Tunic

Unofficial Who

You're basically at the stage I was at @therearerules and I had exactly the same thoughts. It does require quite a bit of time investment to get to the best stuff and I doubt your opinions will change much during that time. The problem is whether you will get the same reward that some of us have - looking back, for me it was worth it. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be for you. I think the advice is sound, whack on the assists if the combat's getting in the way and beeline through the mid-part if you want to get to the best part of the game. Where are you at, out of interest?

Edit- never mind, you just did the Knight. Early days yet, have no fear. 

Just completed it, good ending, all fairies and 8 treasures. Whacking the difficulty down was so the correct thing to do I'm amazed it's got the difficulty level it has. I didn't turn on infinite health or stamina, as all rewards were health or stamina, and I wanted some gameplay as I went through. Really enjoyed the other areas and especially the quarry (infinite health would have removed the puzzle here). Not a fan of the ziggurat though, bit tedious that.

Some of the shortcuts made me laugh. Not sure if that's worth not being able to rotate the camera though. I like the idea of a shortcut always being there and just your knowledge unlocking it, but I swear I was traipsing around the overworked for an hour because I missed a critical path hidden behind an isometric viewpoint.

Puzzles were great. Easier (so far, probably going to 100% it so I'll see if they get tougher) than similar games thanks to the manual literally telling you a lot of solutions. But I think that's fine - not every game needs to be brutal and the hints are subtly ingrained in the whole 'used manual' conceit, which is an absolute joy. One puzzle in particular made me applaud the developers.

Things I didn't enjoy - the slow traipsing around the map. If I'm in the west garden and get an idea about a puzzle elsewhere it takes 5 minutes to actually get there. And the part where all your upgrades are removed and you fight enemy waves. I understand that part was the climax of the traditional section, but it still absolutely sucked. The only part I enabled infinite health to get past.

Items should have been more accessible, or pausing when the menu is open. I've ended the game with full inventories, but they're impossible to use in tough battles unless they're one of your three slots, then you run out of them and that's that.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it post garden knight, and one of the puzzles in particular is a stand out.

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing this and was really enjoying it, the exploration, finding things out from the manual and even getting a hang of the combat until I hit a huge difficulty spike. So I'm very glad I read through this thread to see I'm not the only one. I'll go into a bit more detail in the spoiler below, but I'm going to give it another few attempts and then whack on one of the assists. 

Spoiler

I'd got as far as the Garden Shrine boss in the west garden and he just battered me. I've levelled up so I've got level three in most skills (all but SP I think) but I've only got the boss below half health once. I found the ice bombs were helpful but used them all up in one attempt and I have no idea how to get more of them.

I did some backtracking today to see if I'd missed anything, I didn't find much except an hourglass that I don't know what it does yet. Going to give it another bash tonight but I won't feel so bad dropping down the difficulty having seen how many others struggled at this point in the game.

Yeah it would have been good as well if they'd had an item quick wheel or something for those kind of items. As it is you assign one to a button slot and end up accidentally using it when you don't need it, or because you only have one or two you use them early in the fight and then have a useless free slot. I only used them a few times in my playthrough, mostly bombs for some bosses and the health refill one.

Been playing this the last few days and really enjoying it. The combination of the Zelda-esque gameplay with the mysterious setting a la Fez or The Witness is right up my alley. I haven't started trying to decipher the language yet, but I'm hoping it will be a fun challenge and will add to the game. 

I've got fairly far into it I think (sorry, I naffed up the spoiler tags, but big spoilers for if you haven't got to the cathedral yet)

Spoiler
Spoiler

I've got to the cathedral 

Spoiler

I LOL'd after finding the three macguffins and releasing the fox lady, only for her to kill me in the big sword room and turn me into a ghost. I've just been going along with it, ringing the bells and finding the keys to release her, because that's what you do in videogames, but I'm betting if you decipher the language in the manual it's all like "holy Christ, whatever you do, do NOT release the fox lady who is the ultimate avatar of evil or something"

25 minutes ago, dug said:

Been playing this the last few days and really enjoying it. The combination of the Zelda-esque gameplay with the mysterious setting a la Fez or The Witness is right up my alley. I haven't started trying to decipher the language yet, but I'm hoping it will be a fun challenge and will add to the game. 

I've got fairly far into it I think (sorry, I naffed up the spoiler tags, but big spoilers for if you haven't got to the cathedral yet)

Hide contents
  Hide contents

I've got to the cathedral 

Hide contents

I LOL'd after finding the three macguffins and releasing the fox lady, only for her to kill me in the big sword room and turn me into a ghost. I've just been going along with it, ringing the bells and finding the keys to release her, because that's what you do in videogames, but I'm betting if you decipher the language in the manual it's all like "holy Christ, whatever you do, do NOT release the fox lady who is the ultimate avatar of evil or something"

You'll find a certain manual page which will be quite revealing...

28 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You'll find a certain manual page which will be quite revealing...

Speaking of the manual, it's great. Really good idea, really well done. I love the way you can't understand the language, but can still infer valuable help from it, particularly when you glean things which were always available but you just didn't know.

