NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Just now, Lying Cat said:

It was French. French games of the era were pretty prone to that sort of thing, in hindsight.

I went from a BBC Micro (no C64 for me!) to the Amiga, and it was probably the biggest generational leap I've ever experienced in the videogame world. Perhaps Mario 64 rivals it, maybe.

Ah, for me it was seeing Monkey Island 2 on PC that was the jaw-drop moment. 

Soon as that came out, it was the spark that led me to pursue a life of PC gaming.

Man, at the time I thought it was like some cartoon brought to life. Bloody amazing. Still is actually - in an idle moment I watched a run-through of the thing on youtube (I was particularly bored one day, clearly...) and it still holds up wonderfully well!

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Man, at the time I thought it was like some cartoon brought to life. Bloody amazing. Still is actually - in an idle moment I watched a run-through of the thing on youtube (I was particularly bored one day, clearly...) and it still holds up wonderfully well!

Pixel art holds up well, much better than early polygons did. Like, loads better. I tried to get my parents to play the Monkey Island games because they spent absolutely ages playing through the Acornsoft Text Adventures on the BBC, but I guess it was too different and they never did. We're absolutely way off topic now though, we should probably be justifying all the money we just spent getting a couple more frames per second on games that are going to look basically the same as before for us.

8 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Pixel art holds up well, much better than early polygons did. Like, loads better. I tried to get my parents to play the Monkey Island games because they spent absolutely ages playing through the Acornsoft Text Adventures on the BBC, but I guess it was too different and they never did. We're absolutely way off topic now though, we should probably be justifying all the money we just spent getting a couple more frames per second on games that are going to look basically the same as before for us.

We're a broad church, us PC gamers really ;) 

14 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I went from a BBC Micro (no C64 for me!) to the Amiga, and it was probably the biggest generational leap I've ever experienced in the videogame world. Perhaps Mario 64 rivals it, maybe.

Oh yes! C64 -> Amiga for me. Then booting up Shadow Of The Beast. And messing around with multitasking in Workbench. Jeez. Blew my mind at the time. Used that computer for a few years on my Computer Science course at Uni. What a machine. 

Although mostly game on consoles these days because they require less management :D Still love having a PC around because I like to tinker with things and PCs scratch that tech itch. Also use it for VR. 

Bit fed up of how expensive it all is now though £700+ GPUs etc. Guessing in real terms it's cheaper than the Amiga days.

7 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Either that or being wheeled out to beat poor old Garry Kasparov in chess again.

You joke, but AlphaGo's performance was actually quite unsettling. I know it's not about to start taking over the world or anything and it's (hopefully!) not capable of a hard takeoff, but it was definitely a glimpse at the future. It sort of felt like the birth of something.

23 hours ago, JoeK said:

I'm starting to get a little...erm...itchy with regards my build now, it has to be said. I'm currently being a good boy and hanging on to assemble everything until my damn CPU turns up (and despite being fairly early in the lists for the one I bought - 64 out of 500-plus), there's no real idea on how long it'll be.

I'm in a just about identical position to you.  My PC is at the bottom of a growing hi-fi stack; I'm loathe to take my hi-fi stack apart to get proper access to the PC for changing what is now quite a few parts, only to have to do it all again when the CPU turns up.  I'm currently in position ~200 for the 5950x, so it could be some time...

Talk in the recent console threads really bring home how different PC gaming and consoles still is. 

If I buy a 3070 my old games had better look and run better than on my 970. I won't have to wait and hope that the devolpers will patch the game to run at more than 30fps, or allow higher resolution modes or do something as basic as 16xAF.

As for backwards compatibility I fancied playing the original Half Life yesterday and although it is for sale on Steam I knew I had still had my original discs. I googled to see if the CDs will work on Windows 10, they will and I found that if I enter my original CD key into Steam it will add the game to my account. 

10 minutes later I was playing Half Life. 

I love PC gaming. 

I've kind of lost the appetite I had for a new CPU.

