Apple boots Fortnite off the App Store

21 minutes ago, Totoro said:

My son and all is school friends. Probably 1 or 2 others :)

Aye, I work in a primary school and it’s huge on iPhones and iPads.  

19 minutes ago, cubik said:

Edit - I totally get the whole "apple take the piss with their fees" thing, and I could definitely get behind the idea of a load of indie or smaller developers complaining because they struggle to make a profit once apple have taken their cut but in this instance, nope.

If Epic win, it would (should) benefit the smaller companies. They probably can't afford to take on Apple themselves. With this discount thing, doesn't that show that they (Epic) are happy/willing to charge customers less but don't want to because of the cut taken by the platform holder? Yeah they could swallow the cut themselves but the smaller companies might not find it so easy.

• Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Getting popcorn.

Good on them. I hope they push not for an exemption for them but that the practice as a whole is problematic and that a company with their pockets can move the conversation forwards for all app developers (not just against Apple but Google too).

Yeah this is what I thought.

Christ this is quite mad. 

I find it interesting that its happened shortly after the 'big 4' were up in front of the committees justifying themselves. 

MS must be watching this with a lot of interest. I agree that we shouldn't feel sorry for them, after all they have gotten fucking rich of exploiting kids but its a bold move that has potential positive outcomes. 

I think it's very well timed with the antitrust hearings.  I'm no fan of (modern) Apple or Epic games, so this is a win-win.  Hopefully it leads to change, from which everyone can benefit.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Broker said:

I also think they’re majorly overestimating where Fortnite is at the moment.

I suspect they have a bloody good idea where Fortnite is at the moment.

you know how Pokemon go was all done, and keeps having the biggest revenue years ever?

we’re all about the new. The money trails that.

• Upvote 2

Maybe a sliding scale would work where low income apps pay a much much  smaller commission, but as turnover increases, so does the rate.

That way apple can be seen to be the good guys who have the up and coming developer's interests at heart, but can still stiff microtransaction peddling companies who make gazillions like Epic.

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

MS must be watching this with a lot of interest. I agree that we shouldn't feel sorry for them, after all they have gotten fucking rich of exploiting kids but its a bold move that has potential positive outcomes. 

This is my take also. Yeah, they are shits but if something good comes of it, I don't mind. I want xCloud on iOS and maybe this could help?

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

They didn’t write this lawsuit in a day. Apple fell into a big elephant trap. I hope Epic wins.

the hilarity, from the sidelines, is that Apple knew as they jumped in they were stepping into the elephant trap and it was just a case of when they were going to do so with Epic.

• Upvote 1

At first I was just bemused and curious to see if anything good would come of this, but Epic recruiting their player base – the majority of whom are very young – to aid their legal battle is low. This is just billionaires arguing over their cut of a fortune, not activism.

• Upvote 4

In one corner we have a monopoly that takes a slice of every pie baked in their walled garden. Exploiting its customers. 

in the other corner we have a company that has expertly cornered the billion dollar market of exploiting the social pressures placed on school kids to spend spend spend. 

• Upvote 1

The lawsuit is fascinating, it's pretty much just Tim Sweeney's Twitter account on legal paper. Never seen anything like it (though I do not read many lawsuits).

I get that this looks like two billionaires fighting over ivory backscratchers, and of course it is in a way. But this is more about Tim Sweeney putting his money where his mouth has been for years now. I think he's fully aware of how obscene the wealth and power his company has amassed over the last few years really is, and is trying to use it to make the game (and now tech) industry a better place, if only by a few percentage points. I can dig it.

The less said about weaponising a brainwashed tweenie audience by advertising the whole thing in-game the better, admittedly. 

• Upvote 7
54 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Epic positioning themselves as the good guys of gaming for trying to reduce the price on their exploitative micro-transactions makes me feel ill. Co-opting a marketing campaign as part of it to rally the playerbase is the cherry floating around the puddle of sick.

Thanks Epic.

I think their issue is the 30% cut Apple (and Valve) take, rather than wanting cheaper microtransactions above all else. This is well documented and they have at least put their money where their mouth is with the Epic Store and its 12% cut. 

I’d be happy to see them win this fight. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t really understand everybody complaining about Apple getting a cut of everything sold via it’s store. If someone asked me to sell their stock in my store but without making money from it, I’d laugh in there face.

And it’s not as if this is different from Nintendo, MS or Sony’s game consoles.

It’s fine if you don’t like it, just buy an Android phone.

I think it’s more about how much of a cut they take, rather than begrudging them any at all. 

You also can’t ignore the fact that they’re the richest company on the planet and the people they give preferential treatment to (Amazon) are up there with them, while tiny startups fork over the full 30%.

If the 30% cut is so unfair, why aren’t they going after Sony and Microsoft? I mean I know why, it’s because customers on those platforms are either spending more and can’t be lost or spending less and so their cut means less. Either way, if your plan is to altruistically improve the gaming industry, why would you target Apple, whose practices have so little material impact on the majority of the industry?

Don’t think anybody is complaining about them taking a cut rather that taking a 30% cut is a ridiculously high amount for the service they provide and one that Epic themselves have proven can be reduced drastically whilst still seeing huge profits for themselves, and better returns for developers.

The 30% default cut that the majority of digital storefronts take isn’t even based off anything. It’s just some arbitrary number that became the norm. It’s dumb and way past time it changed.

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Broker said:

If the 30% cut is so unfair, why aren’t they going after Sony and Microsoft? I mean I know why, it’s because customers on those platforms are either spending more and can’t be lost or spending less and so their cut means less. Either way, if your plan is to altruistically improve the gaming industry, why would you target Apple, whose practices have so little material impact on the majority of the industry?

Mobile gaming is more than half the industry. And they've already gone after Steam. This is just what comes next.

• Upvote 6

Epic aren't doing this because they think it'll be positive for the games industry. They are the johnny-come-lately to digital marketplace and just trying any angle possible to make an indent into market share. The outcome of whether Apple drop revenue% is irrelevant to them - they want to promote themselves, the epic brand, and their store.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Epic aren't doing this because they think it'll be positive for the games industry. They are the johnny-come-lately to digital marketplace and just trying any angle possible to make an indent into market share. The outcome of whether Apple drop revenue% is irrelevant to them - they want to promote themselves, the epic brand, and their store.

Sweeney has been banging on about this stuff for years before either Fortnite or the Epic Store were a thing. 

• Upvote 1