Football Thread 2020/2021

I really enjoy watching Leeds, they play quite interesting football with lots of movement and interesting passing angles, they are though to use the brilliant phrase once used to describe Theo Walcott, all fart and no poo. Plus they can't defend.

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

I mean it took him two attempts to get Leeds promoted. Fair enough if he got Wycombe or Brentford promoted, but Leeds are a different beast altogether. Dean Smith got Villa up in 8 months. 

Beaten by Frank Lampard too, that should be something of a filter to put him out of the running. 

He took a bang average team who finished 15th to the verge of promotion in season 1, then won the league outright and didn't spend that much money. He made so many players so much better, I think that's his thing. The likes of Phillips and Klich were going nowhere but he's made then premier league standard. 

I think it is overblown somewhat given that he hasn't won much or stayed anywhere particularly long. The likes of Pep and Poch say he's influential but they don't use his tactics, man making all over the porch etc. No one does really. 

Leeds fans love him because he has given us hope for the first time in 16 years but that's probably as much down to the owners, as we're not run by clowns for a change. We didn't over spend to go up and we played some beautiful football on the way. 

does anybody ever think now 'oh good it's Wolves' playing when sitting down to watch a game ? first season they came up they were interesting as a new team but I found them pretty tedious to watch most of last season, and nothing much changed this season from what I've seen.

for avoidance of doubt I don't think 'oh good its Arsenal' either at the moment 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Mike Dean with a laughably ben- incompetent display thus far in the Wolves Villa match. Every fouls a card if aren't wearing old gold.

There's not a chance in hell it ends with 11 Villa men on the pitch.

Yep.

45 minutes ago, Gotters said:

does anybody ever think now 'oh good it's Wolves' playing when sitting down to watch a game ? first season they came up they were interesting as a new team but I found them pretty tedious to watch most of last season, and nothing much changed this season from what I've seen.

for avoidance of doubt I don't think 'oh good its Arsenal' either at the moment 

They are just really Portuguese, so when it’s a good Wolves game, then it is amazing, but the standard match is just a bit bloodless and bland. I watched a lot of Portuguese domestic matches during the lockdown, and out of probably 50 games there were two good ones. Like only two that were in any way watchable. Both of them were Benfica losing, to Santa Clara and I forget the other. Portuguese football is the fake meat burger of football, it’s technically football, but not really.

4 hours ago, Hamus said:

Oof. Rashford fell down there like a hungry kid.

...you're are actually going to compare somebody to..."a hungry kid"...you sir, are a fucking prick

no, no "bants" does not cut it, you are a prick, fuck off.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:24, the_debaser said:

I mean it took him two attempts to get Leeds promoted. Fair enough if he got Wycombe or Brentford promoted, but Leeds are a different beast altogether. Dean Smith got Villa up in 8 months. 

This is such a "I've not actually watched a Championship game" view of things it's remarkable. As much as Leeds are a little all over the place in the Premier League, what you're looking at is a team of sub mid table Championship players that were coached well enough to absolutely smash through that league and look fairly convincing for quite a lot of their games at the top level. I'm not saying Bielsa is the most impressive coach in the world but Leeds looked like a completely different team a few weeks into his run and that's all down to coaching. If he'd done it at a club like Fulham, where we're happy just to spend money to get a team custom built to win the championship then it'd be a lot less impressive but he's actually made Patrick Bamford look like a Premier League striker at times and that deserves a fair amount of respect.