NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

I think this has put me off upgrading my ancient PC for even longer.

I see Nvidia is still doing their bullshit of pushing up the definition of 'mid-range' but that's now hit an eye-watering $599 - you can buy an entire next-gen console for that.

5 minutes ago, Halo said:

I see Nvidia is still doing their bullshit of pushing up the definition of 'mid-range' but that's now hit an eye-watering $599 - you can buy an entire next-gen console for that.

Id call the 3080 a high end card rather than midrange. The 3090 is amazing and crazy and stupid. Much like the old Ti but at a reasonable (:lol:) price. The 3080 is going to do everything most people will throw at it for years to come.

The the 3070 offers mid range and the older 20xx cards can fill in the budget segment.

5 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Id call the 3080 a high end card rather than midrange. The 3090 is amazing and crazy and stupid. Much like the old Ti but at a reasonable (:lol:) price. The 3080 is going to do everything most people will throw at it for years to come.

The the 3070 offers mid range and the older 20xx cards can fill in the budget segment.

A 3070 is £469.00 - I dont know where @Halo getting the 600 dollar figure from 

3080 is flagship. Nvidia are not cheap and haven't been great for pricing for years but this is genuinely the one time in forever they have fucking hit it out  of the park. Presenting previous gen 80TI performance for under £500? Fucking nuts. And the 3080 is stupid good value for the power and features you get.

8 minutes ago, Halo said:

The 3080 is something like two to two and a half times as powerful as your next gen consoles. That’s a significant leap from the situation at the beginning of this gen of consoles, where it was nowhere near as big (50%?)

Just now, thesnwmn said:

The 3070 is deliberately specced and priced to push people into buying a 3080 - Nvidia has pulled these tricks before.

And the 3070 is $500.

5 minutes ago, Uzi said:

A 3070 is £469.00 - I dont know where @Halo getting the 600 dollar figure from 

3080 is flagship. Nvidia are not cheap and haven't been great for pricing for years but this is genuinely the one time in forever they have fucking hit it out  of the park. Presenting previous gen 80TI performance for under £500? Fucking nuts. And the 3080 is stupid good value for the power and features you get.

"Under £500"? Again, this just demonstrates how well Nvidia have managed to push up the prices of GPUs to silly levels over several generations to convince people what the new normal is  - £500 is a crazy price for a graphics card, let alone a mid-range one!

4 minutes ago, Halo said:

The 3070 is deliberately specced and priced to push people into buying a 3080 - Nvidia has pulled these tricks before.

And the 3070 is $500.

What should the price of it be then?

I mean, if the thing is faster than the previous 2080ti which was around $1200.

Edit: Point blank, none of the 3xxx range are even close to 'mid-range'.

You want a card that's still better than anything you'll see on the new consoles, then you'll be able to buy one for around £200 now.

Too expensive?

Find a second hand 1080 and you'll still be able to run things perfectly well for a few more years.

People buy what they want to buy - nothing nVidia sell (or anyone else) is for anything else than profit for them, and that's fine with me. If it's not for everyone, who gives a shit? I'm not buying one for anyone else after all :p  

3 minutes ago, Halo said:

And the 3070 is $500.

I mean of course they want you to spend more. And that bit will work on me if I decide to upgrade. I have. 2070 Super. A 3070 would be an upgrade but I’m put off by the fact it’s only a little faster than the 2080 Ti :lol:

But £500 for mid range seems fine to me when mid range here means playing at 1440p at 60Hz plus with ray tracing and DLSS 2 frosting. Like, that “mid range” is going to beat shit out of the brand new yet to be released consoles.

I mean if people want to save, buy a 2070/2089 Super in a few months and it’s still years of amazing performance.

Anyway no horse here. I’ll end up with all these things because I’m stupid.

1 minute ago, Halo said:

"Under £500"? Again, this just demonstrates how well Nvidia have managed to push up the prices of GPUs to silly levels over several generations to convince people what the new normal is  - £500 is a crazy price for a graphics card, let alone a mid-range one!

This is your subjective position you are placing these things - you could call them mid range low range middle range etc. What you should look at is the performance you are getting which is previous gen flagship card for less than half the price. You can be annoyed at pricing but the time for that was Turing launch - they faced competition this year and have presented good value. There will be a 3060 and other lower end options I'm sure in addition to AMD - but these are priced incredibly well for the tech you get based on the market.

1 minute ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

The 3070 is the one next to the flagship, rather than midrange. 60s are the midrange.

Is it? What does that make the 90?

And we’ve not seen a 60 yet.

All these terms a little nuts and mixed up. My only point is they’re not cheap (although cheaper than most expected) and they offer stunning performance that I think will last.

8 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

All these terms a little nuts and mixed up. My only point is they’re not cheap (although cheaper than most expected) and they offer stunning performance that I think will last.

The 90 is Titan class replacement

The higher end cards won't be cheap - they offer cutting edge performance. An xbox series s will be cheap - a 1660 equivalent will be cheap - but the performance will match. 

16 minutes ago, Uzi said:

This is your subjective position you are placing these things - you could call them mid range low range middle range etc. What you should look at is the performance you are getting which is previous gen flagship card for less than half the price. You can be annoyed at pricing but the time for that was Turing launch - they faced competition this year and have presented good value. There will be a 3060 and other lower end options I'm sure in addition to AMD - but these are priced incredibly well for the tech you get based on the market.

Opinions tend to be subjective, yes!

The time I was personally annoyed was when Nvidia launched Maxwell and they deliberately made a completely awful mid-range offering to shamelessly push people into buying the more expensive 970. They have since repeated pretty much the same trick generation after generation until a £500 graphics card is regarded as the new normal and not their ridiculous super-high-end model, which is now well over a grand.

But, yes, I'm not buying a graphics card for the same price as a next-gen console, especially when you have to buy an OS, a motherboard, a processor, memory, an SSD, PSU etc on top.

And this is someone that has a fondness for PC gaming! I can put up playing FPSes with a controller and not playing in WQHD for that, especially with PC games not being much cheaper than console these days.

7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

The 3090 is the one you don't get if you're at all worried about losing huge amounts on your investment when the 4XXX series come out ;)

2 hours ago, Halo said:

The time I was personally annoyed was when Nvidia launched Maxwell and they deliberately made a completely awful mid-range offering to shamelessly push people into buying the more expensive 970. They have since repeated pretty much the same trick generation after generation until a £500 graphics card is regarded as the new normal and not their ridiculous super-high-end model, which is now well over a grand.

Have they? The 1050Ti, 1060, 1660 and 2060 have all been pretty solid cards. Helps that AMD have been competitive within that price bracket I guess.

1 hour ago, snowbind said:

There will be cheaper cards available later on, there always are. These are the flagship cards that enthusiasts really only care about.

Yep. The Steam hardware survey still shows the 1060 as being the most popular card currently. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one back before the mining craze happened tbh!

Predictably, in the space of 36 hours I've gone from "I can skip this generation, no hassle" to "I'm going to build an entirely new computer". I'm not going to buy anything until the Ryzen 4xxx stuff it out, though, but by all reckonings that's pretty soon anyway.

I can't belive I totally missed this thread and was in the blooming PC thread on what seems like another continent. Silly me. 

Anyway, 3090 for me, want to wait for the EVGA suped up version as per usual but dear god they look awful this time out so may have to be an FE.  It shall be mulled over somewhat but absolutely can't wait.