NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

I got a Zotac on 'pre-order' from ebuyer for £499, shipping expected 5th November? 

I also had the same thing as everyone else for the FE, but I got through to payment and it appeared to go through, then I got a declined payment from paypal, presumably my card supplier declined it since I'd just spent £500 seconds before. Then I couldn't get back in. GAH!

I have no system at all just now and spotted that some pre-builts were coming out with 3070's in, so I've just went 'bugger it' and ordered one. I know it's not the best time given zen 3 is coming in a few weeks but I've upped the Mobo to an x570 so I can drop one in later down the line. 

So got a 3600, 3070 FE, 16gb corsair 3600mhz ram, asus prime x570 mobo, Intel 1TB M2 SSD plus corsair case and PSU for £1200 from AWD. Happy with that, and when I find the CPU limiting it will be easy to drop in a zen 3 chip.

I can't deny I want a card now, even though my 2070 Super is going to be perfectly fine for a couple of years (probably) at 1440p. Right? Tell me that's probably true so I don't start looking to replace a card I only bought in January!

12 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Right, what's the next steps I can take then? What's the best way to track stock. ;_;

Valuable lessons I learned

There are a bunch of twitter/discord and telegram channels to follow. I think @milko posted some links a few pages back. I'll try and send some later also but basically follow these on your phone and customise your notifications on your phone to make sure the noise or alert makes it obvious you got a GPU alert. 

Set up accounts on any website for potential ordering such as Scan/Ebuyer etc so you can log in immediately when needed - also get your browser or the website to save your address and payment info to auto populate (if a trusted website or your browser can save your payment details) - extra filling in forms and typing in stuff or logging into stuff like Paypal can make you lose valuable time 

Be open to deliveries from Amazon EU - as in DE/ES/FR etc - they send to get a larger pool of stock across Amazon and their alerts go up a little quicker

On Amazon if you can set up the buy now button do it

Set yourself a budget and as soon as you see a card brand you like below it at a known and trusted website - try and order it asap 

Get good at captchas lol  

Basically get alert - see if it meets your budget/criteria/known website - order! See if it goes through - if not - just be patient! It'll happen eventually.

10 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I can't deny I want a card now, even though my 2070 Super is going to be perfectly fine for a couple of years (probably) at 1440p. Right? Tell me that's probably true so I don't start looking to replace a card I only bought in January!

I know Turing architecture shat the bed in terms of price/performance, but you've probably still got another three years of life out of it yet, at the very least. I'm replacing my 1070 back from 2016, and to be honest if it wasn't for Brexit I'd feel very comfortable continuing to run it for one more year.

Phone call had with Klarna Man.

Email confirmed that I have indeed purchased a 3090.

Ebuyer say it should be due sometime first week in Nov.

What have I done?

Still, fuck it. It's only money and nothing is more important than my own happiness.

NOTHING.

I shall warm myself on the glow of the card rather than turn the rads on this winter...

4 minutes ago, Siri said:

I know Turing architecture shat the bed in terms of price/performance, but you've probably still got another three years of life out of it yet, at the very least. I'm replacing my 1070 back from 2016, and to be honest if it wasn't for Brexit I'd feel very comfortable continuing to run it for one more year.

Thanks - this is the kind of common-sense reply I need to hear. I'm more than happy with my current card so it would be silly to change it. I shall review again when the 4xxx series is out.

I'm still going to read this thread and gets pangs of jealousy, of course. :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, Len said:

Aah, that's a shame. Were up for ages on the US site but page totally disappeared now. They do definitely release in waves on their so hopefully back soon..

I haven't been chasing as strongly as I was back when the 3080 was released. I'm just going to hold out and wait until I can just buy one without all the fucking about.

On 28/10/2020 at 14:36, milko said:

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEUTGd8KdJu34Ueqtg 3070

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFciuCdyIDkBORJRFQ 3080

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEgR9Oi4vRLNk6uxyQ 3090

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEii3xRdeufkVau-AQ FE editions of 3070/80/90

https://t.me/joinchat/CCxGwFWqBzYjcNDcRXizkA group chat for all of this, ends up taking comments from all fields but you also sometimes get links in there that aren't in the automated bot channels straight away. Set alerts to mute on this one!

So I'm in all of those except the 3090 one, not that its done anything beyond give me more opportunities to feel like I narrowly missed out. So far.

I think they're adding AMD stuff to it as and when it heads to release.

just posting the Telegram links again for your convenience.

How I got the 3080 FE I am posting this message through the output of, is by happening to be on the group chat ^ which got the Scan alert even faster than the main channel. Do what @Uzi says, set up as much as you can in advance because you're going to need fast fingers when a 'drop' happens. Have Telegram on your phone and whatever device you're online with at any given moment. Make sure you're logged into these accounts and stores on your phone and your computer and so on. Make offerings and sacrifice to various deities. Try not to get too hung up and disappointed when you miss a card, it takes patience and time for all but the luckiest few.

Does anybody need a GTX 980 (Gigabyte Windforce, 3 fans and slightly longer than my 3080, but weighs a lot less!)

1 hour ago, iwan_canobi said:

I got a Zotac on 'pre-order' from ebuyer for £499, shipping expected 5th November? 