Spoiler

Like the way you level up your stats. I'd found several of the stat up items but didn't know how to use them until I found the relevant manual page. But if I'd known, I could have already used them. Love that kind of thing.

Also! I love that some of the shortcuts were not things that you unlock, but were always there, only you didn't know because of the camera angle. Just great design.

I think I'm at the end of the game, so I have a question:

Spoiler

I got killed by the heir and turned into a ghost, and I've found all of the hero's graves and restored my body. Is the heir the final boss? I.e. do I have to solve the rest of the puzzles and decipher the language and figure out how to open the door in the northern mountain before killing The Heir? Or can I kill her and carry on with the game afterwards?

8 minutes ago, dug said:

Hide contents

I got killed by the heir and turned into a ghost, and I've found all of the hero's graves and restored my body. Is the heir the final boss? I.e. do I have to solve the rest of the puzzles and decipher the language and figure out how to open the door in the northern mountain before killing The Heir? Or can I kill her and carry on with the game afterwards?

You don't have to decipher the language but you do need to find a way to 

Spoiler

open the door if you don't want 

Spoiler

to fight her.

1 hour ago, dug said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

If you beat the game by fighting her it gives you an option after the credits to go back to before the fight to find all the secrets

Finshed this just before New Year, I ended up going with lower difficulty and no stamina loss for a lot of the game which made it feel fairer as I was only just beating bosses. Then I got to a later section and just whacked it on full no-fail as it just didn't seem fun to struggle through. I'm really glad I did that as solving the puzzles at the end point of the game was brilliant, even if some of the harder ones I would never have solved without a guide. Looking at the achievement percentages it looks like a lot of people have dropped out of the game after the opening sections which is a shame but also testiment to how hard the combat gets. I wonder how many people don't realise that there are the accessibility options, especially if the easier combat mode being in a different menu to the accessability options.

More detailed thoughts and spoilers:

Spoiler

The second half of the Quarry was where I gave up on the combat, as the enemies who reduce your health bar when they hit you was a step to far. Avoiding areas of the map, until you get the mask, was much more manageable and about learning the route but I could see how long it was going to take me to slog through the fighting part and I just noped out. As I said above, I'm glad I did as I think it would have worn me down fairly quickly by the end of the Quarry, let alone the later spirit sections where you have no upgrades and health being removed.

The increased combat difficulty seems an even odder decision when the puzzles are so good and almost locked away until you get through the full game once. The Golden Path puzzle in particular was just brilliantly exectuted, but there were lots of a-ha moments for me in getting the fairies completed. The moment when I twigged the puzzle in the snowy section of the Quarry being a particular personal highlight. I also loved that their was a code for finding where the secrets were to take away the frustration of blindly seeking them out. Some of the treasures I don't think I would ever have solved on my own, especially as some of them you need to work out the language for which was always going to be a step beyond me. Even after looking up a little bit on how the language is structered, I still don't really understand it.  I did laugh when I got the achievement with the text 'Understood the margin on page 17' when I hadn't got a clue what it had said.

Overall though it does deserve all the praise it has been given and I hope more people stick with it to see everything it has to offer.

Finished this today. By 'finished' I mean I've seen the credits.

Spoiler

Both endings. Like @keptbybees I turned on no fail for the last couple of bosses, because the combat is not where the fun lies for me in this game.

The golden path puzzle was brilliant. The moment when you realise what it means and it all falls into place in your brain is like a celestial sunbeam striking your head and a heavenly choir going "ahhhhhhhh". 

I still have some fairies to find and most of the secret treasures, so it'll keep me going for a few hours yet.

I must admit I looked up the language. I stared at the relevant page in the manual for long enough to realise 

Spoiler

That there were two sets of symbols, which I reasoned might represent vowels and consonants, although the number of each seemed to indicate they represented actual sounds or phonemes in English, rather than letters of the alphabet.

Then each 'letter' was a combination of one of the consonant and one of the vowel symbols, with each word being indicated by the horizontal line through the middle.

So then I tried to figure out if there was any relationship between the shapes of the symbols and the shapes of any English letters, which might give a clue where to start. But I couldn't see any, which suggested my only recourse would be lots of tedious trial and error. Which I couldn't be bothered with, so I just looked it up.

Now that I have, I can see that there is some logic to the consonant symbols, in that voiced and unvoiced versions of the same consonant sound are represented by the same symbol flipped about the horizontal axis.

Can't see any rhyme or reason in the vowel symbols though, they just look arbitrary to me.

So ultimately I don't feel like I missed out too much by looking it up. I managed to figure out the logic of how the language works, even if I didn't figure out the specific meaning of any of the individual symbols.

Great stuff, I'll be looking out for future games by the devs.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the presentation/performance of the Switch version? I’m playing it on Xbox which is lovely looking, but I fancy the Switch version as well. I don’t mind 30fps provided it’s pretty stable and the visuals hold up. 

Was the ‘reduced’ difficulty setting something patched in later, after the game came out? 

