FOOTBALL - 2020/21 EFL League 1 & 2, National Leagues and Regional Leagues

My Team will end up  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Phew! We managed to stay up by default. What a horrible season of streaming games it has been. We lost 9 out of the last 13 but luckily, there were worse teams. I'm relieved but I'd rather we didn't have to rely upon other teams losing. 

Roll on 21/22

Bristol and Swindon are down, so it's down to two from four. We would almost have been safe if if we hadn't missed a penalty.

There's a lot riding on the match with Rochdale on Tuesday. We both seem to have hit a run of good form at the same time.

Good luck. AFC have never been relegated and I never want to see them below MK Dons in the football pyramid. I've never understood why some billionaire somewhere hasn't bought AFC Wimbledon. It's in London and obviously could attract a huge following. You had 20,000 at Wembley so the nucleus of support is there. 

Oxford were actually quite poor yesterday so I think play offs will be Sunderland, Lincoln, Portsmouth and Blackpool. Portsmouth are playing Accrington twice and AFC Wimbledon. Oxford have only two games left and Blackpool have four. Lincoln also have four left.

I can see the bottom four remaining there. Swindon and Rovers are already gone. 

2 hours ago, artz said:

Bristol and Swindon are down, so it's down to two from four. We would almost have been safe if if we hadn't missed a penalty.

There's a lot riding on the match with Rochdale on Tuesday. We both seem to have hit a run of good form at the same time.

can't believe you missed that tbh, I mean, yeah, it was nice for Ipswich to continue the run of draws, but you should have won!!

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I've never understood why some billionaire somewhere hasn't bought AFC Wimbledon. It's in London and obviously could attract a huge following. You had 20,000 at Wembley so the nucleus of support is there.

Not as many as you took!

I don't think we'd ever sell a controlling share of the club after what happened last time round. We have major trust issues. It rules out ever getting back into the Premiership but we're at peace with that.

3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

can't believe you missed that tbh, I mean, yeah, it was nice for Ipswich to continue the run of draws, but you should have won!!

If you'd have offered a draw last month we'd have bitten your hand off.

With Sheffield Wednesday likely to go down and Bolton likely to go up, League 1 is going to have some massive teams next season if Sunderland and Portsmouth are still there. Derby too possibly (although unlikely).

@artz AFC are almost there. 6 points and a +5 GD with two games left. You just have to equal Rochdale's result on Saturday or Sunday week. 

You have got one easy fixture if Lincoln decide to rest players for the play offs. Rochdale are away at MK Dons in the final game though and have dodgy Doncaster who are either amazing or terrible. It's not over but I think Rochdale have run out of steam now.

It was a rollercoaster last night @neoELITE! Sloppy defending to let in three set piece goals, missing a second penalty in a row is annoying; coming back from behind showed character though.

All these big teams next season should be good for away gates (if that ever happens gain). My dad supports Wednesday so would be great to take him to Plough Lane to see them.

Even though Southend United won today at Barrow beating them at Holker Street 1-2. But Scunthorpe United’s draw means we are relegated.

Southend will be playing up in the National League next season, for the first time out of the football league in 101 years.

On a weird side note, it was Phil Brown's 100th victory as the Southend United manager.

Be interesting to see now what happens about the move away from Roots Hall to the new proposed stadium at Fossetts Farm.

Been a supporter since the early 90's, following them around the country and can't think of a worse time for us.

Been a truly awful last few years, lets hope something can ignite us, especially with the talk about a potentially buy out backed by Stan Collymore and others.

Commiserations there, it's be a pretty unrelenting horror show down the for a while.

Lincoln needed to beat Peterborough to keep their hopes alive of going up automatically at the expense of the visitors.  3-2 up, into injury time and this penalty is given.

Lincoln must be seething at that. Would have been exciting for it to go down to the final day if Lincoln had held on and won in midweek. 

As for us, play-offs almost secure although a defeat at home to Donny on Tuesday and it’ll get my arse twitching ahead of the final day where anything could happen even though we’ve got Bristol Rovers at home. 

