Chadwick Boseman has passed away

Just seen this and it’s terrible, horrible news.

I was listening to an old interview with him on a podcast this week and watched Civil War with the kids on Wednesday.

Peak 2020 - The most high profile black actor this decade who portrayed an iconic black superhero tragically dies in this year of BLM.

42 is really good if you like your sports bio-pics.

I was gutted to read the news of his death today and as others have said, 43 is no age. It's awful for his family and friends and a shame that we won't see more of what he was capable of.

I only know his work from movies and the occasional TV appearance/interview but he seemed sincere, grounded in reality and not just in it for the fame and fortune, the fact that his illness was kept out of the headlines helps to show that.

Seeing the photos & videos people have been posting of him visiting ill kids in hospital or meeting fans who've been inspired by Black Panther whilst silently battling cancer himself only helps to hit home the fact that the world has lost one of the good ones.

I hate this world sometimes, cancer is the cruelest disease.

RIP

53 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Is Black Panther worth a watch?

I really really really dislike the marvel stuff, but will give it a go if it's recommended.

There are a lot of good things. It absolutely is a Marvel superhero film so you won’t enjoy it, but I think it’s worth watching. 

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It's okay, but it's a very mid-tier Marvel movie and if you're not a fan of the universe to begin with it's probably not going to be the film that converts you.

I disagree; in my experience there are many people who put Black Panther at or near the top of their MCU rankings - including some who hadn't been won over by previous MCU films.

Reasons people found it remarkable compared to the others: it addressed colonialism and isolationism more thoroughly than the MCU ever previously grappled with any political issue (Thor Ragnarok touched on that subject but Black Panther did it more extensively), it gave its villain the most persuasive cause/motivation of any MCU film, the worldbuilding of its Afrofuturistic setting is extremely well thought out, and it has a distinctive directorial mark (in contrast to the criticisms of the MCU as looking "formulaic and designed by committee").

Not saying it's perfect - just that it's possible that @Simmy might like it, despite disliking previous Marvel films.

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

I disagree; in my experience there are many people who put Black Panther at or near the top of their MCU rankings - including some who hadn't been won over by previous MCU films.

Reasons people found it remarkable compared to the others: it addressed colonialism and isolationism more thoroughly than the MCU ever previously grappled with any political issue (Thor Ragnarok touched on that subject but Black Panther did it more extensively), it gave its villain the most persuasive cause/motivation of any MCU film, the worldbuilding of its Afrofuturistic setting is extremely well thought out, and it has a distinctive directorial mark (in contrast to the criticisms of the MCU as looking "formulaic and designed by committee").

Not saying it's perfect - just that it's possible that @Simmy might like it, despite disliking previous Marvel films.

Someone pointed me towards this comment on Reddit which explains why it's been seen as so important for reasons a lot of us here might miss or not understand. https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/iikerl/chadwick_boseman_43_dies_after_4year_fight_with/g37ds0k/?context=3

Both of us cried throughout the movie because we felt seen. Even if this was just a superhero film, it meant so much to us that we were just VISIBLE, and that racial trauma could be so aptly represented in such a blockbuster where the trauma wasn’t the sole point of the film. Black Panther was one of the few films that let Black people’s experiences not be defined by our oppression. I can’t thank Chadwick enough for being the glue that held the film together. RIP.

Ryan Coogler released a statement about working with him. He really put the work in and knew what he was doing. He seemed to know how important it would be when others, even Coogler, didn't realise.

And that bit about John Kani and him deciding to do scenes in Xhosa on the spot and him learning the lines in a language he didn't know (it was Kani's native language), with it's clicks and stuff, just like that.

Coogler had no idea about the cancer either.

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Coogler had no idea about the cancer either.

He was writing the screenplay for Black Panther 2 for the past year. While this is small potatoes compared to the loss of Chadwick Boseman, I’m quite surprised that he was happily typing away. Did Marvel not know about the cancer either?

