PS+ September - PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Street Fighter V

Chicken dinners and shoryukens are on the PS Plus menu this September. Take on 99 other competitors in PUBG: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds or challenge the world’s greatest warriors to a scrap in beat ‘em up Street Fighter V.

Let’s take a closer look at both titles.

PUBG: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds* 

Parachute into a treacherous battleground with only your wits for protection, as you loot gear and outsmart your enemies in a fierce battle royale. Build the ultimate soldier from scratch and test your mettle against up to 99 other players across multiple unique maps. Only one life. Only one shot at victory per match. Wreak havoc on your own or take on the challenge in a squad of up to four players to increase your chances of survival — and glory.

Street Fighter V*

New competitors and iconic world warriors square off in Street Fighter V, Capcom’s blisteringly ferocious fighter and the latest entry in the legendary Street Fighter series! Sharpen your skills in a variety of single player modes, then prove you’ve got what it takes to best the globe’s finest fighters in online matches!

What’s more, we’re kicking off Street Fighter V PS4 Tournaments starting September 4 in the U.S. and Canada. These events will offer eligible fighters of all skill levels in those regions the opportunity to compete for cash prizing, a unique PS4 theme and a custom in-game title! Restrictions apply. More details to come.

Both games will join PS Plus on Tuesday, September 1 and be available to download for PS Plus subscribers until October 5.

Last chance to pick up August’s PS Plus games

And remember, you’ve still got time to download this month’s PS Plus games. Take part in the multiplayer* hilarity of Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout or save the world in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered. Both games will be available until August 31.

*PS Plus membership and internet connection required for online multiplayer.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/26/septembers-free-ps-plus-games-pubg-street-fighter-v/

I'm not surprised that PUBG is in decline. What I've played of it, it was really good fun and probably the purest version of the Battle Royale concept in that there was none of the building / grappling nonsense, and the island was laid out like a real place rather than a dozen MP levels stitched together. But my god, it looked rough - it looked like a PC game from 2007 on very low settings, had Catchphrase-level animation, took forever to load, and generally looked a bit turd. It was OK when it was the only BR game in town, but now that its competitors are Apex Legends, Fortnite, and Modern Warfare, all of which look pretty slick and polished, it must look arthritic - I assume anyway, I haven't played it for a couple of years.

It amazes me that the developers didn't use the lake of cash they earned to develop a new version that didn't look like an ARMA 2 mod. Still, it's a good game, and should be at least full of players when it reaches PS+.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've never gotten into Street Fighter. Is V a good one?

I think so? It started off really bare bones but was eventually patched with stuff you expected on day 1 (like single player stuff).

I sold mine a while back but wouldn't mind giving it another go.

45 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

BTW, it seems like this could just be regular SFV and not Champion Edition, which is a £25 updated version. And likely the version that most longtime fans will be playing...

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0102-CUSA01222_00-SFVCE00000000000

Yeah it's a shame they didn't just give away Champion Edition seeing as it's only £25 and comes with 99% of the game's DLC unlocked. Especially since there's a final, likely paid, season pass due at the end of the year.

Regular Street Fighter V is still the same game of course, just with fewer characters (16 instead of 40) and costumes (16 instead of one million) unlocked. You can still fight against pals who've upgraded, including PS4 vs PC matches.

It's decently populated online with plenty of low-level players even these days. I'd imagine PSPlus will see a surge in inexperienced players so it'd be a nice time to learn.

The single player modes are awful of course, because it's a fighting game.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It was a broken mess on release but after a massive rebuild it turned out great! It feels and plays like classic Street Fighter at its best and it looks amazing.

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think I'd always assumed PUBG was free and sold skins or something.

It feels like a free game, but they did charge us all £20 before they loaded it with overpriced skins and shit battle passes. It should’ve gone free to play years ago.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

PUBG is not doing great, apparently. They added bots to reduce queue times/balance matchmaking depending on who you believe. 

I’m thinking it was probably both, but it has not reduced queue times, though maybe it’s stalled their increase. It has balanced matchmaking out a bit, because newer and lower skilled players now have bits to practice on, which is much more useful than training mode. Despite the long time and hardcore players complaints about how stupid the bots are and how easy it is to kill them, I see a lot of people getting killed by bots, so they’re a challenge for someone. But they’re absolutely easier to kill than humans, and they’re great target practice. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Fornite basically came and stole most of PUBGs business and it's struggled to catch up. 

PUBG has been extremely poorly managed, with extremely poor communication from the developers and some bugs and issues that have lasted for years. Fortnite is a factor, but there’s been constant, major failures from the developers which I think are a much bigger factor. 

Despite all that, it’s one of my favourite games ever. Will be checking out the PS4 version despite playing mainly on PC.

Bots have hugely decreased queue times, @Broker - on Pubg's most popular platform, PC, you'd get maps like Miramar unavailable, with 2-5 people waiting for a lobby to fill (that never would in an afternoon). Now they do regardless. If you're in a game lobby and it's stuck at 35, bots will automatically tick in at one per second to start the game. For better or worse every mode and every map is now available, although it'll just be a 16 kill bot game if real players aren't in attendance.

Bots are starting to kill now thanks to their machine learning progression, but when they launched they were purposefully terrible. They're better now but the community opinion of them is formed from those first bots. Even today there are people with 0.5kd who've never been killed by one. 

14 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's ahead of the original Street Fighter but behind 2, 3 and 4.

Nevertheless, it's the most populated by far and the only one where you'll get a game against other novice players. The others do have online communities still but they'll be pretty much impenetrable. 

V is also pretty accessible in terms of systems and balance. Generalisation but it favours attacking play, as well. If I'm playing a bit shit, I'll quite often turn it around by just going all out. You can play defensively, but I feel you have to be pretty good to do so. 

19 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think I'd always assumed PUBG was free and sold skins or something.

Came here to post this.

Giving away a BR game just after your last BR game isn't going to help the lobby sizes in either.

And that's a Street Fighter not as good as my lovely US SNES cart.

Ah well, I haven't played CoD yet.

On 26/08/2020 at 18:23, joffocakes said:

Yeah it's a shame they didn't just give away Champion Edition seeing as it's only £25 and comes with 99% of the game's DLC unlocked. Especially since there's a final, likely paid, season pass due at the end of the year.

Regular Street Fighter V is still the same game of course, just with fewer characters (16 instead of 40) and costumes (16 instead of one million) unlocked. You can still fight against pals who've upgraded, including PS4 vs PC matches.

It's decently populated online with plenty of low-level players even these days. I'd imagine PSPlus will see a surge in inexperienced players so it'd be a nice time to learn.

The single player modes are awful of course, because it's a fighting game.

Just had a look at the roster, have they dropped Crimson Viper from the series entirely? I quite liked her in IV

12 minutes ago, wev said:

Just had a look at the roster, have they dropped Crimson Viper from the series entirely? I quite liked her in IV

She makes several appearances in the dreadful story segments but isn't playable, no. Was rumoured heavily and there's still one final character to be revealed but I kinda doubt its Viper (it has be be someone at least as exciting as Rival Schools' Akira I reckon). Capcom are fond of her and she was the sole SFIV newcomer in MvC3 so maybe she'll return in SF6?

As a viewer, I find her boring to watch. There's a handful of characters that make me roll me eyes when they pop up win the character select screen. Viper, Yun, Yang, Rufus (a little bit, he can be fun), Abigail (I swear that character has like 3 moves).