I thought we were completely seen off by the officials yesterday until I saw that Peterborough penalty decision.  That's frankly disgraceful.  Surely they can send that footage to the EFL and make a real complaint.  If anything, that should be a red card to the Peterborough player.  Lincoln were 3-0 up at one point so it shouldn't have even been an issue but if I was the Lincoln manager, 'd be getting a fine through the post next week for comments against the officials.  It makes me laugh when Premier League fans bemoan how bad the officials are in the top flight. 

Yesterday, we lost 1-3 to Sunderland.  They didn't have a single player booked even though the same player (Max Power) blatantly dived twice without winning a free kick.  The first one was a genuine case of cheating.  We had a player booked for picking the ball up and wandering off with it after conceding a free kick - that's fair enough as it is and should be a yellow card offence.  Four times Sunderland did the exact same thing and the referee did nothing.  Their first goal was dubious - it looked offside and the linesman stumbled so was about 6 or 7 yards behind play when Sunderland's Stewart ran through to score.  We had 2 free kicks in 90 minutes.  Can anyone remember a competitive game (and it was) where one team only get two free kicks?  They had a penalty when the foul was a good six yards outside the box.  The ref initially gave a free kick but changed his mind - it was one of those instances where the player managed to remain on his feet whilst being fouled until he got into the box and hurled himself to the floor.  We had a penalty turned down even though the defender tackled from the wrong side, didn't touch the ball (the ref gave a goal kick) and brought our player down who was trying to cross it.  Our players were being blocked off the ball and the ref was giving us the advantage - is it an advantage when we have a player, isolated against four defenders with nowhere to go and nobody to pass to?  At one point, he gave a goal kick after a shot on target was saved by their keeper and the ball went over the by line by a good yard.  There was no player near the keeper at this point.

I've never seen a match where the ref looked like he had a team in his accumulator bet and I'm fairly unbiased usually but yesterday, this referee was so biased, it was really quite obvious.  

Even the Sunderland fans on their forum couldn't believe their luck.

It didn't matter to us at all but we only got 2 free kicks all game and we had a fair chunk of possession.  I'm amazed he allowed our goal.

Roll on next season.

The National League is really hotting up - Wrexham leap into the play offs and Torquay seem to have hit form at the right time.  As a Devon based football fan, I'd love to see Torquay and Exeter promoted this season.  

Don’t feel too sorry for Lincoln - when we played them before they piled up foul after foul and how they never had at least one sent off I’ll never know. Football gives and takes - we lost 1-0 to Sunderland to an equally dodgy penalty. In that same game we’d hit the post and the bar. The penalty was one goal, from 3-0 up they should be looking at themselves not trying to pin it all on the official.

Of course I’d be livid the other way, but can any fan honestly say they’ve never been the beneficiary of a dodgy looking decision and been perfectly happy to take it?

We were relegated at Crystal Palace with the highest points ever thanks to a dodgy free kick. We’ve finally made it back, thanks to a dodgy pen. Funny old game.

Good luck to Blackpool I reckon, they are the team in-form.

The word dodgy obviously means something else to what I always thought it meant. Promotion isn’t won in a single game though, congratulations. 

40 minutes ago, AfromB said:

The word dodgy obviously means something else to what I always thought it meant. Promotion isn’t won in a single game though, congratulations. 

What do you think it means - it was clearly a decision that in most instances you would probably not get, but in that instance the ref thought he saw contact and gave it. All the people running around saying he's obviously 'corrupt' etc are bonkers. Remember the ref sees it once, at full speed. He made a call, watching the replays it's the wrong one, but it's easy to watch stuff like that 100x on twitter etc and come to a different conclusion than the one made by the guy who saw it once from a totally different angle. As a fan, I can tell you I screamed penalty when I was watching it first time out, any fan would.

We've all been there as fans - every single one of us has seen a decision we did not agree with, and every single one of us has cheered when we got lucky with one. This is no different, and to suddenly make out it's a scandal that the EFL need to get involved (yes, there are fans calling for it) is farcical.

