fans restricted to 40%.  I actually have less crashes I think, plus the ps4 pro has a wierd issue where it stutters on power from sleep.  

New consoles to me feel like pcs with a lot less convenience.  Install is now required and times are roughly similar on each.  Plus you have new technologies on both sides to take advantage of nvme.

I think I bought a pre build with a 3080 last night though the company is saying my address and card details are not matching so god knows if it's happening, I will also be a 'sofa' PC gamer, I can't wait to tinker with it with Cyberpunk.

I upgraded from a Vega 56 to a 3070 and it’s made a huge difference!

DLSS is a game changer for games that support it. RT is awesome, particularly in Minecraft where I’d struggle to go back to “regular” mode. It seems the VR version doesn’t support RT yet which is very disappointing. 

But even “normal” games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Doom Eternal benefit greatly from the extra grunt of the new card. 

If you’re upgrading from “Little” Navi you’ll probably need a 3080 to be suitably impressed.

You sofa PC gamers, do you set your PCs up to boot straight into Steam's Big Picture mode? If I could do that then it would be a lot more convenient, but I have two user accounts as my wife will occasionally use it for work, so the first thing I see when I start it up is the login screen, which necessitates using a keyboard and mouse. I've got the Logitech wireless board with the trackpad built in, so it's a very minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience all the same. I've also got an issue where I'll be midway through a game and I'll just suddenly be taken back to the desktop for no apparent reason, without the game actually crashing.