I also had the same thing as everyone else for the FE, but I got through to payment and it appeared to go through, then I got a declined payment from paypal, presumably my card supplier declined it since I'd just spent £500 seconds before. Then I couldn't get back in. GAH!

I have no system at all just now and spotted that some pre-builts were coming out with 3070's in, so I've just went 'bugger it' and ordered one. I know it's not the best time given zen 3 is coming in a few weeks but I've upped the Mobo to an x570 so I can drop one in later down the line. 

So got a 3600, 3070 FE, 16gb corsair 3600mhz ram, asus prime x570 mobo, Intel 1TB M2 SSD plus corsair case and PSU for £1200 from AWD. Happy with that, and when I find the CPU limiting it will be easy to drop in a zen 3 chip.

Could you put a link for that system, sounds pretty much what i'm currently after for some 3D work.

2 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Could you put a link for that system, sounds pretty much what i'm currently after for some 3D work.

Sure, it's this one here, with the mobo and ram, and SSD changed - 

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-220t-rgb-ryzen-5-3600-six-core-rtx-3070-8gb-pc-for-gaming.html

I've realised that it doesn't actually state its the FE card, so I've emailed them to find out.

1 hour ago, milko said:

just posting the Telegram links again for your convenience.

How I got the 3080 FE I am posting this message through the output of, is by happening to be on the group chat ^ which got the Scan alert even faster than the main channel. Do what @Uzi says, set up as much as you can in advance because you're going to need fast fingers when a 'drop' happens. Have Telegram on your phone and whatever device you're online with at any given moment. Make sure you're logged into these accounts and stores on your phone and your computer and so on. Make offerings and sacrifice to various deities. Try not to get too hung up and disappointed when you miss a card, it takes patience and time for all but the luckiest few.

Does anybody need a GTX 980 (Gigabyte Windforce, 3 fans and slightly longer than my 3080, but weighs a lot less!)

How much are you looking for, for the 980? It might be a good option to use while I build the rest of my system.

1 hour ago, ThePixelbarks said:

How much are you looking for, for the 980? It might be a good option to use while I build the rest of my system.

Not a clue, haven't thought about it at all yet beyond editing into that post. Whatever's a bit under the going rate on eBay/CEX I should imagine. I'll take a look soon. 

I got a graphics card!

Spoiler

It's a 1660 super so I can actually build this damn pc this side of Christmas with the hope of grabbing a 3080 in the new year, I guess! Hopefully I can sell the 1660 on afterwards. 

Had a swing by eBay and it’s pretty impressive how many of those 3070ss have gone up...

I do hope the person who’s put his preorder up for £1500 has a bird shit on his head.

17 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Had a swing by eBay and it’s pretty impressive how many of those 3070ss have gone up...

I do hope the person who’s put his preorder up for £1500 has a bird shit on his head.

I hope for a lot worse than that.

Just now, Fallows said:

I hope for a lot worse than that.

Well, if it’s pigeon poo and it goes in their eye then that’s potential blindness, so I’m cool with that.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Just looked and it's interesting when you look at completed listings that a lot have been taken down, presumably they didn't get one or had their order cancelled after putting the auction up. Shame that. Annoyingly some still get through...

Screenshot_20201029-204347.png

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I got a graphics card!

Hide contents

It's a 1660 super so I can actually build this damn pc this side of Christmas with the hope of grabbing a 3080 in the new year, I guess! Hopefully I can sell the 1660 on afterwards. 

That's what I'm going for. Which 1660 Super did you buy? Hopefully I can sell it on by June next year and grab a 3070.

16 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thanks - this is the kind of common-sense reply I need to hear. I'm more than happy with my current card so it would be silly to change it. I shall review again when the 4xxx series is out.

I'm still going to read this thread and gets pangs of jealousy, of course. :ph34r:

Yeah man. Don't be nuts. The 2070s is overkill for 1440p anyway, unless you're running a 144Hz monitor.

You'd be an absolute lunatic to buy a 3000 series for that. Fuck, I scrape by at 4k on my 1070!

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Yeah man. Don't be nuts. The 2070s is overkill for 1440p anyway, unless you're running a 144Hz monitor.

You'd be an absolute lunatic to buy a 3000 series for that. Fuck, I scrape by at 4k on my 1070!

And here's me looking at a 3070 for 1080p60...and VR, I mostly want the extra power for VR.

it will be paired with a 2600k...

19 hours ago, ThePixelbarks said:

It seems they go for about £100 on eBay, with the Ti version (this is NOT one of those I want to be clear) more like £150. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-N980WF3OC-4GD-rev-10-11#ov

So, say £70 delivered in the UK?

It'll do a reasonable job still at 1080p and 1440p if you're ok with dropping of graphics levels from the top level stuff and not expect all the frame rates. 

1 hour ago, Lazlow said:

And here's me looking at a 3070 for 1080p60...and VR, I mostly want the extra power for VR.

it will be paired with a 2600k...

Ohhhhh Jeesssus Lazlow!

Nahh you're ok. As that's reasonable for VR (what you got?). With that CPU though, and a 3070, you're only use case is 4k or VR. But I think you might still be losing ~20% of its performance, because that reallly is from the dark ages. :lol:

Clock that badboi to the nines!