Football Thread 2020/2021

5 hours ago, spork said:

Well that's a relief isn't it.

Edit. You're the one who changes who he supports every few seasons! Got it. :lol:

Ahhh! You're the guy who's believes Ole is a great manager, no? You probably think Aaron Wan-Bissaka is better than Trent A-A too. In fact you probably think that Bruno Fernandes is the best midfielder in the Premier league... You probably think that your players don't dive either. 

Cute. Enjoy your deluded life, mate.

1 hour ago, ManLikeColonel said:

Ahhh! You're the guy who's believes Ole is a great manager, no? You probably think Aaron Wan-Bissaka is better than Trent A-A too. In fact you probably think that Bruno Fernandes is the best midfielder in the Premier league... You probably think that your players don't dive either. 

Cute. Enjoy your deluded life, mate.

Don't think I've said any of those things, although I guess Bruno probably does have the stats to back up such a claim at least :lol:

Nice to see you posting outside of the Man Utd thread for once mind, considering you definitely don't support them, no sir! Which club have you decided to support this season anyway?

Mate :sherlock:

(Yeah I don't know how I ended up watching Busquets late at night)

Ronaldinho usually comes up as a player people love to watch more than anyone else, but in compilations for me not really tbh. It's the players who manipulate others who I love more, none of that bouncing and step overs, just the feints and coolness. 

I love the idea of a player who sits deep who has the same level of ball control as attacking players but chooses mostly to not share it. Like, 'I can pull something outrageous out but I don't need to, I'll just play simple passes as though I'm not a master when really I am'. I also love the idea Busquets wants to be pressed to make space for others. Gerrard said he'd just give up bothering because if you go he just passes it around you. 

Pretty much every moment of that video is brilliant to me, but my two faves are the most nonchalant ball roll I've ever seen on the edge of Busquets' box as the opposition just whack the ball against the Barcelona post and rush in hoping to get the rebound...it's poetry: 1:39. 

At 2:10 he does nothing more than a shimmy and the player goes flying. Who needs step overs to distract when you can manipulate with little ease like that. Best defensive midfielder to ever play the game. 

I love the futile attempts of two players to press him at 5:13. Protects, drags, pirourettes, doesn't lose the ball. At 4:51 he's pressed on the edge of his box from behind and turns and kicks the ball past the defender. All the best Barcelona midfielders from that 2009 era have a spidey sense of danger. When I watched Messi live in a friendly he was closed by a player behind and reacted like Jackie Chan would from an enemy in a film. That kind of speed and exaggeration. 

Wait. People will argue that Bruno* isn't over of the best midfielders on the league? Life hand him at Liverpool in an instant and am gutted he is at United.

He alone has turned them from mid take fodder to challengers. He makes everyone around him better. 

*Good mates innit.

13 hours ago, bradigor said:

Every single post game interview he does it. Praise himself, blame the players.

Look who he studied under.

It's very simple for me, the same post I made about Ole a few months ago when he wasn't permanent yet.

It's easy to manage through the honeymoon period, the key is how he manages a slump.

Ole clearly at least passed that test.  We'll see with Frank.

45 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Look who he studied under.

It's very simple for me, the same post I made about Ole a few months ago when he wasn't permanent yet.

It's easy to manage through the honeymoon period, the key is how he manages a slump.

Ole clearly at least passed that test.  We'll see with Frank.

Fair point.

I’m not going to go off on one about the officials even though they were a major reason for today’s result. But the main issue was despite spending 18 months screaming for some creative players who don’t get injured every five minutes, the board and manager refuse to spend the slightest bit of money. So we have three creative players in the squad, two are made of glass and one is a 21 year old who is absolutely knackered. All three were out today with the inevitable consequences.

No Premier League club should ever have a major component of their game plan being “Let’s hope the officials don’t fuck up.”

I've just seen the disallowed goal. That is fucking disgraceful officiating to give that as a foul on the keeper. He runs nearly the full length of the box and jumps into the back of Ben Mee. 

Is it any wonder the refereeing in the PL is always called into question. I'm fucking baffled at how that is a foul on the keeper. Are we now saying they can just launch themselves into anyone now.