New Amiga Bubble Bobble Port - Beta

I really like this new(ish) trend of giving old machines the versions of classic contemporaneous games that they deserved. Really illustrates well what the machines and developers were capable of. It also shows how developers back then were constrained, by the business aspects (deadlines I guess) as well as lack of access to the source materials. I've read several developer stories in Retro Gamer or wherever, where they said they were basically just given an arcade cabinet and told "convert this". If they were lucky they would have a way of squirting the graphics out of the ROMs, but stuff like gameplay mechanics enemy AI etc seemingly had to be recreated from scratch based on their observations of how the arcade cab worked.

I used to have the jamma cab and new all those secrets inside and out. I still have the board (no idea if it works still and no way to test :(). I still play on an emulator, it must be the game I have played for the longest period of time, maybe 31-2 years?

On 13/08/2020 at 22:51, dumpster said:

Really good article on how Bubble Bobble works. I like knowing how to trigger the sweets to appear (51 bubbles, 51 jumps) and the shoe (move around on the ground as much as possible) and how players can exploit the mechanics of the game to make sure the bonus items appear.  

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/340040/Exploring_the_secret_depths_of_Bubble_Bobbles_design.php

I remember there was a lot of these in Parasol Stars as well. I vaguely recall an article in The One detailing these I think. Oddly although Rainbow Islands was technically impressive I always preferred Bubble Bobble (maybe because I played in the arcade as a kid) and Parasol Stars.

On 13/08/2020 at 22:51, dumpster said:

Really good article on how Bubble Bobble works. I like knowing how to trigger the sweets to appear (51 bubbles, 51 jumps) and the shoe (move around on the ground as much as possible) and how players can exploit the mechanics of the game to make sure the bonus items appear.  

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/340040/Exploring_the_secret_depths_of_Bubble_Bobbles_design.php

Thanks for the link.

I knew that Bubble Bobble had a fair bit going on beneath the surface but I definitely didn't realise it was basically Battle Garegga before Battle Garegga.

Amazing.