NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Today’s been a pretty good day all in all...

Hooray! Nice one. I'm still #18 in my slowly-moving queue. They're saying they're due more stock this week but I don't know if that'll include the model I've ordered, and even if so whether they'll get enough to fulfil my order.

Meanwhile the pile of other components grows... CPU due tomorrow maybe, mobo/RAM/fan combo early next week, super-speedy SSD next month?

It's turning into a tragedy of several acts at this point.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

I was going to jump on the 5900X bandwagon, but at the last minute decided it was likely overkill, and that a 3600XT will more than do me for a while.

Firstly it saves me around £300, and I suspect that when paired with my 3070 OC it will be plenty enough to power a 1440 ultrawide at 60-120 Hz.

Which means, with the last piece of the puzzle due for delivery tomorrow, I can now start building the thing I've been planning since July. Hurrah!

I'm doing exactly the same after missing out on one of the 5 series CPU's today due to my spending half an hour reading reviews and looking at benchmarks (really annoyed that these were not made available a few hours (at least) prior to release as buying blind is not ideal. At 4K the difference in gaming performance between this and even the highest spec AMD and Intel chips appears to be trivial so this should do me for a few years at least. Once we start to see increased usage of cores I'll look at an upgrade.

It is the last piece of the build for me too.

Cocks. I knew it was all going slightly too well...I must have missed allocation on the initial batch despite what I thought were exceedingly busy fingers!

So, estimated arrival of the cpu will be end of the month.

Never mind, not a huge issue really.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Cocks. I knew it was all going slightly too well...I must have missed allocation on the initial batch despite what I thought were exceedingly busy fingers!

So, estimated arrival of the cpu will be end of the month.

Never mind, not a huge issue really.

Same here. It really isn’t an issue for me at all as I still don’t have a 3080 yet!

Just seen that it comes with a copy of Far Cry 6 though, which is nice.

12 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Same here. It really isn’t an issue for me at all as I still don’t have a 3080 yet!

Just seen that it comes with a copy of Far Cry 6 though, which is nice.

Yeah - definitely not a game I'd have paid money for, but nice to have in the pile :P

I managed to get a 5600X from Scan, which looks ideal for my needs. I cancelled my AWD order as it didn't make sense to be buying into a 3600X when these were so close! So I've got all the bits out for delivery today, apart from the damn 3070 which I had 2 orders for - one from ebuyer which appeared in stock but then they just said 'durr, we don't know when we will actually get this', and I ordered the MSI one from very which said next day delivery, it was showing as packed on Wednesday but had nothing since then. Still saying delivery on 6th but I'm not so sure that will happen now.

This is my first PC build for about 10 years, but I don't ever recall any kind of day 1 madness like this from back in those days!

13 minutes ago, spanx said:

Any hints that the scalpers were out in force for CPUs too? Only a couple of weeks out from Radeon launch, which I assume will be a nightmare too.

Looking at ebay there are a few listed for about £100 over asking, but it's only a handful. I guess it was a bit more of a risk with the CPU's. I would expect the radeon launch will indeed be a nightmare, since loads that lost out on Nvidia cards will probably try and get them.

I think I'm just gonna get a 3600 for my SFF living room build for now. For 4K gaming I don't think the Gen 3s are worth the extra money currently, but I can always pick up a 5800 or something in the future if the additional cores start to make more of a difference.

8 minutes ago, The Fox said:

I think I'm just gonna get a 3600 for my SFF living room build for now. For 4K gaming I don't think the Gen 3s are worth the extra money currently, but I can always pick up a 5800 or something in the future if the additional cores start to make more of a difference.

I think if my PC was just going to be for gaming then I'd definitely do the same, but my PC is my work horse too so it'll be more than worth it for me I think.

At least that's what I'm telling myself constantly ;) 

13 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

@JoeK How's the 3090 going? Or are you waiting for other bits before you plug it in?

I haven’t plugged it in! With everything else I have in my big box of delight, we’re now talking about a fairly big restructuring of the machine, and I’m basically thinking I’ll wait until the cpu arrives I think. 

It will be a magnificent beast when it’s done though.

5 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I haven’t plugged it in! With everything else I have in my big box of delight, we’re now talking about a fairly big restructuring of the machine, and I’m basically thinking I’ll wait until the cpu arrives I think. 

It will be a magnificent beast when it’s done though.

Awesome. I've managed to get a 5800X, so am now shopping for Motherboards and the like - but for the moment I'll be stuck with this 1080 Ti (although "stuck with this" for that card is a bit of an absurd concept). I bought an M.2 drive as well. Looking forward to not being able to tell the difference in comparison to a standard SSD in all normal uses.

Rapidly running out of posses for everyone :D . Well done folks! The pain is over for you.

My pain is now only a minor niggle, but I've taken some paracetamol for that, and everything's pretty great really :D