The Haunting of Bly Manor

58 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Only just started episode 1. Please tell me Flora isnt in it all the way through. Whoever wrote her lines should never work again.

I'm guessing so. 

I have gave up after 3 1/2episodes. 

It's just too badly written and fucking irritating to enjoy.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Only just started episode 1. Please tell me Flora isnt in it all the way through. Whoever wrote her lines should never work again.

She's obviously in it all the way through. She does get less annoying though. Then more annoying.

One episode to go. It's lost a lot of the momentum it picked up in the middle. That need to explain every backstory at such length drags it down - I feel like that last episode could've been folded into the story in just a few scenes.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

One episode to go. It's lost a lot of the momentum it picked up in the middle. That need to explain every backstory at such length drags it down - I feel like that last episode could've been folded into the story in just a few scenes.

This was my feelings exactly. The whole of episode 8 could've been cut down to ten minutes max. Up until then I'd been enjoying it but the last two or three episodes played out so slowly I lost all interest.

So based on what I heard in epsiode 8 I'm taking a punt that

Spoiler

The narrator of this whole thing is older Jamie right? There were moments when she was narrating that old tale for epsiode 8 that sounded like how Jamie speaks.

23 hours ago, Stigweard said:

A while fucking black and white flash back episode on the random ghost we've seen a few times. That could have easily been condensed down to 15 minutes. <_<

A few lines of qualifying dialogue at most, in my opinion. It

wasnt even particularly indulgent, just unnecessary and misguided. 

As I said in my post in the Haunting of Hill House topic (when I didn’t know there was a separate thread), I felt this was a real mixed bag. Some moments of greatness, some of questionable merit; not as scary as the first series but it did keep me on my toes throughout. 

Left me wanting more though. Planning a rewatch of Hill House on Halloween weekend. 

Finished it now. I actually quite like the idea behind it in the end, and there's nothing wrong with trying something a bit different to last time. It was just too slow and stretched out.

In the final episode

Spoiler

the crucial line is that it's mis-sold as a ghosty story when it's actually a love story. I think that's the point with the series itself - we come in with certain expectations for a scary ride based on the previous series and our preconceptions about ghost stories, but it takes a different turn and shows that haunting can be more about tragedy than fear. It's a sequence of tragic love stories. It just wasn't put together in the most interesting way.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Finished it now. I actually quite like the idea behind it in the end, and there's nothing wrong with trying something a bit different to last time. It was just too slow and stretched out.

In the final episode

Reveal hidden contents

the crucial line is that it's mis-sold as a ghosty story when it's actually a love story. I think that's the point with the series itself - we come in with certain expectations for a scary ride based on the previous series and our preconceptions about ghost stories, but it takes a different turn and shows that haunting can be more about tragedy than fear. It's a sequence of tragic love stories. It just wasn't put together in the most interesting way.

Spoiler

While that's true, if I wanted a love story I'd have watched something with High Grant. I thought this worked well as a slow burn horror and became boring as fuck when it turned into a romance.

I enjoyed it. Even the Mary Poppins children. 

Spoiler

One of the scariest bits for me was the first or second episode when the au pair had a conversation with the girl while the half the shot lingered on an open door into the corridor. Such suspense. I'm glad they didn't repeat the figures in the background gimmick of Hill House but that didn't stop me looking.

It got more eerie than scary after that, but I think it wrapped things up well.

One thing that bothered me was how come the childrens' parents never noticed the muddy footprints of the ghost. Seemed like she was coming every day and they couldn't blame it on the children before they were born. Wasn't a big issue, though.

The most horrifying things in the series, though, were the disregard for its setting. First when pupils of an English boarding school bolt out the classroom when the bell rings like it's California High. Second when more than one British character says they did the 'math'. Chills down the spine.

This one creaked a little at the edges, but I adore Mike Flanagan and I forgave some issues in order to enjoy it fully. I didn’t find it out of step with lots of his other work even though it was very different to Hill House. The dense plotting and metaphors were the focus this time around and it worked emotionally and intellectually for me even though the visceral scares and inventive imagery were not so prominent. Probably as Flanagan only directed one episode. 

2 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Hide contents

One of the scariest bits for me was the first or second episode when the au pair had a conversation with the girl while the half the shot lingered on an open door into the corridor. Such suspense. I'm glad they didn't repeat the figures in the background gimmick of Hill House but that didn't stop me looking.

There were loads!

11 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Reveal hidden contents

It got more eerie than scary after that, but I think it wrapped things up well.

One thing that bothered me was how come the childrens' parents never noticed the muddy footprints of the ghost. Seemed like she was coming every day and they couldn't blame it on the children before they were born. Wasn't a big issue, though.

The most horrifying things in the series, though, were the disregard for its setting. First when pupils of an English boarding school bolt out the classroom when the bell rings like it's California High. Second when more than one British character says they did the 'math'. Chills down the spine.

At one point a character replies with "no worries!", which I really don't remember British people saying around 1987- despite Wikipedia claiming otherwise, with Neighbours as an influence!

8 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

At one point a character replies with "no worries!", which I really don't remember British people saying around 1987- despite Wikipedia claiming otherwise, with Neighbours as an influence!

As much as it annoyed me, I did think of a decent explanation for all that. 

Spoiler

It's being narrated by an ex-pat Englishwoman to a group of US citizens. She obviously adapted the story to appeal to them.

Either that or the real twist is that it all took place in the au pair's mind.

Both clearly not true, but I can live with them.

I got bored of this series too. Half-way through I started looking up the actors past careers and found it was a weird mix of Hollywood movies (like ET and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) and UK telly, like Eastenders and Casualty. Oh, and Flora was actually the voice of Peppa Pig. After that revelation, I just kept imagining Peppa Pig delivering the lines.

I loved this. It wasn't as addictive as Hill House, but worked great spread out over the week. Figuring things out as the show went along was great fun, and the whole thing looked great too.

Not greatly impressed at all, much as I want to like it wholeheartedly. I think what was filmed could’ve been improved with some careful ADR and editing it down to eight episodes, however.

I agree that the actress playing Dani is woeful, and that some of the dialogue is so ‘off’ for the time setting that I almost expected characters to start referencing internet memes and the Trump presidency.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I suppose the only explanation for that is

Hide contents

Jamie changed a lot of the details in her story, including what the people looked like. It's the fictional versions vs the reality.

Imagine someone telling you a story like she did in real life, jumping all over with timeliness, going off on an huge tangent about something else. You'd have lost interest much quicker than I did with this.

29 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Imagine someone telling you a story like she did in real life, jumping all over with timeliness, going off on an huge tangent about something else. You'd have lost interest much quicker than I did with this.

She woke

She walked

She slept

She woke

She walked

She slept

She woke

She walked

YES ALRIGHT WE GET IT WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT