NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

10 minutes ago, JoeK said:

a)nVidia - becuase if there was stock available on launch day none of this calamity that has befallen my wallet would have happened as I'd be now perfectly happy with 'just' a new GPU

haha thats the reason i ended up with a new system in spent last year, couldnt get a 2070s when they came out! ended up with a 2080ti system...oops!

23 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Hmm.

So, I've given up any pretence that my purchases are merely an upgrade and have moved on to the knowledge that this is now a full new build.

I've got a new case coming to me now...

I'm a hopeless case...pun intended.

However, I'm attempting to put the blame squarely on:

a)nVidia - becuase if there was stock available on launch day none of this calamity that has befallen my wallet would have happened as I'd be now perfectly happy with 'just' a new GPU

b)console manufacturers - my initial excitement of them has been markedly knocked by - shock - lack of stock.

I'm currently in communications with an up and coming lawyer called Rudy Giuliani who apparently thinks this is a ghastly state of affairs and reckons he can at least get me some new rgb fans as compensation.

Curse you technology...why do you toy with me so?

(Bless you technology...I love you really)

Don't feel so bad, I've also gone from not being fussed about a new GPU to buying a 3070 which offers probably 10-15% performance boost (at best, as I game at 1440p) over my 2070S which, even if I *did* need a new card (I don't), will be superseded by a much better 3070 Ti/Super for not much more money in about 6 months.

I tell myself that with more power I can supersample down from 4K, but then consider that the only games I've been playing lately are on PS & PS2 emulators.

Technology, huh?

Edit: Even better, I only bought my 2070S in January - which made me build a whole new Ryzen-based PC in February - to get better performance on Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (which I had been drooling over for a while and bought last December).

And I've still never played the game, only run the benchmarks. :lol:

Honestly, if you're enjoying the tech then this isn't even an expensive hobby. If you like taking photographs, then you'll pay just as much as all this for a "top of the line" DLSR before you've even had a look at lenses for it.

I have narrowed my computer crash to Chrome being a dickhead.

@Lying Cat Yeah, I don't actually have any problem with the expenditure and it's not as if I generally treat myself all that much. Plus the main driver behind getting the 3070 is to help somebody out by letting them have the 2070 Super for an exceptionally good price (and they will see a much bigger than 15% performance increase!)

Just now, Gabe said:

@Lying Cat Yeah, I don't actually have any problem with the expenditure and it's not as if I generally treat myself all that much. Plus the main driver behind getting the 3070 is to help somebody out by letting them have the 2070 Super for an exceptionally good price (and they will see a much bigger than 15% performance increase!)

Also this year has been fucking shit and if Brexit is bad you'll have to trade organs for this stuff!

Might be my last upgrade ever!

47 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Also this year has been fucking shit and if Brexit is bad you'll have to trade organs for this stuff!

Might be my last upgrade ever!

Yup, very true. God knows what the prices of all these things are going to be next year!

The amount of lighting effects being thrown around the screen on Quake II RTX is absolutely obscene.

It's running at 99% GPU load constantly, and making the thing sound like a mini vacuum cleaner. Both GPU and CPU maxing at 80°C, though. So nothing scary other than the noise.

EDIT: Yep. Totally sold on ray-tracing now. Before I used to take the piss, especially back when it was tanking 2080Ti systems down to sub 30fps. Now that things have been optimised I need it on everything.

Real-time reflections... there's just no going back.

I've had a fun evening undervolting this card. I don't think I could guarantee it's 100% stable yet - but so far we've got to 1935Mhz on the Boost Clock and +350Mhz on the Memory.

All at around 100Mv less than nomal and the card is topping out at 52 degrees. The FE cooler is really, really good.

I still haven't fucked around that much with memory clocks on my card.

Although, in all honesty, I just keep forgetting to turn on Afterburner - I stuck another exhaust fan in my computer after popping the top of the case off, and it's (mostly) alleviated the heat problem enough that the CPU and GPU behave themselves in a tiny case that doesn't vent fresh air directly from underneath.

I do wish these cards came with some means to permanently lock in a clock/voltage curve - unlike Afterburner, I'm pretty sure AMD's Wattman solution kept your clocks even after a reboot and not having the software on. The closest thing so far is using various manufacturer BIOSes with NVFlash, which comes with some very obvious risks.

Minecraft and A Short Hike last night at 1440p/144fps, mind. Phwoaaaar

9 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I've had a fun evening undervolting this card. I don't think I could guarantee it's 100% stable yet - but so far we've got to 1935Mhz on the Boost Clock and +350Mhz on the Memory.

All at around 100Mv less than nomal and the card is topping out at 52 degrees. The FE cooler is really, really good.

Have you got some advice for a noob? I’ve done a bit of faffing around just adjusting the default voltage/clock curve, but really interested in playing further. Is it just pick a variable to optimise (memory clock, fans, voltage) and tweak/benchmark until it gets unstable?

Mine is running much warmer than that in game (GPU hits 75 degrees in Forza Horizon for instance). Maybe I just need to invest some proper time

3 hours ago, Siri said:

Minecraft and A Short Hike last night at 1440p/144fps, mind. Phwoaaaar

I did Minecraft as well for a bit yesterday, with RTX on. Even in it's very beta state, it's extremely impressive.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Have you got some advice for a noob? I’ve done a bit of faffing around just adjusting the default voltage/clock curve, but really interested in playing further. Is it just pick a variable to optimise (memory clock, fans, voltage) and tweak/benchmark until it gets unstable?

Mine is running much warmer than that in game (GPU hits 75 degrees in Forza Horizon for instance). Maybe I just need to invest some proper time

I'd take my experience with it with a pinch of salt because I literally only say down and started messing with this sort of stuff yesterday because it's Saturday and we're still in Lockdown.

Basically, the process as far as I can see is this: -

1. Work out exactly how far your GPU boosts normally. Obviously you'll need to put it under some strain with this.

2. In Afterburner, press CTRL+F to bring up the voltage curve (and to pay respects)

3. Cross reference so you can see the voltage it's drawing at it's highest boost.

4. Set the curve so it's - what - 50mV lower for that boost clock.

5. Stress test.

... you need to stress test it in a couple of things. I found stuff like Division 2 (where the benchmark will absolutely take everything your GPU can throw at it) and the synthetics were fine for the most part - it was the Red Dead 2 benchmark for me that really showed instability. So far I've managed to get that running absolutely stable with that, so it's just a case of just playing stuff and then dealing with it if crashes happen.

Here's my curve, by the way.

So we've got a maximum boost of 1965Mhz, and a custom fan profile which has it running at 40% at 50 degrees and then increasing to 50% at 60 degrees, the card running flat out hits an absolute maximum of about 62 Degrees. We're about 100-125mV below stock.

426136808_vCurve.thumb.png.29614c006df3cca59799070cef8d12b3.png

... honestly, I could probably have gone further with this, but was getting tired so I stopped - and honestly, I'm pretty happy with the FE boosted in Strix OC levels at about 8 Degrees cooler than that GPU would be.

One thing that was bothering the fuck out of me last night was that my card had some pretty fierce coil whine; but it seems much less bad this morning, so that might just be all sounds being stranger in early hours, plus my hearing gets a but funny when I'm feeling tired as I have the blissful combination of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. I hadn't noticed up until now as I play games with headphones on, so no biggie really.

Yep, mostly trial and error while pulling sliders on a graph. It's actually quite hard to outright kill a card because of all the thermal/wattage safeguards in place on the BIOS. I mostly followed this to get me started:  https://bjorn3d.com/2020/10/undervolting-the-rtx-3080-and-the-rtx3090/

I usually do what's mentioned on the end of the first page in the article - pull the entire curve down by -200Mhz so everything is undervolted and underclocked, and then raise the clock at the voltage I want. You hit apply, curve rises up again to match that voltage and never goes past it.

It's pretty much a juggling act - Basically, the card downclocks when it hits about 82c, so you want enough juice that the card can reach its maximum boost clock without crashing (the one you dial in), but not enough that the card starts generating excess heat and hitting the thermal limit that triggers the downclock. Basically, you can find situations where a severe undervolt beats out standard overclocking on the 30 series, because the undervolted card is capable of holding the boost clock longer (or even permanently) compared to the overclock.

