Jump to content
IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion


Meat
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

 

I just want to play Forza Horizon :(

 

My 970 craps out after a while, think it runs out of memory. Starts getting very chuggy. 

Runs well enough on my 980ti. Don't think it's over demanding on CPU/GPU as it was designed to run on an Xbox One X. Not tried it at 4K though. Happy enough with 1440/60fps looks great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Runs well enough on my 980ti. Don't think it's over demanding on CPU/GPU as it was designed to run on an Xbox One X. Not tried it at 4K though. Happy enough with 1440/60fps looks great. 


Think it’s the weird memory set up with the 970, it has 4GB RAM but not all of it is fast or something. Don’t know, but once the memory usage approaches 4GB it gets slooowwwww

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, spanx said:


Think it’s the weird memory set up with the 970, it has 4GB RAM but not all of it is fast or something. Don’t know, but once the memory usage approaches 4GB it gets slooowwwww

Yes the last 0.5GB has slow access times.... Design decision. Think there was a lawsuit over in the states about it. Technically it has 4GB of VRAM but not just all at the same access speed.

 

However used to have a 970 when Forza Horizon 4 was released and played it on my PC at the time without issue so not sure what's going on with your setup. I only ran it at 1080p@60fps though so if you are upping the res perhaps it's needing more texture memory and causing issues.

 

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/forza-horizon-4/17900

 

Looks like the recommend settings need 4GB of VRAM so perhaps it might be worth tweaking the video settings a bit. It should optimise to your setup though. I remember it running *much* smoother than FH3 though :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JackG4 said:

Does the 3080 GDDR6X make up for any short-fall in RAM GB vs the GDDR6 on the 6800XT?

 

I.e. does 10GB of faster memory on the 3080 make up for having 6GB less of slower memory on the 6800XT?

 

I'm close to receiving my Zotac 3080 preorder but want this GPU acquisition to be future proof for the next 3-4 years. Don't want to be maxing out the 3080 memory in a couple of years time if it can be avoided now. 3440 x 1440 100Hz is what I game at

 

Don't confuse RAM allocation with actual usage. 10GB is going to be more than enough for anything for years to come.

 

Unless of course the game in question is your typical unoptimised Ubisoft mess, or if you want to play something at 4K with 8K textures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking about potential buyer's remorse on that one but then I remembered I was already stretching budgets to do the 3080 over the 3070, so the rational bit of my brain is yelling SHUT UP at the rest of it. Hopefully by the time I'd need 20GB RAM in there there would be other reasons to upgrade to a new gen anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've nearly spent my stash on fast women and booze* many a time so it's good to see some news, he's been pretty good in the past that guy. I'm really looking forward to doing the dance that so many people did in the threads previous pages when it releases /s.

 

 

*A completely ridiculous 77" CX instead of the more sane 65" I'll be buying with a TI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, milko said:

I was thinking about potential buyer's remorse on that one but then I remembered I was already stretching budgets to do the 3080 over the 3070, so the rational bit of my brain is yelling SHUT UP at the rest of it. Hopefully by the time I'd need 20GB RAM in there there would be other reasons to upgrade to a new gen anyway.

Yep - I'm planning on getting rid of the 3080 a little before the 2022 refreshes of Hopper/RDNA3 are out and get the 80 equivalent then- its probably a 2 year card for me so I wouldn't worry too much about the 10GB - the amount of titles where it will be an issue will be a handful I suspect and it'll just mean putting textures down from Ultra/Stupid to Very High

 

Also following this upgrade every 2-2.5 years plan always means you get to enjoy the latest tech and not lose too much on resale value - each 2 years prob costs around £100-150 at most which isn't too bad at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I’m there - any tips for availability info feeds worth following?

 

in other news, yodel claim they delivered my 30XX series package, which is not the case. argh


I’m not especially confident in Yodel’s abilities myself. My card’s due tomorrow. The saving grace I have is that it’s my day off and I’m doing fuck all aside from pressing f5 on the keyboard after 2pm, so hopefully it’ll work out okay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Anyone else getting ready for Ryzen release day tomorrow? 
 

I’ll be there 2pm UK time to fail miserably at buying one :P

 

It’s gonna be even more exciting than Trump v Biden.

 

 

Where does Muk recommend for PC components these days? I failed miserably getting a 3070 but I want to try my luck tomorrow :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Aphex TIm said:

Where does Muk recommend for PC components these days? I failed miserably getting a 3070 but I want to try my luck tomorrow :unsure:

 

I'm not sure there's a single place really. I regularly buy stuff from Scan, Ebuyer, Amazon etc. The last time I bought a CPU I got it from AWD-IT.co.uk. In theory, there shouldn't be the hoopla like we saw with the GPUs, but who really knows!

 

I'm still waiting on reviews though - I'm surprised we haven't seen anything yet, considering the thing's on order later today. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I got a 5900x, but I think it’s gone through as a pre-order :angry:

 

Not that I'm nervous or anything (honest...), but despite a confirmation email from Scan, my order doesn't show on my account page yet. I'm assuming that's just because the system is getting rammed, but...I'll probably not hold my breath for a delivery just for now :P

 

@Mystacon - posted at the same time ;)  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

Not that I'm nervous or anything (honest...), but despite a confirmation email from Scan, my order doesn't show on my account page yet. I'm assuming that's just because the system is getting rammed, but...I'll probably not hold my breath for a delivery just for now :P

 

@Mystacon - posted at the same time ;)  

 


Yep, same here. Next question...if you scroll down your order confirmation email, is there a bit that talks about ‘Pre order’ items?

 

I do, but I’m not sure if it’s just a regular part of their order emails, or if it’s there because it’s actually a pre-order...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mystacon said:


Yep, same here. Next question...if you scroll down your order confirmation email, is there a bit that talks about ‘Pre order’ items?

 

I do, but I’m not sure if it’s just a regular part of their order emails, or if it’s there because it’s actually a pre-order...

 

That's always there, so don't worry unduly about that :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.