NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

21 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Is this pretty much everyone who wanted a card now with one in hand? And the handsome FE ones mostly too?

I'd love a 3080 FE but I've been waiting on a Zotac 3080 for £689.99 since launch day. 63rd in the queue... Gutted to see you all receiving an arguably better card at a cheaper price. I wanted to pay for mine monthly over 3 years though so it still works out nicely for me to stick with my preorder

5 minutes ago, iwan_canobi said:

No. :doh:

Sorry!

Thought everyone was sorted but things are certainly looking much better than just a few weeks ago when delivery expectations had been pushed back to next year. Hell, some were even considering turning to the Radeon side. Radeon! 

2 minutes ago, JackG4 said:

I'd love a 3080 FE but I've been waiting on a Zotac 3080 for £689.99 since launch day. 63rd in the queue... Gutted to see you all receiving an arguably better card at a cheaper price. I wanted to pay for mine monthly over 3 years though so it still works out nicely for me to stick with my preorder

The Zotac was the first attempt I made but was cancelled by Amazon. I don't think it it inferior though as IIRC it had a slightly lower power draw and ran quieter than the FE.

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The Zotac was the first attempt I made but was cancelled by Amazon. I don't think it it inferior though as IIRC it had a slightly lower power draw and ran quieter than the FE.

With the crashing issues highlighted just after launch it looked like the Zotac was pulling lower voltages (and sitting at lower temps) to avoid crashing at higher boost clocks from the inferior build quality to the FE. Not surprised as they needed to save money to try and hit near MSRP. It's only ~1-3 fps difference normally though. Most cards that launched initially sub-£700 all seem to be within 5 fps of each other

3 minutes ago, JackG4 said:

With the crashing issues highlighted just after launch it looked like the Zotac was pulling lower voltages (and sitting at lower temps) to avoid crashing at higher boost clocks from the inferior building quality to the FE. Not surprised as they needed to save money to try and hit near MSRP. It's only ~1-3 fps difference normally though. Most cards that launched initially sub-£700 all seem to be within 5 fps of each other

Yeah, all margin of error differences on the frame rates and, even if repeatable, they would be unnoticeable in the real world.

27 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Sorry!

Thought everyone was sorted but things are certainly looking much better than just a few weeks ago when delivery expectations had been pushed back to next year. Hell, some were even considering turning to the Radeon side. Radeon! 

I had a pre-order with Ebuyer for the Zotac 3070, but there was no ETA, so when the very one came up I jumped on it and cancelled the ebuyer one. Then very just cancelled my order even though it said it had already been packed. :( I had also ordered a pre-build but decided to cancel that so I could get on the 5600X bandwagon. Nabbed one of those but now GPU-less! 

I've bought a 1080Ti from Cheeko on here though so that will arrive tomorrow and tide me over, going to wait until the madness dies down and see what the AMD side has to offer once benchmarks come out. Currently building the rig as we speak. :D 

Very poor service!

I missed out on the zen3's as I wanted to end benchmarks and decide whether the 5600 or 5800 would be best for my aims for this build which is focused on 4k gaming and zero productivity. Those benchmarks showed no performance  difference between the two chips at that resolution my, indeed, no difference across 20 odd CPUs from both AMD my Intel. With that in mind  decided I was sick of waiting on bits so picked up a 3600x instead. I'll see how things pan out with ames utilising the new jobs over the next year or so but imagine my next CPU upgrade will be a fair while off.

Saved £100 which has gone on a decent keyboard so quite pleased. 

My next worry/hassle  is plugging it into rhe TV as I do not have a spare HDMI 2.1 port and have been unable to find a splitter that can handle 120hz/4k. I do have the 5m HDMI cable that @Uzi has confirmed works though so should  be able to rig something up for now..

Goddamnit, I hate DPD. They charge us £12 for the pleasure of delivering to the "Highlands" (I'm just over an hour away from Aberdeen and you never leave an A road to get to me. It's not like I'm half way up a mountain 2 hours north of Inverness). I see my status change from "Out for delivery" to "Return to depot", to find out the driver broke down and is going home. He must have taken a swipe from one of the Wampas outside of Elgin, and cascaded down the side of a mountain.

I've had nothing but issues with DPD since moving up here, and yet with Amazon, I can order something the previous evening and it be at my door for 7am.

So yeah, no 3080 today.

I really wish I had taken the plunge on the 3070 the other day now. Not so much for my immediate needs, but more so because I could instantly sell my 2070 Super for £250, which would help a friend out with his build. Oh well, perhaps stock will come back in soon enough on the FE and I'll pick one up.

23 minutes ago, The Fox said:

My 3080 FE came today. Can't do anything with it of course, because the NR200P case I want to put it in has been out of stock forever, but hey ho.

My boxed card still looks at me.

Pleading with me to install her.

But ‘NO!’ I say.

I will be patient until the CPU arrives, and then my day of Pc making will be more enjoyable indeed!

5 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I will be patient until the CPU arrives, and then my day of Pc making will be more enjoyable indeed!

As someone who has been slowly making a PC over the last three days I can assure you that it is not enjoyable. Apart from the moment where it doesn't make a loud pop and shut down after hitting the power button  for rhe first time, the rest has been an endless fiddly horror of double and triple checking skinny wires and tiny connectors.

Fitting the radiator was an unbelievable drag of pissing around trying to seat bolts through the case, the unsecured fan, and then into the radiator itself, only to be followed by the bother of attaching the block to the CPU with barely any clearance due to my jazzy RAM.

All that said, I shall be very pleased with myself once I am playing games on the big TV at (up to) 120Hz and in 4K. 

