NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Don't you have to return any faulty products to Germany though for EVGA? I don't think they have a UK returns address, do they?

The warranty is good, of course, but that is worth bearing in mind.

Correct. Their customer service has been good to me over email for queries but I've not needed their RMA service yet thankfully.

Gigabyte have a service center in the UK and are meant to be good with warranty returns. They also offer up to 4 yr warranty on their gpus with some models (3 years as standard) 

EVGA are amazing but uk and eu are a bit of an afterthought for them. They've very much a US focused company. 

Does the 3080 GDDR6X make up for any short-fall in RAM GB vs the GDDR6 on the 6800XT?

I.e. does 10GB of faster memory on the 3080 make up for having 6GB less of slower memory on the 6800XT?

I'm close to receiving my Zotac 3080 preorder but want this GPU acquisition to be future proof for the next 3-4 years. Don't want to be maxing out the 3080 memory in a couple of years time if it can be avoided now. 3440 x 1440 100Hz is what I game at

20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Has anyone seen any replacements for the 3080 FE  PSU splitter cable thing that looks a little more elegant than the current pigs ear of a solution?

Corsair are making some "soon"

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/blog/prepare-for-nvidia-30-series

I wouldn't touch any unofficial amazon or ebay ones.

7 hours ago, JackG4 said:

Does the 3080 GDDR6X make up for any short-fall in RAM GB vs the GDDR6 on the 6800XT?

I.e. does 10GB of faster memory on the 3080 make up for having 6GB less of slower memory on the 6800XT?

I'm close to receiving my Zotac 3080 preorder but want this GPU acquisition to be future proof for the next 3-4 years. Don't want to be maxing out the 3080 memory in a couple of years time if it can be avoided now. 3440 x 1440 100Hz is what I game at

Dunno. It'll be fun to find out. 3440 * 1440 is only 2/3rds 4k, so I don't think you're going to have a problem.

Although I’m in theory going to buy a Radeon in a couple of weeks, still tempted by a 3080 FE if one becomes available. Joined those telegram groups so we’ll see. 

I just want to play Forza Horizon :(

My 970 craps out after a while, think it runs out of memory. Starts getting very chuggy. 

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

I just want to play Forza Horizon :(

My 970 craps out after a while, think it runs out of memory. Starts getting very chuggy. 

Runs well enough on my 980ti. Don't think it's over demanding on CPU/GPU as it was designed to run on an Xbox One X. Not tried it at 4K though. Happy enough with 1440/60fps looks great. 

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Runs well enough on my 980ti. Don't think it's over demanding on CPU/GPU as it was designed to run on an Xbox One X. Not tried it at 4K though. Happy enough with 1440/60fps looks great. 

Think it’s the weird memory set up with the 970, it has 4GB RAM but not all of it is fast or something. Don’t know, but once the memory usage approaches 4GB it gets slooowwwww

36 minutes ago, spanx said:

Think it’s the weird memory set up with the 970, it has 4GB RAM but not all of it is fast or something. Don’t know, but once the memory usage approaches 4GB it gets slooowwwww

Yes the last 0.5GB has slow access times.... Design decision. Think there was a lawsuit over in the states about it. Technically it has 4GB of VRAM but not just all at the same access speed.

However used to have a 970 when Forza Horizon 4 was released and played it on my PC at the time without issue so not sure what's going on with your setup. I only ran it at 1080p@60fps though so if you are upping the res perhaps it's needing more texture memory and causing issues.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/forza-horizon-4/17900

Looks like the recommend settings need 4GB of VRAM so perhaps it might be worth tweaking the video settings a bit. It should optimise to your setup though. I remember it running *much* smoother than FH3 though :)

10 hours ago, JackG4 said:

Don't confuse RAM allocation with actual usage. 10GB is going to be more than enough for anything for years to come.

Unless of course the game in question is your typical unoptimised Ubisoft mess, or if you want to play something at 4K with 8K textures.

I was thinking about potential buyer's remorse on that one but then I remembered I was already stretching budgets to do the 3080 over the 3070, so the rational bit of my brain is yelling SHUT UP at the rest of it. Hopefully by the time I'd need 20GB RAM in there there would be other reasons to upgrade to a new gen anyway.

I've nearly spent my stash on fast women and booze* many a time so it's good to see some news, he's been pretty good in the past that guy. I'm really looking forward to doing the dance that so many people did in the threads previous pages when it releases /s.

*A completely ridiculous 77" CX instead of the more sane 65" I'll be buying with a TI.

49 minutes ago, milko said:

I was thinking about potential buyer's remorse on that one but then I remembered I was already stretching budgets to do the 3080 over the 3070, so the rational bit of my brain is yelling SHUT UP at the rest of it. Hopefully by the time I'd need 20GB RAM in there there would be other reasons to upgrade to a new gen anyway.

Yep - I'm planning on getting rid of the 3080 a little before the 2022 refreshes of Hopper/RDNA3 are out and get the 80 equivalent then- its probably a 2 year card for me so I wouldn't worry too much about the 10GB - the amount of titles where it will be an issue will be a handful I suspect and it'll just mean putting textures down from Ultra/Stupid to Very High

Also following this upgrade every 2-2.5 years plan always means you get to enjoy the latest tech and not lose too much on resale value - each 2 years prob costs around £100-150 at most which isn't too bad at all.