NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

14 hours ago, spanx said:

Hrm, just had an issue with my CX screen intermittently flickering black, for less than a second at a time. Restarting didn’t fix, but unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable seems to have resolved it for now. Is this something to do with the TV firmware issues with Gsync? Did a bit of digging online and this seems to be the case but I know you guys are more knowledgeable. 

Does Gsync work over HDMI? I thought it was just over DisplayPort.

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

Works for me on an LG TV...

Also, and sorry for quoting myself, I cannot recommend PC gaming on a big modern TV highly enough.

HDR, 4k, and 120Hz with everything set to the maximum shiny level really is quite the spectacle.

6 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Only 1 issue, they cost £1400 which would build you a pretty nice 3070 PC.

Of course.

But, I'm advocating more for those, like me, that might not have considered a living room based PC before now. It's a real nice bonus that we now have TV tech that supercedes monitors (for gaming at least).

It's the HDR that is the biggest visual upgrade for me though and that has a much lower entry point than the VRR enabled sets.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Of course.

But, I'm advocating more for those, like me, that might not have considered a living room based PC before now. It's a real nice bonus that we now have TV tech that supercedes monitors (for gaming at least).

It's the HDR that is the biggest visual upgrade for me though and that has a much lower entry point than the VRR enabled sets.

Yeah, I understand. I didn't mean to come across as snippy I'm just a little frustrated that every TV review seems to amount to 'buy an OLED'

My main problem is I enjoy playing a lot of mouse and keyboard games and I still haven't come across any solution that is as comfortable as sitting at a desk. I have a 32" Sony beside the PC but no way am I fitting a 55" OLED in this room.

I bought a lap board which is OK although quite unwieldy. PC gaming in the living room is good though; I do miss some of the ease of console gaming - flicking it on with a pad without getting up, quick resume etc. I must admit I love the fact my PC is very personal to me. I chose its bits, I’ve assembled it. I’ve learned how it works. And in return I have an unrivalled experience. The games perform amazingly. I am a convert, although unless Sony follow through with the promise of more PC ports I’ll definitely get a PS5 at some point. 

There's definitely more faff involved with PC gaming. For me, I have to run a batch file to switch to the TV, then grab a wireless keyboard and my pad and switch to the sofa, before launching a game from whatever service I've bought it from. 

The results are worth it though. :D

You have to put in a little extra effort with PC for sure but consoles always feel so limited to me. 

Another thing I have come to realise is I now have over a decade invested into various PC digital game stores, not a chance in hell I am giving that up to switch to a console. Plus we always hear about the exclusives on the Sony and Nintendo platforms as a reason for consoles over PCs, what about all the exclusives PC has? it has entire genres the consoles barely scratch.

I buy consoles as well but if I had to choose, I would take Total War, Starcraft, CS:GO, Dota 2, WoW and others over Nathan Drake and Zelda all day every day. I honestly think if you only have time for one platform then PC is the clear way to go, the variety of games available is astounding now and you can tailor them how you want. Not happy with the 30 fps? lower settings or buy a new card etc

31 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I would take Total War, Starcraft, CS:GO, Dota 2, WoW and others over Nathan Drake and Zelda all day every day.

Practically all those mentioned PC exclusives are built for KB/M so yes, if you want to play that sort of game, PC is really the only place to play them. Best PC exclusive is obviously SCS Software's Truck Simulator :D.

Or you treat it as the Ultimate DirectXBox, which is how I tend to use it these days as KB/M gaming requires too much dedication for my limited gaming time.

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

Yeah, I understand. I didn't mean to come across as snippy I'm just a little frustrated that every TV review seems to amount to 'buy an OLED'

My main problem is I enjoy playing a lot of mouse and keyboard games and I still haven't come across any solution that is as comfortable as sitting at a desk. I have a 32" Sony beside the PC but no way am I fitting a 55" OLED in this room.

Cough, 48", cough?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

19 hours ago, Mallet said:

Didn't come across as snippy and I can see why the OLED solution might be grating as it is definitely not the most practical, nor affordable, option for everyone.

I get the M+K problem too and it is indeed the biggest hassle in PC living room gaming. For now I seem to be managing with a keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the sofa beside me. I could improve the mouse position by elevating it maybe 10cm which is easily done but keyboard on lap is fine (for WASD type gaming at least).

