IGNORED

Knight Rider remake attempt #18

JohnC

It seems like every couple of years there's another one of these :lol:

This time James Wan wants to make a movie. A screenplay is being adapted by TJ Fixman (great name), who has apparently been a videogame writer. A bunch of Ratchet & Clank's and Resistance 2. He's recently done some other movie scripts, which are in various stages of development but none released yet.

I think if you're going to reboot it do it like the last Rocky when he was down on his heels a bit reliving old glories.

Bring back Hasselhoff and the original KITT and have them both struggle to deal with the passing of time, Hasselhoff now as ageing beefcake with bad knees and hips and KITT struggling with the fact he's less technologically advanced than a Tesla.

Hmph. Do Airwolf instead. Stringfellow Hawke tracks down Mankind's Greatest Achievement and recovers it from its insane designer, then refuses to release it to the CIA until they recover his idiot brother St John from being held as a POW somewhere in Afghanistan. He takes it out for a spin at weekends to entertain kids and blow the crap out of fash white supremacists and greedy corporate dickheads all the while the CIA frantically try and track it down. The end of the film is him playing the theme tune on a cello in the middle of a lake giving no fucks.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

Bring back Hasselhoff and the original KITT and have them both struggle to deal with the passing of time, Hasselhoff now as ageing beefcake with bad knees and hips and KITT struggling with the fact he's less technologically advanced than a Tesla.

Great idea, and plenty of comedic potential with Hasselhoff uttering lines like “I’m too old for this shit!” as he takes down a bad guy a third of his age.

What I want: Michael Knight is living off the grid after being wounded some 35 years ago. He is forced out of retirement when he finds out there has been a hostile takeover of Knight Industries by the Olakin Corporation, a technology firm owned by Marc Ellin, South African tech billionaire and awkward genius. Ellin has plans to replace the entire banking system with his own digital currency, using his fleet of thousands of semi-sentient cars as a roving seemingly indestructible network spanning the entire globe. Michael teams up with his old pal Bonnie to acquire KITT, who is locked away in a  Knight Industries high security facility, before taking on the evil billionaire. But it's not only Michael who needs a huge update to modern life. KITT hasn't been touched in nearly 30 years. Can old-high-tech outwit new-high-tech and win back liberty? Featuring: KITT struggling to operate without internet access; Bonnie complaining about not being able to get the parts any more; scene where some kids comment about the "cool car!" to which Michael says "this was a really cool thing in the 80s but it's not what it used to be".

What I'll get: Fast And Furious-inspired comedy action with an emphasis on driving, straight-man AI car paired with someone like Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds, weak baddie with just enough evil to make him worth stopping, some nods towards the old show like the theme tune, cameo by Hasselhoff and the car making that swooshing sound, lines including "engage turbo boost, KITT!" And yet it never quite comes together, falls between satisfying all-out action and nostalgic nod to the past.

The thing with the original was self driving and bullet proof cars were so incredibly impossible, in a few years self driving cars will be almost standard and there is a company that mods high end cars with bullet proof (to a certain extent) windows etc. 

KITT needs to have something such as self healing nano particles, shape/ colour changing abilities to lose enemies, and the ability to jam/shout at white van men to get off their fucking phones when driving. 

Didn't the version that actually made it to TV about a decade ago for a season have the self-healing nano particle thing? It could also transform into various Ford vehicles. I think that shows KARR had a more Transformers style transformation into a military robot thing.

I think a lot of it was all right but of its time, trying to update any of these shows seems pointless. 

But then these days every TV show is obsessed with creating a universe, having a massive overarching story or designing plots that leave viewers unable to second guess, rather than making sense. 

On 08/08/2020 at 05:00, JohnC said:

Didn't the version that actually made it to TV about a decade ago for a season have the self-healing nano particle thing? It could also transform into various Ford vehicles. I think that shows KARR had a more Transformers style transformation into a military robot thing.

Yeah and it was pretty shite as well. Largely due to the fact that the car was a pig ugly mustag instead of something sleek like the original. 

9 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

I think a lot of it was all right but of its time, trying to update any of these shows seems pointless. 

I'm trying to think of any that are still watchable now.
The two original "V" Mini Series are great but that's my only example off the top of my head.
That's probably a topic for it's own thread.

15 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

But then these days every TV show is obsessed with creating a universe, having a massive overarching story or designing plots that leave viewers unable to second guess, rather than making sense. 

Not all TV shows, but it's almost universal in SciFi & Fantasy with a few exceptions. The Orville for example is doing a great job with a Monster Of The Week format.
Go into other genres and you still get plenty of procedural stuff which is fine for disposable TV.

Going a bit off-topic, but I know I could grab a random episode of Knight Rider and know I can just sit there for an hour and get an entertaining story out of it. I know I won't miss out on everything else, or spend the last 10 minutes of the episode pushing the main season arc forward a notch. It's the same with Star Trek TNG, a show I could watch again and again knowing I don't have to figure out where I am, just enjoy the story.

My worry with this film, apart from it being a pretty safe F&F knock-off, is that it will spawn a TV series that will doubtless make the massive mistakes of a) having a whole-season story arc and b) making Michael Knight the story rather than him coming into someone else's story every week. I've ranted about how that has ruined shows like Sherlock in the past. Let's just have a nice fun Knight Rider please.