I finished the first episode last night.  Enjoyed it for sure, but 

Spoiler

the ‘twist’ - if it was meant to be that - wasn’t at all a surprise, and seeing the act itself at the end of the episode made the whole thing feel less plausible.  For example, surely their story wouldn’t have been bought given Mary-Ann was stabbed in the back, with some scissors, outside?  Unless this is a bit of misdirection given how we’ve already seen two different versions of the same memory?  

Apart from that, I really like the memory mechanic - especially given the alternative versions - and the general presentation/setting is lovely.  Didn’t feel like there were many distinct paths to go down in this episode, but guess as it’s the first one maybe things will start branching more from the next.

Roll on Thursday!

I played this for two hours last night. I hated the concept, seems to be controversial for the sake of it. Shame as the story is midly interesting and the graphics are really nice. Il keep going with it as I am intregued but the whole transgender theme just seems like it's there to be different and not really well implemented, I feel it could have gone much further with it. Maybe it will... Who knows. 

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

I played this for two hours last night. I hated the concept, seems to be controversial for the sake of it. Shame as the story is midly interesting and the graphics are really nice. Il keep going with it as I am intregued but the whole transgender theme just seems like it's there to be different and not really well implemented, I feel it could have gone much further with it. Maybe it will... Who knows. 

Oof. This feels like a pretty problematic post on the surface...can you elaborate more on why why you think it is controversial for the sake of it and why you think they should have gone further? I've got my suspicions what you're getting at but before i write an essay response I just want to check you've expressed yourself correctly here

It just feels like the a very average game and from what I have played (just done thee house) it seems like the concept was really interesting about the twins and struggling with how others deal with the transition, e.g the 'old' man in the house who blames his ideology on simply being old. 

I just feel this is the wrong kind of game to deliver that sort of idea. Firstly, the gameplay is incredibly boring. It's just life is strange. I just found myself rushing through the 'gameplay' to see the plot! 

On one hand it I think it's amazing that games are embracing characters like this, I loved that I could answer a character back with 'I am a man' which was such an awesome thing and really impactful. It feels like a really modern plot and shows how far gaming has moved on. 

I just wish there was more actual good game to support the plot I guess.

Il stick with it though may be a grower! 

Sorry, I just reread my original post. What I meant was it seems they have picked a modern story and built an average game around it hoping that the story would carry the game. I didn't mean to sound negative about transgender ism at all

It’s interesting: much smaller episodes than life is strange; released on an immediate cadence, on a service which means no one is likely to be paying on a per episode basis.

an episode done in three hours, if you explore all of each location.

not sure about the specific storyline (I mean

the twist can’t even be called that, it was clearly going to be the case

, but glad to see an appearance by

the mad hunter

3 hours ago, carlospie said:

seems to be controversial for the sake of it.

My impression was exactly the opposite. I can only assume you're talking about the decision to make one of the protagonists transgender, and I thought it was sensitively handled. In particular, although it was key to the plot, it wasn't key to Tyler's personality: he was allowed to be his own person with his own strengths and flaws rather than just being "the trans guy" for the sake of the storyline. And I thought the reactions of the other characters to his reappearance in their lives was very astutely observed.

I don't think controversy was the developers' aim at all. In fact they have made something of a career of choosing 'difficult' subjects (same-sex attraction, racism, transgenderism) and handling them with sensitivity and insight. Maybe they don't hit the mark perfectly in everything, but I can't think of anyone else trying to do this kind of thing with this degree of success.

I'd love to see an appraisal of this game by someone who's actually a member of the trans community. Maybe once the whole thing has been released.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

My impression was exactly the opposite. I can only assume you're talking about the decision to make one of the protagonists transgender, and I thought it was sensitively handled. In particular, although it was key to the plot, it wasn't key to Tyler's personality: he was allowed to be his own person with his own strengths and flaws rather than just being "the trans guy" for the sake of the storyline. And I thought the reactions of the other characters to his reappearance in their lives was very astutely observed.

I don't think controversy was the developers' aim at all. In fact they have made something of a career of choosing 'difficult' subjects (same-sex attraction, racism, transgenderism) and handling them with sensitivity and insight. Maybe they don't hit the mark perfectly in everything, but I can't think of anyone else trying to do this kind of thing with this degree of success.

I'd love to see an appraisal of this game by someone who's actually a member of the trans community. Maybe once the whole thing has been released.

Fair points and well put (run out of posses for today) 

Chapter 2 is very good (also one setting).  Equally, knowing it's all going to be wrapped up next week in another 3 hours next week.

Spoiler

What's the betting on dad then?  There only seem to be four men we have been introduced to so far - Eddy, Sam, Vecchi and the one on the ferry - Alexander I think. Only Sam and Vecchi are known to be, or have been, married.  They were careful to place Eddy as 38 so he could have been the one but that wouldn't necessarily wash with being around to teach the kids fish gutting etc (we don't know if scary fisher guy threatening blackmail was the father though).

