IGNORED

Can we get E3 back now?

Sarlaccfood

I think these digital conferences are not good alternatives to a proper E3 show. The best bits of all the conferences are the bits where executives take to the high wire and attempt to present a tv show live on stage. There's no risk or excitement when it's prerecorded in someone's spare room and they can have ten goes until it's not as bad. There's a lot to be said for things happening live, right now IMO. I know some people opt to watch things later at a more convenient time, but it unfurling before you, and most people at that moment makes it so much more special, to me at least.

To a degree, there's probably not anything in it for the platform holders now, they get to disseminate their message and to have more control while they're doing it, but I hope that something happens this year to make publishers think it's worthwhile, so that proper E3 will be back next year.

I think the real test will be next year or whenever lockdown ends.  Schedules will have changed for various teams in different ways. Some will have handled remote working better think others and I think that's meant some shows being super bland while others have been just bland.  Next year hopefully lockdown will have eased, more next gen games will be in a state to be shown and we can judge these remote conferences/game shows better.    As an example of how to do these well the Nintendo Directs are good examples.   But even they hit a few dud notes.  I'd much prefer the motherload at an E3 and then happily ignore most other things as the same games get shown plus one or two extra at the smaller shows.

7 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I don't see it coming back. Both Ubi and Sony had way better metrics than they had during E3. Why would they go back if it's cheaper to do it their way and get more viewers as a result?

E3 is dead. Lock it in.

Yeah you’re probably right.

Not everyone is Sony and Ubisoft though. I’d be interested to know the metrics of the smaller guys and if being featured in one of the 400 Tesco Directs we’ve had this summer garnered the same eyes and networking opportunities a trade show normally gets them.

I wonder if the lack of a centrepiece like E3 has actually contributed to the problem in that companies don't feel the pressure to really wow the audience. They know they're just pitching to the already converted for the most part. It's the only vague idea I can come up with as to why MS in particular has shown so little actual footage of Series X games for example (apart from shitty Halo). 

It's like the way football teams treat a preseason friendly as opposed to a competitive match. 

I also really missed the interviews like Giant Bomb's e3 night shows. 

On 14/08/2020 at 09:00, Vemsie said:

I don't see it coming back. Both Ubi and Sony had way better metrics than they had during E3. Why would they go back if it's cheaper to do it their way and get more viewers as a result?

E3 is dead. Lock it in.

This might have in part been helped by global events... How much is the average punter going to give a shit when they finally have good alternatives to staring at a screen at home in some future summer?

Streamed presentations are fine. Dragging it out over a nebulous forever war time period, not so much.

Even the Devolver Digital filmed presentation was affected this year, by crappier content.

That was the real negative effect of SARS2, content reveals took a hit, or I'll blame that on end-of-gen dregs/new-gen not running at full speed yet.

On 14/08/2020 at 12:03, Broker said:

Poor giant bomb, having their toothless PR upstaged by even more toothless and even cheaper PR.

:lol:

This couldn't be further than the truth when it comes to Jeff Gerstmann. He hates everything!

32 minutes ago, mushashi said:

This might have in part been helped by global events... How much is the average punter going to give a shit when they finally have good alternatives to staring at a screen at home in some future summer?

Maybe, but it was not like Nintendo Directs didn't exist before Covid. Tradeshows are expensive and they put a lot of strain on developers who need to get their vertical slice finished in time.

And while publishers might not care, digital events are better for the environment as well, so that's a nice bonus.

E3 is a dinosaur as far as I'm concerned.

From a business POV, trade/fan shows are a good networking opportunity, especially for indie and unknown devs. For end punters, they might not give a shit either way I'll agree, I certainly didn't pay attention to E3 itself, just the press briefings, which were all held before the E3 trade show actually began.

• 1 year later...

No need imo. We basically had what E3 has become anyway. A set of unrelated shows which we stream online.

Why would any company want to pay to be part of E3 when they can (and already do) do the show online at a timing of their choosing.

All Covid and other factors did was hasten the end.

E3 was much better than what we have now. Rich Stanton gets it: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/were-worse-off-without-e3/

These days it's trendy for corporations to pretend they get along (on social media at least, the hideous portmanteau of 'branter' looming large) but honestly I want them at each other's throats. I want to see nervous executives on stage, over-hyped developers, demos going wrong, and absolutely savage callbacks (like Sony's 'How to share games on PS4').

