NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Given how open I was becoming to getting a Big Navi 21 - the timing of this is suspect. I am sure that Jensen went around to Jeff Bezzy and demanded this order be progressed where it cannot now be cancelled. 

I'm sure the delivery estimate will update once it is dispatched but lets see - the dream of Cyberpunk may be real.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Screenshot_20201027_122455.thumb.jpg.ba9c047469a79a3ce13b1ee17dc3aa1a.jpg

1555945101_1504304064_giphy.gif.92f30e6321751693b39b5057b68d10aa.gif

Hurrah!

In terms of a possible 3080 Ti, I am gobsmacked that they'd try and slide something inbetween the 80 and the 90. Guess it'll be coming in at £1000-1200, or double that in the new year, obviously.

edit - I wonder if this'll take the load off the other cards now, though. Personally I'll just wait for the Ti at this point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-review

The RTX 3070 is undoubtedly a terrific graphics card. It delivers performance in line with the RTX 2080 Ti at a very reasonable asking price of $500, lowering the cost of entry to high frame-rate 1440p and stable 4K gaming substantially. Moreover, the Founders Edition card we tested is cool, quiet and equipped with future-looking features, including a single HDMI 2.1 port that matches perfectly to next-gen 4K 120Hz HDR displays.

With that said, there is an asterisk on those results, with the Founders Edition 2080 Ti we tested with marginally beating the 3070 in some games thanks to the older card's out-of-the-box overclock. Regardless, the 3070 FE's significantly improved power efficiency, HDMI 2.1 port, upgraded RT performance and better-performing cooler make it a better choice than the RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition even with that performance differential in mind - in a hypothetical situation where you could find both cards for the same price.

Perhaps more relevant is the comparison with the RTX 3080. Normally we expect to find diminishing returns from higher-tier graphics cards - you might pay 30 per cent more for one hypothetical video card over another, but only get 20 per cent better performance. That's not really the case with the RTX 3070 and 3080, where - at least in some games - you're getting more or less 40 per cent better performance by spending 40 per cent more, so in some sense they're equally good value for 4K gaming. If you're gaming at a lower resolution like 1080p or 1440p, then the margin between the two cards narrows as you're becoming partially constrained by your processor - something we experienced even using the Core i9 10900K, which at present is the fastest gaming CPU on the market. So in some sense the RTX 3080 is the best value high performance card for 4K, and the RTX 3070 is the better value choice for 1440p gaming - especially as its 8GB of VRAM is less likely to be an issue at this resolution.

Despite the delayed launch, it's safe to assume that RTX 3070 units will be hard to find for the immediate future. With that in mind, it would be no bad thing to wait until AMD's competing Big Navi cards have also hit the market before deciding which graphics card you'll pick up. Team Red is talking a big game with their upcoming cards and has proven in the past that they'll compete on price if they can't do so on pure performance.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is it, though? Or are we all waiting for another post to say it's been cancelled due to lack of stock. 

Why would you utter such words!? 

Nah - Amazon don't go to preparing for dispatch stage until they are actually preparing for dispatch. I'm pretty confident something is shipping - whether it is a 3080 or a box of rocks lets see. 

To let people know how absurd this order is. It is Amazon Global via Amazon DE only to Germany. That means the GPU after being manufactured was shipped to EVGA US who shipped it to Amazon US who are shipping it to Germany where my friend hopefully won't betray me and send it on to the UK.

The journey map of the GPU

njgvc1cx4fvw1qzg_1592822515.jpeg?tr=w-81

Ah, the 3080 is old news now.

I’m gonna be hunting down the Ryzen 5950x...

Although I fear it’ll be Moby Dick to my Ishmael.

I’ve effectively lost the need to game on my PC at the moment, and just now buy new bits and pieces for the sheer fun of it.

I’ll keep these bits in a box until I have everything I need, by which time it’ll all be obsolete and I’ll bury them in the garden and start the process again.

Goodbye gaming, I’ll not miss ya’. I’m on to bigger and better things.

Mostly insanity.

19 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Guys, guys! The ‘Out of stock’ button on the Nvidia site has changed to ‘Coming soon’! Exciting times!

That's not the cards, that'll be referencing the new 'Out of Stock' button that they are rolling out for the 3070 release...

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

So are we going to be able to buy the 3070 FE from Nvidia in the UK? I thought they'd given up on us!

I just want anything to replace my 970

How would you like to replace it with a crisp tenner?

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Ah, the 3080 is old news now.

I’m gonna be hunting down the Ryzen 5950x...

I'm hoping to grab a 5800x as I'll only be gaming so can't see myself needing all those cores for a few years yet. 

One thing I have discovered through stockpiling bits is that ram sticks are much, much larger than I remember them being and M.2 drives are much, much smaller than I had imagined them to be.

So for 4k gaming which I'd be doing. The 3080 appears to be anything from 20 to 40% faster than the 3070, depending on the game of course. 

Unlike previous gens, or the ridiculous 3090 pricing, I think that delta justifies the price increase to a 3080! 

30 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yeah, I'm not going down the road of spending ridiculous money on super high speed ram just for a few frames at 4k.

Sticking with 3600mhz for now I think. Especially as I have 64gb of the stuff :P 

I don't think I really need the power of any of Nvidia's already announced cards, not for a couple of years anyway. So I feel I'm best off waiting for AMD's announcement, and whatever Nvidia counter with, then taking a view. However given the supply issues, I feel this seriously risks me not having a new PC setup before Christmas! Was going to take a week or two off, even though I probably can't go anywhere. Might end up in the situation where I'm asking work if I can have the hours back.