The 80/90s TV thread

Just clicking through the channels and saw an actress that I recognised from a old tv show....the thing is I hated it, haven’t seen it since it first aired but recalled almost instantly its name...

No doubt! So in order to get in there before the A-Team & Airwolf gets posted, here’s some synth bangers!

Miami Vice by Jan Hammer

Miami Vice - Crockets Theme

Street Hawk theme by Tangerine Dream

I always thought I loved the Street Hawk theme, but not as much as this dude;

i had an interesting first thought when I read the thread title, nothing cool, or edgy, so no claiming my first thought was for This Life, Tour of Duty, the late night cooking show Get Stuffed with the mystery chefs.

No my first thought was 

F14F9501-062C-7CAB-8D02AA9804F73FAE.jpg

11 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

No doubt! So in order to get in there before the A-Team & Airwolf gets posted, here’s some synth bangers!

Miami Vice by Jan Hammer

Miami Vice - Crockets Theme

The Freeview channel ForcesTV started showing Miami Vice at the start of lockdown (V, The Equalizer and Buck Rogers are also shown on it, if you're interested) but stopped after the second series. So I bought the complete collection on DVD. 5 Series. 23 episodes or so each series. 50 minutes or so an episode. So it's not something you easily rinse like modern TV!

There's a few things that really stand out about it. The first two series are really excellent, brilliant use of pop music and the look is absolutely spot on. You can tell Michael  Mann (who was the executive producer) was behind it, many of the episodes feel like Heat, particularly the two part Pilot "Brother's Keeper". People might think of Miami Vice as being  about white sports jackets rolled up at the sleeves and Ferraris, but there's a lot of depth to the characters.

Someone made a trailer for the pilot which I think shows how close it is to a Michael Mann film (certainly better than the "remake" he did with Colin Farrell as Crocket.. errr). It really is a brilliant pilot and definitely worth a watch if you get the chance.

The famous "In the Air Tonight" scene from the Pilot kind of sums up the style and groundbreaking approach it was taking to television - almost no dialog for 4 minutes! Just take in the scenery....

The first five or so episodes of the first series also doesn't have the "classic" Miami Vice theme - Jan Hammer hadn't added the guitar to it, so it's strange watching the intro to the Pilot (which really sums up the overall concept behind Miami Vice, Miami had become this den of dubiously sourced extreme wealth) but it still sounds amazing.

The first two series of Miami Vice are definitely some of the best TV you can watch, they still stand up today. The third series takes a darker turn (not just in story, but literally they drop the pastel shades of the first two series with more greys and blacks!), the fourth series is really inconsistent, some dark episodes, some really bizarre almost comedic episodes like involving James Brown as an alien hallucination or Crockett getting married to Sheena Easton who is then barely mentioned until she's killed off later in the series). Just about to start the fifth and final series. But if you see it come up on ForcesTV, it's going to be the first two series and definitely worth watching.