NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

42 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

I go intel as they just work.  Ryzen is much more finicky with stuff like memory and I don't do anything other than gaming anyway

Ryzen is not that troublesome at all. Just buy 3200 or 3600 and away you go. It's only wierd if your going to over clock and fiddle with timing etc. Ryzen is simply the better all around choice. Nearly as fast, much cheaper and much more flexible. Oh and cooler and less power hungry. Also you don't have to buy a new motherboard every single time you buy a new chip. Intel have fucked consumers over for years pulling that shit.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So with third party 3080s, how do they work? Are they better/the same/worse? Cheaper? More expensive? Why would you buy from anyone other than Nvidia? 

I saw the EVGA one doesn't have the front and back cooling they made a big deal of in the Nvidia video, for example. 

Usually the coolers and better and quieter. They’re almost invariably cheaper than “Founders Editions” which is basically a name to make people feel less bad about paying more for an inferior product.

Traditionally Nvidia and AMD(ATI) never made their own cards. They sold chips to OEMs who make the cards. It’s a relatively new phenomenon. 

EVGA are good. For some reason they exclusively make Nvidia cards and tend to get some preferential treatment, IIRC. 

There will inevitably be review roundups highlighting the best cards in terms of price, noise, cooling and performance. Usually the more expensive cards don’t tend to provide much more bang for your buck, though, especially if you have no intention of overclocking. 

10 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Ryzen is not that troublesome at all. Just buy 3200 or 3600 and away you go. It's only wierd if your going to over clock and fiddle with timing etc. Ryzen is simply the better all around choice. Nearly as fast, much cheaper and much more flexible. Oh and cooler and less power hungry. Also you don't have to buy a new motherboard every single time you buy a new chip. Intel have fucked consumers over for years pulling that shit.

I got my current 3200mhz memory (Corsair Vengeance) at a bargain price off this very forum from someone who was selling it because it didn't like their new 3 series Ryzen after they upgraded and after doing some reading it's not uncommon for that memory to only clock at 3000 otherwise it causes a crash if it's the "wrong" type of chips used on it.

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

9th gen i5 I think

You can pick up a used i7 9700 from CEX from 220 which would go in the same board and would last for a good while yet (plus can trade in your old one) as not much point upgrading till you see what the next Ryzens are like and it's likely they would be the last ones on the current AM4 boards anyway once DDR5 is available

12 minutes ago, idiwa said:

@dfq23 cheers.

My monitor is a LG 27UK600 which supports AMD Freesync... does that mean if I want the best out of it I'm tied to AMD based GPU or will a NVIDA card still make use of it similar to G-Sync?

Some monitors have been certified by Nvidia to be able to use free sync but the only list I could find doesn't mention yours but this thread seems to say it will work over display port 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1065213-lg-27uk600-w-hdr10-4k-freesync/

21 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

If you're running at high resolutions the CPU matters a lot less.  4k with a 3600 and 3080 would more than adequate

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but what's the deal with this out of interest? You'd think CPU use wouldn't change too much when the GPU's handling the graphics.

6 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but what's the deal with this out of interest? You'd think CPU use wouldn't change too much when the GPU's handling the graphics.

Lower the settings on a game to the minimum at 1080p. The FPS then would be the theoretical max the CPU can pump out and the GPU would have to keep up.

As you increase the graphical settings and resolution the GPU does more as the CPU still only has to do as much work with the physics etc as it was at the lower settings.

That's it in rough terms but this explains better and shows a 3300x can at times beau a 10900k at higher resolutions

There is a video on YT showing a Celeron being used at 4k with no issues

16 hours ago, Isaac said:

No this is pretty typical of new kit, there will be an embargo on benchmarks and reviews until nearer the launch date.

Notice how in DF's video they could just quote percentage improvement, not specific fps numbers yet.

Yeah, but for the first game he said the 2080tis avg FPS at the start. I'm also pretty sure those numbers will be on their site. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ah ok, thanks. So there's no rush to buy the founders one from Nvidia, just wait for the equivalent third party version to come out. I think I saw someone say EVGA are the best?

The founders editions and other select cards get the best slices of silicon, so should be the best for overclocking on a reference board. I'm intending to put a new card in my loop so I want a fe.

I want the FE 3080 because it looks like a piece of powerful but subtle engineering, while every other partner board looks like it was designed by a hyperactive 14-year-old.

Eventually I’ll watercool it anyway, but I’m prepared to give nVidia’s new cooling solution a chance first.

I only got my 2070 Super in January and my 1440p monitor in July but seeing such a (relatively speaking) competitively priced NV card has got me feeling the tech itch. I won't bite though because really I think it should be paired with an 8-core CPU for some longevity. Perhaps I'll look once the next Ryzen CPUs are out.