IGNORED

Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

wPZcdvT.jpg

Cause no-one seems to bother to make a proper thread and/or update the ones in existence, and since the original Xbox Psychonauts is one of my all-time favourite games, I'm making a thread myself.

Psychonauts 2 is the long awaited sequel to the cult classic Psychonauts, which was an awesome 3D action-platformer that saw players litterally dive into the minds of different people, leading to a colourful and insane world in which the imagination of the creators seemed to be the only limitation.

The first game came out in 2005, so it's been over 15 years since this incredibly unique psychological platformer hit consoles. Thankfully, Psychonauts 2 - after all its development/publisher niggles - now really seems to be happening, and Double Fine, the creators behind the series and many other unique titles, is aiming to make it bigger and better than the original in every way.

Psychonauts 2 was first officially announced back in 2015, and since then it's been a very long and very bumpy road to release, with numerous setbacks and compromises Double Fine had to make for the project. After a successful crowdfunding campaign and an acquisition from a larger company, Double Fine is all set to make Psychonauts 2 a reality sometime in 2021. There were times when it wasn't sure the project was even going to survive, but Psychonauts 2 is now pretty much inevitable at this point.

The story of the sequel picks up a few years after the end of the first game, when Razputin Aquato, trained acrobat and powerful young psychic, has realized his life long dream of joining the international psychic espionage organization known as the Psychonauts. But now these psychic super spies are in trouble. Their leader hasn't been the same since he was kidnapped, and what's worse, there's a mole hiding in the Psychonauts' headquarters. Raz must use all his powers to stop the mole before they execute their secret plan — to bring the murderous psychic villain, Maligula, back from the dead!

First trailer:

Action trailer:

Launch trailer:

>>  Official website.

Release: August 25th, 2021. Which is awesome!

ehr4REY.png

40 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

A little OT but how is the original on modern PC's? I don't think I ever finished it but loved what I played on a borrowed PS2 copy.

Not sure. It’s surprisingly good on Xbox backwards compatibility. The low resolution for menus etc. is a bit odd, just in information per screen terms. The graphics and gameplay otherwise hold up well, and the amount of imagination per square inch is great.

havent bothered playing as far as the meat circus though.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

A little OT but how is the original on modern PC's? I don't think I ever finished it but loved what I played on a borrowed PS2 copy.

Perfectly playable. I replayed it to the end within the last year (Steam version). Still as awesome as it always was (well acknowledged final level issues design issues aside) 

31 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I reckon the meat circus really wasn't that bad. I managed without any real problems, and was quite surprised people had so many issues with it.

"Here, bun, bun, bun!"

I agree, and didn't have much grief with it back on the original xbox, but I do recognise it as some of the weakest level design in the game. Of course when you're comparing it to such highs as the milkman conspiracy, there's bound to be weaker parts. Overall it remains a favourite and I can't wait for the sequel :)

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I bought it for 99p in a steam sale, probably nearly a decade ago and had an amazing time with it. It's probably one of my favourite games of all time. I think they fixed the difficulty issues that people complained about back on the original release - I didn't have any problems with it.

I'm super excited for the sequel.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To be fair, I don't care how this looks at all. If it has half the inventiveness of the first game it'll be incredible. 

17 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

To be fair, I don't care how this looks at all. If it has half the inventiveness of the first game it'll be incredible. 

That's what we're all hoping for, though it may be lost in the CONSOLE WARS.

1 hour ago, footle said:

That's what we're all hoping for, though it may be lost in the CONSOLE WARS.

It's a game pass game, at least on the Xbox side it means it's immune to "the warz" - people just play it

32 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a game pass game, at least on the Xbox side it means it's immune to "the warz" - people just play it

That lasted a single post. :lol: 

Xbox page has just gone live, but no release date. Appears to be optimized for Series X/S. Wouldn't surprise me if this is shadowdropped at E3. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/psychonauts-2/9nbr2vxt87sj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Loads of new pics at the link. 

Edit: plot synopsis:

Razputin Aquato, trained acrobat and powerful young psychic, has realized his life long dream of joining the international psychic espionage organization known as the Psychonauts! But these psychic super spies are in trouble. Their leader hasn't been the same since he was kidnapped, and what's worse, there's a mole hiding in headquarters. Raz must use his powers to stop the mole before they execute their secret plan--to bring the murderous psychic villain, Maligula, back from the dead!

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

What?! Amazing. I assumed it was going to be Q3. Hopefully it’s not a mistake and we’ll get to play it soon. 

GOTY 2021. 

It can't be a mistake. If the preload is up, the game is done. It's gonna be a shadowdrop, it's the only explanation at this point. 

The preload has been removed from the Xbox app, although I've got it installed on my console. Looks like someone jumped the gun. 

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

The preload has been removed from the Xbox app, although I've got it installed on my console. Looks like someone jumped the gun. 

It’s surely an E3 drop, unless they’re concerned about to getting lost in the noise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...