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

As someone who has been slowly making a PC over the last three days I can assure you that it is not enjoyable. Apart from the moment where it doesn't make a loud pop and shut down after hitting the power button  for rhe first time, the rest has been an endless fiddly horror of double and triple checking skinny wires and tiny connectors.

Fitting the radiator was an unbelievable drag of pissing around trying to seat bolts through the case, the unsecured fan, and then into the radiator itself, only to be followed by the bother of attaching the block to the CPU with barely any clearance due to my jazzy RAM.

All that said, I shall be very pleased with myself once I am playing games on the big TV at (up to) 120Hz and in 4K. 

Oh man, I’ve been building PCs for around 20 years now.

I love it!

It’s effectively a very expensive model kit to me.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Oh man, I’ve been building PCs for around 20 years now.

I love it!

It’s effectively a very expensive model kit to me.

I build one every 5 years at very best, although it is 8 or 9 years since my last, from scratch, build. I tend to hate it every single time - a bit because it is fiddly with all the tiny, slightly different, connectors scattered all around the motherboard, but mostly due to my constant worry that I'll blow it all up. 

I imagine some of the stress would dissappear if I were more familiar with the various parts though. Also, there is lots that is much easier here than my last build- no hard drives at all for starters, but also much smarter case designs nowadays. That said, I added unnecessary grief with the AIO watercooler and that was only because I like the jazzy display so all my own fault.

I found two odd wires with tiny connectors in the motherboard box just now which I can't see mentioned in the manual. I had to search for them online and found out they are thermistors so I'll need to plug them in later too and find some way to tidy them out of sight a bit whilst still being useful.

Grrr.

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

I build one every 5 years at very best, although it is 8 or 9 years since my last, from scratch, build. I tend to hate it every single time - a bit because it is fiddly with all the tiny, slightly different, connectors scattered all around the motherboard, but mostly due to my constant worry that I'll blow it all up. 

I imagine some of the stress would dissappear if I were more familiar with the various parts though. Also, there is lots that is much easier here than my last build- no hard drives at all for starters, but also much smarter case designs nowadays. That said, I added unnecessary grief with the AIO watercooler and that was only because I like the jazzy display so all my own fault.

I found two odd wires with tiny connectors in the motherboard box just now which I can't see mentioned in the manual. I had to search for them online and found out they are thermistors so I'll need to plug them in later too and find some way to tidy them out of sight a bit whilst still being useful.

Grrr.

I should point out that there are plenty of moments that cause me to swear profusely each and every time I built one, but clearly when you’re into S&M as much as I apparently am, it’s all part of the kink.

11 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I should point out that there are plenty of moments that cause me to swear profusely each and every time I built one, but clearly when you’re into S&M as much as I apparently am, it’s all part of the kink.

Haha!

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Ok, time for me to own up.

Because my 5900x isn’t due until the 21st, at the weekend I convinced myself that I didn’t really need it and I could get along fine with a 3900x instead. So I went onto Scan and ordered one. Then I phoned them to cancel the 5900x. Couldn’t get through.

Next day I had a harsh word with myself and cancelled the 3900x instead :lol:

Of course, the ridiculous thing about this is that the 3900x probably would have been just fine!

So, got my CoD and Geforce Now codes from Scan. CoD.. meh, I'll give it a go as it's free, but what exactly *is* Geforce Now. It seems to be a PS Now type streaming service for your Steam library? Does it come with games? Bit confused.

Anyway, so far my shiny new GPU has mainly been hijacked by my girlfriend to render all her design concepts for her course. Gaming starts now. 

8 minutes ago, spanx said:

So, got my CoD and Geforce Now codes from Scan. CoD.. meh, I'll give it a go as it's free, but what exactly *is* Geforce Now. It seems to be a PS Now type streaming service for your Steam library? Does it come with games? Bit confused.

Anyway, so far my shiny new GPU has mainly been hijacked by my girlfriend to render all her design concepts for her course. Gaming starts now. 

Be thankful you didn't get Watch Dogs! 

No idea about GeForce Now either. I signed but just seems like a streaming service like you say. 

5 minutes ago, Len said:

Yep, I'm in just give me a holler. 

Everyone has to have a 30 series card though, right? ;)

I have one, but I've not plugged it in yet. I've entered into a complicated situation where my girlfriend has apparently promised my old computer to one of her friends and bought a new case for it (as the current case is pretty battered). So I have to build the new computer, keeping the obvious parts from my OLD computer, then rebuild my OLD computer keeping the obvious parts from somebody elses old computer.

It feels like a disaster waiting to happen, so I'm just going to wait for everything to be here and in the same room before I go ahead with anything.

edit - and to deflate everything, GTFO hits solid 144fps on a 1080Ti at 1440p, so no need for any new cards at all.

2 minutes ago, Len said:

Be thankful you didn't get Watch Dogs! 

No idea about GeForce Now either. I signed but just seems like a streaming service like you say. 

It's a bit different from a normal streaming service as you can use the games that you already own through Steam on it - and possibly other platforms. Except not some games because publishers can opt out, presumably because they'd prefer you to double dip on other streaming places. 

What is everyone doing with their old cards if upgrading? Might be interested in something better for my older PC something better than my old 980Ti. PM me if anyone is wanting rid of a card. Needs to have at least 8GB of VRAM ideally.

5 hours ago, spanx said:

COD seems a much better result than the Watch Dogs I still need to cash in.

Also, I think my 3080 build is now all together and, amazingly, seems to work (bar some bother with my monitor needing to be forced to recognze the HDMI input) as it boots to the BIOS and all the parts seem to have been recognized.

The Windows USB boot drive I made on the macbook is the next stumbling block as that is not working at all. That can be tomorrow's problem though.

One day I will play a shiny game on it.