Apple boots Fortnite off the App Store

So Epic basically snuck the ability to buy V-bucks from them directly in the iOS version of Fortnite - circumventing in app purchases, essentially.

They knew this would kick up a stink but seem to be trying to provoke a response:

Apple’s statement:

Today, Epic Games took the unfortunate step of violating the App Store guidelines that are applied equally to every developer and designed to keep the store safe for our users. As a result their Fortnite app has been removed from the store. Epic enabled a feature in its app which was not reviewed or approved by Apple, and they did so with the express intent of violating the App Store guidelines regarding in-app payments that apply to every developer who sells digital goods or services.

Epic has had apps on the App Store for a decade, and have benefited from the App Store ecosystem - including it’s tools, testing, and distribution that Apple provides to all developers. Epic agreed to the App Store terms and guidelines freely and we’re glad they’ve built such a successful business on the App Store. The fact that their business interests now lead them to push for a special arrangement does not change the fact that these guidelines create a level playing field for all developers and make the store safe for all users. We will make every effort to work with Epic to resolve these violations so they can return Fortnite to the App Store.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/13/21366438/apple-fortnite-ios-app-store-violations-epic-payments

This seems like the wrong battle to pick right now, I think. Apple’s app store policies are irritating and arbitrary in many ways - stopping xCloud and Stadia, and other non gaming apps, as they’ve recently taken some flack for, but I think they have a point that in app purchases at least keep people safe from dodgy app developers putting links to weird stores and the like in their apps.

Yeah. You have to wonder what the aim is with this. Is it the opening salvo in Epic picking a fight over the app store policies? They obviously knew they'd be kicked off the store for doing it.

Epic have also made purchases 20% cheaper if you buy on pc or console, as they don't have to pay the 30% cut there. They offered this price on the iOS and Android versions if you paid directly to Epic. 

I guess they're hoping Fortnite is big enough to bully them into changing their policies.

I was most surprised to see the price of Vbucks go down by 20% on PC and console!

But yes the "buy vbucks from us instead of via applepay" was always going to cause a ruckus.

What is interesting is that I thought Console manufacturers got a percentage cut of IAP and DLC and Mtx or whatever they are called this week :D

If that is the case then does this mean Sony/MS/Nintendo don't get a cut of vbucks purchases when you buy through the console itself?

Previously Apple have shown little regard for gaming apart from taking their cut. They have done some things in that space but it always looks half arsed/ not joined up.

So not sure if they will care if Fortnite leaves

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Epic were probably fully aware of how much of a nuclear option this was. I kind of wonder if Apple are. This is like removing Disney Plus.

How many people are playing it on iPhone or iPad?

and yes, they were clearly expecting to go straight to court.

2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Previously Apple have shown little regard for gaming apart from taking their cut. They have done some things in that space but it always looks half arsed/ not joined up.

So not sure if they will care if Fortnite leaves

Right, there’s a straight line from Steve Jobs’ “if you want to tell a story or have a message, make a book or a movie, not a game” and “you can stream Netflix but not Xbox games”.

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I was most surprised to see the price of Vbucks go down by 20% on PC and console!

But yes the "buy vbucks from us instead of via applepay" was always going to cause a ruckus.

What is interesting is that I thought Console manufacturers got a percentage cut of IAP and DLC and Mtx or whatever they are called this week :D

If that is the case then does this mean Sony/MS/Nintendo don't get a cut of vbucks purchases when you buy through the console itself?

I assume the consoles take a much smaller cut. 

2 minutes ago, footle said:

How many people are playing it on iPhone or iPad?

and yes, they were clearly expecting to go straight to court.

Not sure how many have stuck, but over 100m downloads in the first 5 months apparently.

Well I for one feel bad for Epic who have made untold millions after releasing one of the most profitable and popular games of the last 10 years on the worlds most profitable app store.

I may organise a fun run to raise funds for them.

Edit - I totally get the whole "apple take the piss with their fees" thing, and I could definitely get behind the idea of a load of indie or smaller developers complaining because they struggle to make a profit once apple have taken their cut but in this instance, nope.

Just now, cubik said:

Well I for one feel bad for Epic who have made untold millions after releasing one of the most profitable and popular games of the last 10 years on the worlds most profitable app store.

Whoever wins, two corporations lose millions of dollars and at least one of them comes out materially worse off.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Whoever wins, two corporations lose millions of dollars and at least one of them comes out materially worse off.

Some lawyers will make money, that's for sure.

It's basically two greedy fuckers fighting over millions they want but don't actually need and that will make fuck all difference to them in the long term anyway.

4 minutes ago, cubik said:

Some lawyers will make money, that's for sure.

The true winners will definitely be the lawyers and courts. This will pump millions in fees and work through the legal system.

Getting popcorn.

Good on them. I hope they push not for an exemption for them but that the practice as a whole is problematic and that a company with their pockets can move the conversation forwards for all app developers (not just against Apple but Google too).

15 minutes ago, cubik said:

Edit - I totally get the whole "apple take the piss with their fees" thing, and I could definitely get behind the idea of a load of indie or smaller developers complaining because they struggle to make a profit once apple have taken their cut but in this instance, nope.

no indie or smaller developer can. Even the likes of Microsoft won’t. This is basically Tim Sweeney, backed up by Tencent, putting his money where his mouth is.

with the slight possibility that he makes even more money, but he has been moaning publically  kind of thing for the last two decades.