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Can anyone comment on the presentation/performance of the Switch version? I’m playing it on Xbox which is lovely looking, but I fancy the Switch version as well. I don’t mind 30fps provided it’s pretty stable and the visuals hold up. 

Was the ‘reduced’ difficulty setting something patched in later, after the game came out? 

I played it entirely on the Switch and loved it. Sure I’d be stunned by the PS/XB versions but i wanted to play it on Switch. 

Anyway I thought you were getting a Steam Deck, it may perform better on there….

1 hour ago, geldra said:

I played it entirely on the Switch and loved it. Sure I’d be stunned by the PS/XB versions but i wanted to play it on Switch. 

Anyway I thought you were getting a Steam Deck, it may perform better on there….

Still in two minds (it takes me ages making these decisions :lol:) but also just fancy playing it today on the couch without using the TV. I guess it’s 60fps on Deck? 

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Still in two minds (it takes me ages making these decisions :lol:) but also just fancy playing it today on the couch without using the TV. I guess it’s 60fps on Deck? 

No idea. Ignorance is bliss. :)

Like Paulando says it’s not exactly a fast paced game so I really don’t think I missed out on much (except shinies) by playing the Switch ver.  I had zero regrets. 

It’s a great game whichever platform you’re on. 

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

60 on the deck with high settings (resolution, lighting etc). It’s not crysis but it is more demanding than you’d think for the type of game it looks like on first pass.

Only just started playing this last night.

I've been putting it of for so long due to the dark souls comparisons and i think that just scared me of a bit.

I have died ALOT in my 4 hour playtime so far. But it's never usually too much of an issue to get back to where you were, the graphics are really nice and that music - great stuff. Very chill and enjoyable to listen to.

The puzzles haven't been too bad so far, but i am still relatively early on in the game. 

Well worth a play from what i have experienced so far.

So i've beaten 3 bosses so far. The second one was a bit of pain, took far too long!

However, i do find sometimes that patterns for the bosses seem to change up a bit? I certainly found with the third boss i came across 

Spoiler

The Siege Engine

That i could sometimes get in for an attack at the start of the fight which takes off half his health meter. Other times i could barely take a few hits. 

Maybe it was just me being a bit better at the fight, but i almost took him down without using a potion - the fight seems considerably easier than previous attempts (although i was being more confident). Was pretty happy after that at beating him.

Just wondered if anyone found any inconsistancies with the bosse fights?

Otherwise still enjoying the game a lot, surprisingly fun to go off the beaten path and find hidden areas with treasure.

On 23/01/2023 at 14:49, DarhkFox said:

So i've beaten 3 bosses so far. The second one was a bit of pain, took far too long!

However, i do find sometimes that patterns for the bosses seem to change up a bit? I certainly found with the third boss i came across 

Reveal hidden contents

The Siege Engine

That i could sometimes get in for an attack at the start of the fight which takes off half his health meter. Other times i could barely take a few hits. 

Maybe it was just me being a bit better at the fight, but i almost took him down without using a potion - the fight seems considerably easier than previous attempts (although i was being more confident). Was pretty happy after that at beating him.

Just wondered if anyone found any inconsistancies with the bosse fights?

Otherwise still enjoying the game a lot, surprisingly fun to go off the beaten path and find hidden areas with treasure.

Yeah - the combat is inconsistent. Turn on invincible mode and focus on exploring and solving the puzzles instead; it's the much better part of the game!

13 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah - the combat is inconsistent. Turn on invincible mode and focus on exploring and solving the puzzles instead; it's the much better part of the game!

I guess so , but I've got this far so I'm sticking with it. I'm at a fight with some mace windu lookalike. 

31 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

I guess so , but I've got this far so I'm sticking with it. I'm at a fight with some mace windu lookalike. 

I lasted without it until I came to a boss fight where you have to go up against

Spoiler

waves of enemies without any checkpoints or health,

and that was enough for me. I hadn't minded it too much up until that point, and I could probably have grinded through it, but I couldn't be arsed in the end. Ironically, from that point the game becomes a lot more focused on exploration and puzzle solving, anyway.

I spent like 2 hours on Hidden Vault Boss, closest i got to was just under the last quarter of health.

Randomly seeing what the cards did 

Spoiler

i came across one that turns your health potions into magic potions)

after that, all it took was about 10 shots of the shotgun to kill him! I barely lost any health 😤

So i'm at the 

Spoiler

Heir boss fight. I nearly defeated her, but i'll back to it another day.

My question is, there is the golden path as well, is that something that needs to be done to get the holy cross? Is this optional (maybe for an alternative ending?)

1 hour ago, DarhkFox said:

So i'm at the 

Hide contents

Heir boss fight. I nearly defeated her, but i'll back to it another day.

My question is, there is the golden path as well, is that something that needs to be done to get the holy cross? Is this optional (maybe for an alternative ending?)

Have you done the graveyard?

23 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Have you done the graveyard?

Yeah, i've done all that.  Someone mentioned waves of enemies without a checkpoint? I'm pressuming that was the 

Spoiler

catherdral? I didn't really think that was that bad, certainly not enough to turn no fail mode on)