Likewise, Fans. You're juggling between the card hitting that thermal limit and downclocking itself, versus being able to hear yourself think - and that thermal generation is based on the previous juggling act you just did. That's a personal preference and entirely depends on your tolerance for noise and the card you got.

As for an actual tip: Feel free to use any standard benchmark (3DMark, Heaven, etc), but also try to run a benchmark that tests the ray tracing functions - I personally use Bright Memory: Infinite for this. On Turing/Ampere, it's perfectly possible to have an undervolted card that works fine on everything, only for it to shit itself the second you want to use the tensor cores for DLSS.

Also: At least for Ampere, clock speeds don't actually scale that well outside of synthetics like benchmarks - about 5-10 FPS over the course of 200Mhz, and these cards mostly top out at 2,000Mhz anyway. Between that and boost clock shenanigans, don't be overly concerned about dropping clocks if it means your room doesn't feel or sound like a blast furnace.

3 minutes ago, Siri said:

Also: At least for Ampere, clock speeds don't actually scale that well outside of synthetics like benchmarks - about 5-10 FPS over the course of 200Mhz, and these cards mostly top out at 2,000Mhz anyway. Between that and boost clock shenanigans, don't be overly concerned about dropping clocks if it means your room doesn't feel or sound like a blast furnace.

This is a super-important point. I can hit up to 2050Mhz and hold it on this card, but it's not worth it for the thermals. Essentially, once you get into all this stuff, you'll be tweaking it pretty much forever; the reason I advise starting from the maximum boost your card can naturally achieve and then undervolting from there is because it relieves a lot of the worry behind "pushing it too far". You're very unlikely to permanently damage something by not giving it enough power.

Moved my PC to the front room, installed the 3070 and have it set up for high res, 120hz goodness. 

If I was going to buy one game that’ll really show this off, what would that be? Something I could DLSS up to 4K would be ideal as I’m coming from a 1660 Super. 

5 minutes ago, Pungee said:

I only got the GeForce Now membership from Scan, which is a shame. 

Scan emailed me my CoD code a few days after I got my card. It might be worth sending them an email if yours hasn't arrived yet. Can't hurt!

30 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Scan emailed me my CoD code a few days after I got my card. It might be worth sending them an email if yours hasn't arrived yet. Can't hurt!

Yeah, definitely email them, they'll have bloody loads of codes to give away and considering all the delays I'm sure they give one out without too much hassle.

I just thought i would revisit this thread with my recommendation for some games that look really nice now more and more of you are finally getting your cards. Obviously I am only listing a small selection of titles, but here are a few I picked out. - Personal opinions of course, you may not agree!

Assassins Creed Odyssey. - It already looked amazing, but now I can actually run it in 4K. Granted, it isn't the best optimized game, but I think the RTX just pushes though most of it on max settings. The only things were it struggles are volumetric clouds which kills the framerate when on more than medium. I also get a lot of frame drops when in "some" big populated cities with lots of people. I think when you consider how amazing the textures and lighting and just general detail is, it is kind of to be expected. This is a great game to pick up now as you can buy the mega ultimate or whatever it is called edition with literally everything for peanuts. It includes all the expansions. Hell, why even buy Vallhalla if you have not played this anyway as it is a lot nicer location, and like I say, I think I bought this in the Steam sale for around £15.00

Wolfenstein Youngblood - Not the finest FPS game, but not as bad as the reviews made out. Well this one has raytracing, and DLSS and looks and runs sublimely. Well worth checking out as you can get a key on Ebay for about £12. It has a benchmark built in as well.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I think this is probably the best looking game graphically on any game platform and is best on PC. Tons of options to tweak for graphics and you can pretty much max it all out.

Doom Eternal - This already ran well on lower hardware, but the very fact you can just load it up and hit max on everything is so nice. Yeah the textures and detail is not the best compared to some of the games above, but the pure speed and how nice it looks is a great thing to behold.

Please add some more that you recommend as well. I have just been going through a lot of my older games. Still need to try the VR side of things as well.