NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Are extensions not replacement to cables? Can I not remove the Corsair PCIE cable completely and stick in a third party cable into the PSU and into the GPU? 

You can buy replacement cables but they need to be specific to your PSU. Extension cables do just that though, they run between your existing PSU cable to wherever you are plugging them into. 

I managed to not need any, even for aesthetic reasons, as the CPU cable is invisible at the top of the case, hardly any of the motherboard cable is visible thanks to an excellent right angle ATX adaptor I fitted to tidy the routing up, and the GPU cables are all hidden (very pleasingly given how much of a mess they are) behind the cooling hoses. All the cables were pretty flexy and have very solid connectors though (EVGA PSU)...

New machine finally built. Cabling is a total mess due to every fan in the P500a seemingly wanting it's own MB header, which I wasn't expecting. Will get some extra bits soon.

Unfortunately my life hasn't been fundamentally changed by the power of the 3080 - but there's something inherently satisfying about building a new machine.

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

New machine finally built. Cabling is a total mess due to every fan in the P500a seemingly wanting it's own MB header, which I wasn't expecting. Will get some extra bits soon.

Unfortunately my life hasn't been fundamentally changed by the power of the 3080 - but there's something inherently satisfying about building a new machine.

I swear to god, if Photoshop doesn’t perform better I’ll cry a little. Fucking Adobe...each and every year they release their new version I’m sure the thing gets worse.

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

You can buy replacement cables but they need to be specific to your PSU. Extension cables do just that though, they run between your existing PSU cable to wherever you are plugging them into. 

I managed to not need any, even for aesthetic reasons, as the CPU cable is invisible at the top of the case, hardly any of the motherboard cable is visible thanks to an excellent right angle ATX adaptor I fitted to tidy the routing up, and the GPU cables are all hidden (very pleasingly given how much of a mess they are) behind the cooling hoses. All the cables were pretty flexy and have very solid connectors though (EVGA PSU)...

Which adaptor?

Now on to my next post...

I got in on the NotebooksBilliger drop yesterday. I managed to secure a 3080 order and selected a Hermes drop-off point as my shipping address. The order has now processed and the shipment is confirmed. I'm just worried because the shipment address does not mention anything about the Hermes drop-off (despite being shipped by them). On top of that they're telling me it could take hours for the shipping status to be updated due to Covid. :/

It's going to the Shell petrol station, precisely where the Hermes drop-off point is. So, hopefully someone has some sense to leave it there...

After two months of absolute fuckery I have a gut feeling that this isn't going to end well.

1 minute ago, spanx said:

@Fallows Everything crossed for you 

Thanks. I'm reluctant to contact the petrol station as I'm not even sure the package is on its way there yet. Plus, with the changing shifts of the staff there I don't want to have to keep calling. I could drive over but Germany is quite strict regarding virus regulations. I don't want to piss anyone off.

I might give them one call this afternoon.

@idiwa god damn, that is a good looking build. 

So you're right extensions are just straight cables that run from the end of the manufacturers cable to the component. They are a nightmare to hide in the back. The only other alternative are custom cables specific for your psu. The reason being the pin out from the psu, doesn't map 1:1 to where you plug it into a component. There's usually some cross over and in the case of the 24 pin, capacitors, splits and other fun stuff. 

If you want to get a tighter bend on your existing cable, let it sit on a warm radiator for a while, until it loosens up. Then form it and hold it whilst it cools. 

47 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Thanks so much @Lying Cat - This has added some much-needed festive cheer to our household.

No problem - hope you enjoy it!

In other computer news, I think I agree with Games Nexus now that buying a high airflow case and running the fans slower is actually quieter than buying a quiet case. All in all, pretty impressed with the P500a, if you ignore the fact that it didn't come with a fan controller hub. Hugely impressed with @idiwa's cable management though. I always look at stuff like that and wonder where the extra stuff goes.

I've never attempted to put the intestines back inside a human before (and having said that, I ought to clarify that I've never taken them out either!), but I always imagine it's a lot like trying to work out what to do with all the cable... excess. Custom cabling is probably the answer really, as I'm just using the standard plasticky Seasonic ones at the moment - but I'm trying not to go down that rabbit hole. The moment I discovered that double sleeving nerdy card games was a thing I set myself on a very dangerous road.

I looked at @idiwa's case and am jealous of all that space in there. What case is it and what size fans does it take? I've been thinking about a case upgrade for a while, perhaps I should treat myself for Christmas (on the basis I probably won't get a 3070 by then).

15 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

3060ti's due before the end of the year with 2080super equal power. Very nice. Wonder if they will hit a base 400 pounds.

So we will actually be able to buy them next March or April?

Or is that too optimistic do people think?

It's a complete joke that 2 months after release you can't just log into Scan and buy a 3080.

Crazy hard to get for the first couple of weeks, even the first month I can understand but 2 months? and it's not like there are millions of them being sold is it. 

I refreshed my tracking page and noticed a "Redirect" button on there. The next page then allowed me to insert a postcode in order to select the drop-off point as the new delivery location. Nice!

Now I just have to hope that the delivery driver doesn't either end up getting hit by a meteorite or fucked up by Batman.