The 6600K I have combined with the 3080 is doing perfectly fine in pretty much everything currently out that I throw at it, so the need just isn't there.

Not to mention that in order to upgrade the CPU I also need a new case, mobo, RAM - it all just seems like a lot of faff for a fairly minimal performance gain.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

The 6600K I have combined with the 3080 is doing perfectly fine in pretty much everything currently out that I throw at it, so the need just isn't there.

Not to mention that in order to upgrade the CPU I also need a new case, mobo, RAM - it all just seems like a lot of faff for a fairly minimal performance gain.

Indeed.

The new CPUs offer zero to negligible performance gain to 99% of gaming when compared with the last generation of CPUs. I probably still would have bought one had they not sold out before checking benchmarks (it is pretty shit for AMD to lift that embargo the moment they were on sale) as there is some possible future potential/performance growth but, instead, picked up a much cheaper 3600x and am having no problems at all reaching crazy frame rates. The x570 board still has those new CPUs to grow into should they ever be able to offer tangible improvements.

Given the much higher cost of the GPU I am happy for that to be earning its keep.

15 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I've been saying it for years but the need for cutting edge cpu's for high end gaming has been overrated for years.

If you crank everything to very/high ultra

If you play at 4k or even at 1440p with the above

If you have a non 240hz+ screen and it tops out at around 120/144hz

If you don't play exclusively low demanding competitive games

You don't need a tonne of high end/cutting edge cpu performance! Just enough frames to feed your GPU which is often what will be maxed out before your CPU's ability to feed frames becomes an issue. And of course enough headroom to not cause issues with frame timings.

As game engines mature and scale to the new consoles I'm sure that will change but you really don't need £400+ cpus to feed high end gaming. I wouldn't bother until you noticing issues with frame pacing or minimum frame rates that cause the games to not feel smooth. I'm holding on to my 8700k until the DDR5 gen if I can! Stuff like gsync helps too where any dips between 40-60fps don't really feed bad at all.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

I dunno - I’m seeing my 6600k at 100% with a few older titles like Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider at ultra settings, 1440p, 144hz.

It’s fine - I just turn a few things down but you can experience the bottleneck with a 3070. Nothing that would cause me to shell out straight away but something I plan to do in future. 

Ideally, it would be nice to upgrade CPU/Mobo knowing you could get a few generations out of the socket. AMD is currently end of line, don’t know about Intel’s current gen.

Whats the deal with cable extensions? I finished my first build on Saturday and it all went smooth, posted first time etc. The only slap head fuck up was not being able to get the wifi working until I realised I'd not fitted the aerials out the back of the I/O panel.

The Corsair PSU cables are a bit shite though. I went for a modular RMX 750. The PCIE cable for the GPU specifically is crap, the 2pin split (8pin 6 and 2) is shite. The force of the cable bend means its popped out a few times from the GPU. Putting the case side panel on last night for the first time the main body of the GPU PCIE cable is getting even more bent. 

Are extensions not replacement to cables? Can I not remove the Corsair PCIE cable completely and stick in a third party cable into the PSU and into the GPU? 

idiwa PC build - 00002.jpg

idiwa PC build - 00004.jpg

idiwa PC build - 00001.jpg

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Stock alert just pinged 3070, 80 and 90 at a German store www.notebooksbilliger.ge

Can check if you want but it means Scan ones should be here soon too.

The Spanish and French stores both dropped FE's shortly after that - but only had 3070s and 3090s - no 3080s.

Fingers crossed Scan post some soon

2 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Where are the product pages for the FE's on Scan? All I see are third party cards

They are only generated at the time of the drop and have a unique URL that goes when the drop is all gone...

You get to it from either the Nvidia "buy now" store page, or a telegram part alert (or similar)

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Stock alert just pinged 3070, 80 and 90 at a German store www.notebooksbilliger.ge

Can check if you want but it means Scan ones should be here soon too.

Is that the Founders Edition or just normal cards? Amazon have been regularly pinging for non-FE cards over the past week (as have Novatech).