I liked the puzzle where you had to identify the three adults with the animals in the kid's story book.

In my game Tyler couldn't let Eddy off, in part influenced by what you find out in his office, but made peace with Tessa so it's coconut cake tomorrow.

Alyson accepted the showing - why not?  I suppose the buyer could be Alexander too.  

On the recollections decisions - a bit Quantum Break! - I have gone with the original memory holder's version each time so far, so Alyson wasn't shifting her position in episode 1 for example.

Tyler is encouraging Michael.

The throwing plushie thing was crap though - I didn't get a single hit but still won the achievement! 

Also, it's great to have a "noob" style achievement :lol:

I can’t get past the awful writing in this game. The graphics are nice but the writers don’t seem to understand subtlety or character.

i didn’t really like life is strange for the same reasons, despite trying to. And this seems like more of the same. Not for me, I guess. 

I really like this, I’m finding it relaxing and engrossing.

I like the small town setting, it’s the right game at the right time, making me absolutely yearn to be out in nature in some cold loamy environment.

The trans stuff seems well judged, playing a part in proceedings without being too clumsy, central or overwrought. They deftly navigate lots of little language and cultural problems without swerving them. It’s a game made with empathy and good intentions.

There are a few niggles (tedious puzzles) and weird character moments (the twins are kind of bratty and unnecessarily mean to people!). I think with a few tweaks you could remove the paranormal element and make it more metaphorical. 

The final part is out in a couple of days, looking forward to it. 

On 28/08/2020 at 10:41, SweatyTravolta said:

That's a shame. I think Life is Strange 2 really suffered from being associated with the original title. I knew nothing about the game and started playing it a couple of days after the murder of George Floyd and boy did I need a minute after that first episode. Fantastic  game.

Yeah, I've been trying to understand why it got a much more muted critical reception than the first when I thought it was better than the first in so many ways l, and that's the only thing I can think of. It's less immediate and memeable. 

The dialogue is shorn of all the cringe and it's so much more emotionally affecting. Their best game  I would say (haven't played TMW yet).

I just finished episode 2, missed out last weekend so playing catch up. Great episode, better than the first part, really got me hooked.

Looking forward to whatever resolution comes in part 3.

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah, I've been trying to understand why it got a much more muted critical reception than the first when I thought it was better than the first in so many ways l, and that's the only thing I can think of. It's less immediate and memeable. 

The dialogue is shorn of all the cringe and it's so much more emotionally affecting. Their best game  I would say (haven't played TMW yet).

Life is Strange 2 had a really protracted release schedule too. Episodes came out months apart. It killed all the buzz for the game. 

I can absolutely see why Tell Me Why has returned to having multiple episodes in a single setting, rather than the last game’s road trip. And the weekly episode schedule has been fantastic. 

I finished the last episode on Thursday, and really enjoyed the whole thing. It was a more subtle, nuanced take on the Life Is Strange formula, with a more character driven story and lower stakes. It was really well done.

Just started Episode 1 yesterday.

I really want to like it, it’s an important milestone for gaming with a trans character (who is actually voiced by a trans actor, which I think is vital) but so much of it is chore to play. That fucking goblin book can do one for starters. Who wants to read that shit?

And who wants to interact with all the crap that’s around, like a teddy or a drawing for no reason at all? Not me, that’s for sure. The story, thank goodness, seems excellent and this shouldn’t be overlong like LIS2 was (boy, did that game go on for an age) as it’s only 3 episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked this, particularly the puzzles in Chapter 3 that required the book - although I do think it owed a pretty huge debt to What Remains of Edith Finch, and ultimately that's a much, much better game. However, that's not a huge mark against this one, it's just that What Remains of Edith Finch is a masterpiece.

I think the overall plot and characterisation is the best they've ever done. I thought LiS 2 got extremely heavy-handed at times, whereas this gave characters space which allowed everything to breathe so much more.

It's a shame this thread is so quiet. I think more people need to play this.

For various reasons I only got around to completing Episode 2 yesterday. Found it a little bit of a slog after the first episode if I'm honest. There's nothing wrong with it essentially being a very low-key pair of character studies but I'm not sure if it needed to be approx 10 hours long across all the episodes in that case, as it's become clear that the central hook of finding out what happened in the past is quite thin. This felt very much like the slightly filler-y middle act that didn't add a great deal to what we already knew, and that's true of both the plot and the central characters I think.

Will still finish off the third act at some point in the next week or so.

What did everyone pick at the end then?

Spoiler

I went with Tom's version of events, because although he was an arsehole it did seem like the most likely thing that happened, following all the attic puzzles

The twins kept their bond, although I didnt confront Sam about his addiction.