Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

11 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

It’s actually pretty good, in a generic open world fluff fashion. No doubt it helps immensely that I both have weaknessfor the genre and appreciate the level of fan service in the setting which of second to none. It’s a well executed triple B game.

But it is fun. It’s nowhere near the standard of the Arkham games, there’s too much filler in between the story content, the frame rate it a bit choppy on my mid range 3060 laptop (veers from a nailed on 60 to dips down to the mid 30s) but it does look pretty. Some of the appeal will vary on your tolerance for messing with gear and levelling but there is a very decent core game in here.

Im enjoying my time with it anyway and having the four characters that play noticeably differently is a neat touch. 

No disaster certainly but no masterpiece either.

I did notice that it gave me mid range graphics settings when I started and it was a little choppy. I thought better of that and bumped up to high which fixed everything. I think my computer was offended by that and was sulking.

Got this in the Base sale and started it last night. Took a bit of time to get my head around but finally started to click just as I hung up my cowl for the night. 

Anyway a question if I may to those who have finished it; is it best to concentrate on playing a single character or is it best to spread the love (wings) a bit? It seems to me that one character would be best instead of completing the challenges for all four but then there’s all the character specific story stuff to think about. What has everyone else done?

1 hour ago, BabelRich said:

Got this in the Base sale and started it last night. Took a bit of time to get my head around but finally started to click just as I hung up my cowl for the night. 

Anyway a question if I may to those who have finished it; is it best to concentrate on playing a single character or is it best to spread the love (wings) a bit? It seems to me that one character would be best instead of completing the challenges for all four but then there’s all the character specific story stuff to think about. What has everyone else done?

The characters level up together so you can switch between them, but annoyingly you have to do the Knighthood challenges on all four to get the 4th skill tree and the extra navigation ability which takes a bit of grinding. Depends how much time you want to take over it I guess.

I’ve been flitting between Nightwing and Batgirl so far (Barbara seems far more powerful) and each character seems to have their own subplot story you can access but unless you play the game through 4 times fully with each character you will miss quite a lot of stuff as apparently all the main story cutscenes are different depending on who you are playing.

31 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

The characters level up together so you can switch between them, but annoyingly you have to do the Knighthood challenges on all four to get the 4th skill tree and the extra navigation ability which takes a bit of grinding. Depends how much time you want to take over it I guess.

I’ve been flitting between Nightwing and Batgirl so far (Barbara seems far more powerful) and each character seems to have their own subplot story you can access but unless you play the game through 4 times fully with each character you will miss quite a lot of stuff as apparently all the main story cutscenes are different depending on who you are playing.

Thanks much. I think I’ll maybe do what you did as Dick and Babs seem the best characters and maybe patrol with the other two occasionally. Ot would be far less stressful if you didn’t have to go back to the Belfry to access new equipment. That was a dumb decision. 

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing this as it was a birthday present.

Not sure what to think so far. Great intro sequence and it looks nice but the combat feels a little lacking compared to the Arkham games. I have been beaten down countless times.

I will stick with it but it definitely feels a little off and it's not calling me back like the Arkham games did.

Well, I have certainly turned around on this. Things have clicked with the combat a bit more (helped by levelling etc), more missions have opened up and I'm liking using the different team members at specific points (they all seem well balanced).

The lack of Bats is an obvious weak point but for story purposes It works well, although it does feel like the team are all still playing second fiddle to his legend (that's probably the point).

Other than a couple of weird instances of the game dropping to single figures in large scale combat sequences (which must be a bug) it runs well enough, and zipping round the city is great.  I would still prefer the option of 60fps though.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing this through game sharing on Xbox, as I bought it for my brother in the sale. It is such an odd game. Clearly a lot of effort has been put into it but it feels like a total mishmash. I can’t be bothered to write coherently about it so here’s a bullet point list:

-Long, boring cutscenes with terrible voice acting and unlikable characters

-Dull as dishwater journal entries which I suspect that ChatGPL thing could have done a better job with 

-The whole thing feels like it’s in this uncanny valley where it’s not in the Arkham universe but similar enough that the differences jar. 
-Inconsistency in game design - sometimes your goal is waypointed and sometimes it’s not. Even in the same level and the same goal. 
-No way to “pin” an objective when going around the barren world

-A total mess of menus and game systems which manage to feel simultaneously confusing and basic

-Bits where they seemingly just didn’t bother at all, like the totally static end of level summaries. 
-In places it looks amazing with all the RT gubbins and at other times it looks flat and lifeless. 
-The bike is absolutely terrible. Floaty, no fun to ride, and bounces off objects like a bumper car. 

I’m sticking with it but I’m sort of playing it out of morbid curiosity, trying to post mortem this corpse and figure out why it exists like this. My current theory is that they wanted to make a single player Arkham-esque game but WB stuck their oar in and tried to get them to Destiny it up. 

On the flip side, I am enjoying this. The combat is ok, although later on it does get annoying fighting those "ninja" It is good each character plays a bit different.

The graphics are nice if you can run it 60fps. Raytracing isn't really needed as it looks nice without it anyway. Unfortunately Gotham feels pretty empty.

I do not really have a problem with the voice acting, it is serviceable, in fact they say some slightly amusing things if you hang around in the belfry sometimes.

Plenty of replay ability with the different characters you can play with different fighting styles.

Id say it is worth picking up on the cheap, but it does eventually become repetitive unless you are just wanting to get the best of the best gear. 

Hopefully there will be some good dlc, but they need to fix performance issues on PC which seems the norm with most new pc releases these days.

Ive put over 40 hours in so far and have not played any of the co op side of the game, so I have had my monies worth out of it.

There is something to the combat. It’s not horrible and it is making me want to see how it develops, but it is much clunkier than the Arkham combat. I don’t even mind it being 30fps on Series X because everything feels quite slow paced. 

Changing characters and then levelling them up and crafting gear individually is very tedious. Having to go over to workbenches or whatever, rather than being able to do it from one menu makes things even worse. 

I’ve probably only played about 2 hours but it seems quite buggy or at least janky in places - had to reload the level early on because you have to summon the bike to proceed and the button wasn’t working, and then there’s been times where my character gets a bit stuck on scenery or trying to get the prompt for a grapple point or to open a chest has been very finicky. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

There is something to the combat. It’s not horrible and it is making me want to see how it develops, but it is much clunkier than the Arkham combat.

It's the switch from "counter" to "dodge" that really changes how it feels and breaks up combos unless you time it right.

Yeah. It's not just that though - the dodges are actually ok, I think, but the animation is just really hurky-jerky.

Whole thing is weird. There is this very misguided bit where you're having a big and very boring fight while a punk rock version of Ricky Martin's Livin' Lavida Loca plays that is hilariously bad. I am dying to know what happened during the development of this game. This is the studio that did Arkham Origins, which was great.

The open world is especially odd, somebody on development smartly decided to not do the Ubisoft thing of icon vomit, but they didn't manage to put anything engaging in its place so you have this huge open world that is annoying to traverse and serves to just break up the fights. The bike feels so slow.

There's a good game in there somewhere screaming to get out but yeah, it does feel like it had multiple major changes in direction during development. I bet at some point that open world was meant to have loads of online quests and stuff on it.

I also picked this up in the sale and have spent a few hours with it now. It feels a bit like the stage production of an Arkham game, strings and cardboard all on show.

My favourite moment so far came last night when morbid curiosity made me scan one of the QR codes in an incomplete journal entry only for the page to 404. :lol: