Wasteland 3 - out now and on game pass.

Opencritic 85:

https://opencritic.com/game/9140/wasteland-3

Enjoying this so far, a couple of hours in. I didn't get on particularly well with either 1 or 2, mainly due to the overwhelming complexity but this seems to do a much better job of dealing with that. The grid, turn based combat also sits well with me, feeling very comfortable for anyone familiar with xcom etc.

The world setting is right up my street and the story is fine so far. Biggest plus for me so far is no inventory management as it claims there is no limit on how much can be carried!

Was thinking about starting a thread for this so glad we've got one now. :D

Really loved Wasteland 2 but this one adds a whole layer of polish to it. Faced the usual paralysis when creating my characters but seeing skills like Toaster Repair brings a smile.

Very early on but I'm hoping it's a little smoother than the first 2hrs of Wasteland 2, which was very combat heavy. I also remember you could unintentionally make that game harder than it needed to be by picking skills that sounded great but you never needed early on.

EDIT - this is also free on Gamepass

If there was one thing I could change about this game, I’d like to be able to zoom out a little further than it lets you. Other than that, it’s cool, cheesy and you can level up “sneaky shit”! 

I’m playing on Xbone X and the load times can be quite long. I should really install the PC version, but ACG’s review suggests performance issues on even the highest spec’d PCs.

13 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

If there was one thing I could change about this game, I’d like to be able to zoom out a little further than it lets you. Other than that, it’s cool, cheesy and you can level up “sneaky shit”! 

I’m playing on Xbone X and the load times can be quite long. I should really install the PC version, but ACG’s review suggests performance issues on even the highest spec’d PCs.

Working fine for me on pc on ultra and my rig is middling at best.

12 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Do you need to have played the first two to get on with the story?

Nope, it's a totally new setting.

There's plenty of nods to the first 2 games in the opening hours but you aren't missing anything having not played the first 2. :)

25 minutes ago, Janski said:

Nope, it's a totally new setting.

There's plenty of nods to the first 2 games in the opening hours but you aren't missing anything having not played the first 2. :)

Cool! It's going on the list!

Got to start playing a few days ago,but it's huge and I haven't finished yet.

Fantastic game. A few bugs, and those without an SSD (like me) will find that the loading times are abominable, but there's a lot of great stuff here.

Well, I can throw piss snowballs at people or shoot them with a rocket launcher that shoots frozen ferrets and have a cyborg chicken following me around.

Love it.

On 29/08/2020 at 22:53, Danster said:

Anybody know how the co-op works in this? Is it drop in and out? 

It's pretty similar to Divinity Original Sin 2, you create a multiplayer game, one person hosts, the other joins.  The multiplayer is a seperate save file from your single player, and then each time you play, the same player hosts the game and the other joins.  You can continue playing without the other player present, but i'm sure I read that there are certain story beats - few and far between - that won't allow you to progress without all players actually present.

Playing single player on the ps4 - I've had a pretty smooth time of it. :)

Playing multi player - we're getting disconnects, system crashes, a ton of bugs, I can't listen in to the conversations, just feels a lot more buggy for some reason.  But, in my opinion, it is worth persevering as it's a great game! 

Well I think I've got a bug with my 2 non party companions leaving as soon as I do any random encounter. They even think disarming turrets is an act of violence against civilians.

Unless its not a bug in which case its ridiculous. Was enjoying it too!

Loving this but it is unfortunately janky as hell. Getting persistent crashes on an original xbox one which is really frustrating especially given it seems to happen when  you've been in the inventory menus.

Devs have acknowledged it as an issue with a patch coming this week but it has soured it slightly. 

9 minutes ago, Janski said:

Loving this but it is unfortunately janky as hell. Getting persistent crashes on an original xbox one which is really frustrating especially given it seems to happen when  you've been in the inventory menus.

Devs have acknowledged it as an issue with a patch coming this week but it has soured it slightly. 

Unfortunately, I feel the same way about the game on PC, as well. The amount of frame drops, stutters and audio breaks on every single attack animation during combat has been absurd even after messing around with recommended fixes, and every single time I've booted into the game I've had to fanjangle with keyboard and mouse to get the controller enabled.

I feel bad for anyone who bought this for fifty fucking quid on Steam, if it's anywhere near as niggling as the Gamepass version. The game itself is excellent, however.

9 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Do I need to play 1&2 before trying 3?

Not especially, imo. :) There are of course nods, but prior knowledge isn't a pre-requisite,

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Sounds like it's probably best to wait for a couple of patches before getting stuck into this then?

Could be a good shout. :)  There is a 12GB update for it downloading now on PS4, hopefully it will fix some of the issues!

5 hours ago, Siri said:

Unfortunately, I feel the same way about the game on PC, as well. The amount of frame drops, stutters and audio breaks on every single attack animation during combat has been absurd even after messing around with recommended fixes, and every single time I've booted into the game I've had to fanjangle with keyboard and mouse to get the controller enabled.

I feel bad for anyone who bought this for fifty fucking quid on Steam, if it's anywhere near as niggling as the Gamepass version. The game itself is excellent, however.

I’m playing on ps pro and it feels janky. Just navigating the world feels like you’re scrolling about at sub 30 frames. I’m enjoying it but it does make me wish it was a little more polished in the performance department. 

20 hours ago, Siri said:

Yeah, on gamepass every time I load it up it says its set to controller in the options but the controller won't work until I've set to keyboard & mouse then back to controller..... twice.

I was hoping the MS money train would have made stuff much easier for the devs but it's the same as Wasteland 2 was at launch it seems. 

Something about the Unity engine and memory leaks makes it really unstable.

Inxile remind me a lot of Troika, who were another development studio with great ideas but constant tech problems. I would say they need to bite the bullet and make their own engine, as Unity is plainly not up to this, if I were confident that were even achievable!

Despite Wasteland 3 looking decidedly long in the tooth, I’ve been having fun with it on PS4. Mostly niggling interface issues and loading times thus far over bugs, but I have no illusions that I’ve probably been lucky. The writing is top notch, especially when you come to it after the latest Fallout game and see Inxile nailing the mood of irreverence and brutality that Bethesda seem to have such problems with now. Combat has mostly been balanced out well with dialogue, but there are parts where it feels like the game goes a bit too Icewind Dale on you with endless fights - such as the boring later parts of quests like ‘Unwelcome Guests.’ I like how ammo seems fairly rare and expensive, on the higher difficulties anyway, so being able to talk your way out of a fight can be very useful sometimes. 

So yes, good so far, but on the technical side...if this is the result of an Inxile game with MS backing then I’m a little concerned. Saying that, Undead Labs were bought by MS and State of Decay 2 was still shonky as shit, so what does being owned by them actually mean in practical terms? 

I'm really enjoying the story after a couple of hours, but there's something about the UI that just makes his inherently exhausting to play - everything just feels heavy to get done. I'm also mystified that the game checks that you really want to spend your character points with a pop-up, across three menus, for every character, every single time but doesn't double check that you really wanted to shoot your buddy in the face because you didn't remember to deselect attack mode before clicking the portrait of another character you wanted to use.