Lincoln are currently 8 points behind Peterborough - even if they'd won they'd be 6 points behind with a far inferior goal difference. It's not a decision that's really made a big difference to them - they are heading for the play-offs regardless - and I genuinely hope it's either them or Blackpool that win them.

Well I always thought that it meant slightly iffy, a bit contentious, not blatant cheating. I don’t blame the ref, although it is a shocking decision. I would honestly be embarrassed if one of our players did that. You must admit that it’s pretty poor. 

Anyway like I said, promotion isn’t won in a single game but through the whole season and it’s a shame that this has gotten all of the attention instead of the achievement itself. Congratulations. 

15 hours ago, AfromB said:

Well I always thought that it meant slightly iffy, a bit contentious, not blatant cheating. I don’t blame the ref, although it is a shocking decision. I would honestly be embarrassed if one of our players did that. You must admit that it’s pretty poor.

Are you a Lincoln fan (I genuinely don't know). Because if so, you've had to be embarrassed at your own players already this season then.....

I’ve never been to Lincoln in my life, so no. Honestly though fans need to  start calling out their players for this this sort of stuff. 

Hey hey, I was fuming after the game! I was in the bad books with my good lady because of my sulk and ruined Saturday night apparently. Oops. It was a ridiculous decision though.

I do get that what goes around comes around. I do get that that posh were relegated in 2013 by a dodgy decision against Fulham. And they were stiffed last year! We should have had the game won with a few sitters we missed and we shouldn't have let them score the two before that. If we'd not had the wobble six weeks ago we'd be home and dry. Ah well.  Playoffs is a great result for us! 

Just hope we can head into the playoffs on a high. It's destiny that we'll face off against DC! 

Just renewed my season ticket.   Up the Imps! 

@rgraves

That was against us. About a minute before that, Lincoln were denied a penalty that should've been given. 

If the boot was on the other foot, I think you'd be spitting feathers.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

If the boot was on the other foot, I think you'd be spitting feathers.

Of course - it was never a penalty, anyone can see that - terrible decision. It's more that people think there is some murky other picture or corruption - it was just one of thousands of terrible decisions that take place over a season up and down the country. As a fan, you win some (and cheer), you lose some (and shout obscenities). Nature of the beast. It's that, or VAR......

That, realistically is first place over with.  Last gasp goals from Torquay in two successive matches no less, and now County  have well and truly cooked our bacon.  

Given the Devon connection, I hope Torquay go up but good luck to you all. 

My club have announced a 20% discount for season ticket renewals. On sale Monday. Mine will be £315. I am renewing. 

Anyone else seen that Grimsby and Southend are petitioning to scrap relegation from League 2 on the basis that a) there were no fans this year and b) no one is getting relegated from the conference?
What a crap argument, that would also block relegation and promotion from all the other leagues :lol:

I guess we can't talk as we voted to end last season early :unsure:

11 hours ago, artz said:

Anyone else seen that Grimsby and Southend are petitioning to scrap relegation from League 2 on the basis that a) there were no fans this year and b) no one is getting relegated from the conference? What a crap argument, that would also block relegation and promotion from all the other leagues :lol:

I guess we can't talk as we voted to end last season early :unsure:

Was reading up on this yesterday, our chairman was on the radio discussing (or not) his reasoning behind it:

Not going to happen and seems a waste of time and money, which we don't have anyway.

Southend's demise has passed me by a bit, but christ what a fucking embarrassment of man he is. I know he's desperate, but to even suggest the option of no promotion from the National League this season is such a cunty thing to do. He doesn't want to be there? If he'd run the football club a bit better he wouldn't be there. 

Sorry about your relegation by the way grounded_dreams. It's shit, I know. Hopefully things start to turn around soon for you. 

Southend have won 28 League Games in the last three seasons. Less than 10 a season on average. They had 2 points going into their 12th fixture this season. 

They've been a shambles for years. 

For context, Cheltenham at the top this season have won 23.