Just because he was writing the screeplay for Black Panther 2, it doesn't mean he didn't know about the cancer (the article doesn't really give it away either way, but that's my only source of information).  I would imagine certain people on the set would have known about his illness.  

I would wager things changed dramatically at some point during covid and it would have been easy enough to keep progression extremely private during that time.

So the current article on the bbc news page (our collective defacto home page) is still a reflection from the Black Panther director. I literally caught myself swiping away “a fly” from my face before I realised I was crying.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Just because he was writing the screeplay for Black Panther 2, it doesn't mean he didn't know about the cancer (the article doesn't really give it away either way, but that's my only source of information).  I would imagine certain people on the set would have known about his illness.  

I would wager things changed dramatically at some point during covid and it would have been easy enough to keep progression extremely private during that time.

https://www.insider.com/chadwick-boseman-black-panther-star-video-reactions-apparent-weight-loss-2020-4

I didn't see it at the time but this video has reemerged after all this...

13 hours ago, sprite said:

‘Chad deeply valued his privacy, and I wasn’t privy to the details of his illness.’ Hmmm, I suppose it doesn’t say for sure. On initial reading, I thought it meant Ryan Coogler flat-out didn’t know anything, but it could be that he knew Chadwick was ill, just not exactly what it was. 

I think you’re probably right about an escalation during Covid.

There’s been a lot of reading into things, and what is money, but with the biggest franchise on the planet I wonder if there was an inner circle and that first “on your left” reveal in Endgame actually was a tragic tribute.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

‘Chad deeply valued his privacy, and I wasn’t privy to the details of his illness.’ Hmmm, I suppose it doesn’t say for sure. On initial reading, I thought it meant Ryan Coogler flat-out didn’t know anything, but it could be that he knew Chadwick was ill, just not exactly what it was. 

I think you’re probably right about an escalation during Covid.

Cancer is something so many people live with, it’s a scale... and it may well be he entered a remission period, given an all clear... he was likely not told “this is terminal” day one being stage III but probably given very dicey odds.

It would only have been hitting stage IV that he knew it wasn’t going to be something he beat. So it kinda depends when that happened.  With how treatments are these days it really could’ve been some years ago though, but given his age, not likely IMO.

All speculation on my part but from a career of oncology.

33 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

There’s been a lot of reading into things, and what is money, but with the biggest franchise on the planet I wonder if there was an inner circle and that first “on your left” reveal in Endgame actually was a tragic tribute.

While I was trying to hold it together at work on Saturday, this was the image that kept creeping in and breaking me down. When that portal opens and he's the first one through it's already a lump-in-the-throat moment for me, but every viewing from now on is going to destroy me.

This has hit me really hard. The MCU has been incredibly important for me for over a decade, way more than just on-screen entertainment. We've actually lost a hero.

53 minutes ago, sprite said:

Cancer is something so many people live with, it’s a scale... and it may well be he entered a remission period, given an all clear... he was likely not told “this is terminal” day one being stage III but probably given very dicey odds.

It would only have been hitting stage IV that he knew it wasn’t going to be something he beat. So it kinda depends when that happened.  With how treatments are these days it really could’ve been some years ago though, but given his age, not likely IMO.

All speculation on my part but from a career of oncology.

Thanks for the insight, sprite. It’s such a tragedy.

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:

The order of the heroes coming through the portals is extremely deliberate. A few months ago the Cinematic Universe podcast did an Endgame livestream, in which Seb Patrick made that point. After Seb died suddenly earlier this month, Amon Warmann shared a clip of that section:

Amon Warmann was a guest on that podcast's Black Panther episode. He wrote the NME's obituary of Chadwick Boseman, which is a great piece of writing:

https://www.nme.com/features/chadwick-boseman-obituary-real-life-superhero-2740722

Watched 42 yesterday and welled up when Chadwick said the line “God built me to last”

Great film about baseball player Jackie Robinson.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Watched 42 yesterday and welled up when Chadwick said the line “God built me to last”

Great film about baseball player Jackie Robinson.

In a twist of fate, he died on Jackie Robinson day too.

• 3 weeks later...