BTW, every TV review conclusion is more specific as it is 'buy an LG OLED',  and rightly so ;)

Day 60 - no Nvidia FE drop at Scan today...

image.png.facf1f6aa187b8aa6fde2225b963332a.png

One thing I'm finding frustrating (beyond the obvious!) is watching the conversations on the Telegram 3080 part-alert  chat group.  Due to the relative scarcity of stock and the inability of sites to put up orders and fulfil them reliably, a lot of people on the chat seem to be ordering multiple times.  Many times this is to hedge their bets as one of the orders gets cancelled when the company realise they cant get any stock and have over allocated - but I'm also seeing plenty of people successfully getting two or three cards delivered, and then sending back the ones they don't want.  This is just making the stock and ordering situation worse!  Arghhh. <_<

...and breathe

I'm starting to get a little...erm...itchy with regards my build now, it has to be said. I'm currently being a good boy and hanging on to assemble everything until my damn CPU turns up (and despite being fairly early in the lists for the one I bought - 64 out of 500-plus), there's no real idea on how long it'll be.

PXL_20201116_203048177.jpg.41a833304d8a037049ad1918fd423cec.jpg

(so much good stuff in these boxes...won't get the girl, mind)

I keep on opening things and looking at 'em, but the thought of having to open up the PC multiple times and do the required cabling etc that will be needed snaps me into reality again. Some major changes going on, and I really don't want to be faffing around doing cable management any more than once...My current build is without doubt the neatest and most lovely cable managed  thing I've ever done. 

After all this is done, it ain't gonna be touched for another couple of years :P 

15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm starting to get a little...erm...itchy with regards my build now, it has to be said.

This is a familiar feeling. I tend to assume that non-installed components are slowly breaking due to background radiation or something.

15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

After all this is done, it ain't gonna be touched for another couple of years :P 

Aw, it'd be a shame not to at least turn it on once after all this. Still, maybe you're like my father. Bought an E-Type and then refused to drive the fucking thing.

3 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Aw, it'd be a shame not to at least turn it on once after all this. Still, maybe you're like my father. Bought an E-Type and then refused to drive the fucking thing.

It must not be touched. It must be sealed in a dust-free environment deep within the depths of the earth whilst I play on my Atari ST. 

27 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm starting to get a little...erm...itchy with regards my build now, it has to be said. I'm currently being a good boy and hanging on to assemble everything until my damn CPU turns up (and despite being fairly early in the lists for the one I bought - 64 out of 500-plus), there's no real idea on how long it'll be.

PXL_20201116_203048177.jpg.41a833304d8a037049ad1918fd423cec.jpg

Might be sooner than you think, they had 40 5900’s in this past weekend so you’ll probably be in the next batch...

Got those drives as well btw, phew!

7 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Oh my fucking God and to think I respected you.

And that was your first mistake.

2 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Might be sooner than you think, they had 40 5900’s in this past weekend so you’ll probably be in the next batch...

Got those drives as well btw, phew!

Glad the drives arrived! 

And yeah, I suspect the CPUs will arrive soonish - although I'm waiting for the 5950, so we'll see how many they get in each batch I guess!

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

And that was your first mistake.

Glad the drives arrived! 

And yeah, I suspect the CPUs will arrive soonish - although I'm waiting for the 5950, so we'll see how many they get in each batch I guess!

Ah, soz, I thought you’d gone for the 5900!

Alright, Captain Blood was an amazing game. I had it on my (much better than the ST) Amiga. I was about 8 when I "acquired" a copy of it and I had literally no idea what I was doing at all. It took me about 5 years to return to that fucker and give it another go - and I did indeed see it's brilliance. I guess if you categorised it in terms of modern games, it's sort of a Walking Simulator?

3 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Alright, Captain Blood was an amazing game. I had it on my (much better than the ST) Amiga. I was about 8 when I "acquired" a copy of it and I had literally no idea what I was doing at all. It took me about 5 years to return to that fucker and give it another go - and I did indeed see it's brilliance. I guess if you categorised it in terms of modern games, it's sort of a Walking Simulator?

I was never quite sure what it was, but it always amazed me with the whole language thing it had. 

It had a very, very strange ending. And in a game where everything was strange that must have took some doing.

To be fair, I really hated the Atari ST. It was a huge disappointment after the Spectrum, and over the years I had the thing, I was constantly using the Speccy more!

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I was never quite sure what it was, but it always amazed me with the whole language thing it had. 

It had a very, very strange ending. And in a game where everything was strange that must have took some doing.

It was French. French games of the era were pretty prone to that sort of thing, in hindsight.

I went from a BBC Micro (no C64 for me!) to the Amiga, and it was probably the biggest generational leap I've ever experienced in the videogame world. Perhaps Mario 64 rivals it, maybe.