For me that's why E3 was always absolute catnip, because it was forcing these giant entities together into a convention centre and saying show us what you got. It might be that the disasters are more memorable, but there's also something you get from a live crowd that the streams will never be able to replicate: The sheer euphoria of the reaction to something like Final Fantasy VII Remake; watching Don Mattrick struggle to sell the original Xbox One to an unimpressed and cold crowd; even something as simple as Ghostwire Tokyo being announced by Ikumi Nakamra saying "we are making a new kind of action-adventure game… it's spooky!"

26 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Why would having all these shit presentations badged as E3 make it any better?

It’s the show floor that I’m missing the most. Once the dust settles from the big presentations it would be about this time we’d start getting the reporting coming through of all the unknown, interesting looking stuff that wasn’t a big deal until the press got their hands on it and started spreading the word.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think as many people would be asking for E3 back if there was anything vaguely exciting been shown at the moment. 

That’s it though isn’t it? We don’t know because nobody is playing anything other than the big publisher games, which is the section of the industry that’s been hit hardest by covid.

The quiet years are when the smaller stuff would get a chance to shine in the past and without the show floor there’s less chance for anything like that to come through and become the surprise hit of the show.

There would be days of reading on the various websites and Edge to get through if you were interested in wandering off the beaten track. 

I honestly don't give a fuck either way.

Although, don't give us these shite live streams. Just announce a date and time that a 4k upload of your press release is available on YouTube. 

4 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That’s it though isn’t it? We don’t know because nobody is playing anything other than the big publisher games, which is the section of the industry that’s been hit hardest by covid.

The quiet years are when the smaller stuff would get a chance to shine in the past and without the show floor there’s less chance for anything like that to come through and become the surprise hit of the show.

There would be days of reading on the various websites and Edge to get through if you were interested in wandering off the beaten track. 

Are they not? Are smaller titles still not absolutely smashing it? It seems to me that Switch, PC gaming and Game Pass are full of massive numbers of interesting titles and they get a lot of coverage.

14 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s the show floor that I’m missing the most. Once the dust settles from the big presentations it would be about this time we’d start getting the reporting coming through of all the unknown, interesting looking stuff that wasn’t a big deal until the press got their hands on it and started spreading the word.

I don't think that show floor would exist any more. All the interesting stuff from smaller devs and publishers wouldn't be forking out to go to E3 would they? They've got steam fest, Kickstarter, and you know, the massive audience of indie titles online these days.

And the big platform holders seemed to already be done with the concept. Only MS were still going weren't they?

I think what's really happened is that many Devs ahve realised holding all their stuff until E3 simply gets them lost in the swamp of information. Putting out stuff at other times is much more likely to get you some actual coverage.

13 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Are they not? Are smaller titles still not absolutely smashing it? It seems to me that Switch, PC gaming and Game Pass are full of massive numbers of interesting titles and they get a lot of coverage.

I don't think that show floor would exist any more. All the interesting stuff from smaller devs and publishers wouldn't be forking out to go to E3 would they? They've got steam fest, Kickstarter, and you know, the massive audience of indie titles online these days.

And the big platform holders seemed to already be done with the concept. Only MS were still going weren't they?

I think what's really happened is that many Devs ahve realised holding all their stuff until E3 simply gets them lost in the swamp of information. Putting out stuff at other times is much more likely to get you some actual coverage.

Yeah for sure, broadly speaking indies etc are in rude health, but in the context of this summer and what has replaced E3, I know that a lot of stuff shown at the Summer Games Fest and  the Xbox show I’ve not heard about since, and I feel outlets would have had a chance to circle back round to them with previews and hands-on content once they’d actually played them. Whereas it felt like a bunch of stuff just came and went and (maybe fairly or not) got dismissed as filler. I’m worried there’s stuff that’s a write-off now just because they had a shit trailer. 

Also I’m sure a strong showing at these shows with good industry word of mouth helps the smaller devs negotiate better deals for gamepass, storefronts etc. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Did you not watch the Xbox showcase? It was probably 90% games that wouldn’t be given the time of day at e3 other than, as you put it, journalists ambling around between big presentations. 

Yeah that’s what I mean, stuff like that needs hands-on time as it might not be able to stand up on just the strength of a generic looking trailer a separate marketing team has made.

A lot of the stuff in that showcase might play great or like shit. I just don’t know.