Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Falling into the third pot of seeds hasn't harmed Ireland's chances at reaching the World Cup playoffs next year, as they've been drawn against Portugal, Serbia, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. It ought to be a straight fight between the Serbs from pot 2 and Ireland, if they can work out how to score or somehow annex Norway to claim Haaland as their own.

FFS - Milwall players won’t take the knee tomorrow but will link as with QPR and display anti-racism Banner and have Kick it Out on their shirts.

Which is fine and probably won’t get booed, but now Milwall fans ‘win’ by not only getting the knee stopped, but they can make out they aren’t racist by being quiet for something else for 30 seconds and all the right wing pundits can scream more shit and prove they were right about it being Marxist/defund the police and not racist.

I hope the players swerve and all go down on a knee in the middle of it.

On 07/12/2020 at 17:43, Fry Crayola said:

Falling into the third pot of seeds hasn't harmed Ireland's chances at reaching the World Cup playoffs next year, as they've been drawn against Portugal, Serbia, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. It ought to be a straight fight between the Serbs from pot 2 and Ireland, if they can work out how to score or somehow annex Norway to claim Haaland as their own.

And now Qatar has joined the group! As hosts, they're not playing for points, and the games will be treated as friendlies. Apparently they'll be basing themselves in Europe, so the other teams won't have to go to Doha.

10 hours ago, elmo said:

I wanted to put my thoughts down somewhere. This seems like a good place to start.

The MSC are a joke. They don't represent the fans. I mean who can? Seeing that statement wound me right up. Don't speak for me, you don't know me. They represent fuck all.

To say that the past few days have hurt is an understatement.

Growing up as a Millwall fan I always worried about revealing who I supported. Because I'd usually get called a racist. It killed me because I'm not. I went to games week in week out, home and away and I very rarely heard any racism. If I did it was usually called out and the 'fan' was removed or confronted by others. So I was always gutted to get the usual label of being a racist the moment I mentioned Millwall.

I'm proud of the club. All they stand for as a club itself (not the fans that attend). As mentioned in many of these articles, they do more than most to fight this sort of bullshit. They're incredible in the local community. I feel for the staff because all of their hard work is being destroyed.

What hurts the most is that my 6yo son who has been going to games since he was 3 had to hear a news report on the radio about all of this and I had to explain it to him. I can't take him if this is still going on after the ground properly opens up. And why? Not because of the club, not because of the players but because of the fans. It also killed me to read Mahlon Romeo's comments. He's been at the club since 2015. My son sings his name all the time. Idolises him. Yet he's been let down in the worst of ways.

The worst thing about all this? I could see it coming. For a while now the social media bubble of Millwall fans have been getting progressively loud about right wing politics. Millwall fans have always felt like outsiders and some fans have been leaning hard into that. This sort of thing was coming.

I'm worried about tonight's game with QPR. I really am. But I'm also optimistic. The club plan to do a huge presentation for Kick it Out before the game starts. Let's see if all these claims of protesting a 'political movement' ring true. Because if you're booing kick it out then you can't hide behind that excuse anymore.

I feel for you.

I’d have been fairly certain that if Cardiff has played in front of fans at the weekend then there would have been very few boos if any, but reading our more arsehole dwelling message board then I’m not so sure how many of the fans on there would be in that hypothetical 2,000 fans booing.

Despite our bad hooligan reputation in the 90s and early 00s - there has never been any sort of racist element (unless you count being anti English).

If I’d been at a Cardiff game that mirrored Millwalls then I’d have walked out especially if my 10 year old was with me. If there had been a few boos, but then the supporters club tried to justify it or the club didn’t fully denounce it (as Colchester have) then I’m not sure I’d have gone back.

I hope tonight goes off without incident, but if this leads to the end of the knee everywhere then a group of racists will have won and the nonsense about BLM being a Marxist, centotaph disrespecting hate group will end up being legitimised.

The worst thing that will happen, and maybe it will be tonight or in a month or when crowds are back in bigger numbers, is that a black player is going to score and take the knee afterwards in front of opposition fans. And it will all kick off and the player will get crucified in the media for doing so. 

40 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I’m not linking it, but Farage has declared BLM dead because Milwall players didn’t kneel.

he’s aware that many teams QPR included have decided not to do it before tonight right?

not sure about ‘the racists won’ stuff. The players linked arms in front of an equality banner. Were applauded. Romeo raised the black power fist, and was applauded.

I think that’s about as good as an outcome as I could have hoped for tonight.

They have won though. We’ve had these meaningless ‘official’ campaigns before. They’ve changed very little. They are tolerated by a lot of people who disagree with them precisely because they are controlled and neutered. Along comes a protest that originated with the people being discriminated against and suddenly it can’t easily be controlled and they feel threatened and use the nonsense Marxist claptrap excuse beloved of the far right on Twitter everywhere.  By backing down Millwall have let the racists win. 

The racists haven't won. 
This is a step backwards for sure. It's disappointing at best and as a Millwall fan, heartbreaking at worst.
But the racists have not won because us who support BLM haven't given up. And I mean all of us, all fans of all teams, and all people who continue to fight for and support tolerance, equal opportunities and and end to racism.

A large section of the Millwall crowd tonight applauded QPR taking the knee. Hopefully our crowd will continue to do so -  I can promise I will as soon as I'm back at games.

And as long as that is the prevailing action taken by fans of other teams up and down the country, we will win and the racists won't.

22 hours ago, ryodi said:

What a ridiculous decision, if you’re going to get booked for something like that you should get down on your knees and head it over the line for maximum effect.

Lee Ray did this when I played for Taverham ‘86 in the Sunday league cup final, we were (I think) 4-0 down and he went past most of the team rounded the keeper and kneeled down to head the ball in - he didn’t get booked! My dad did, and fined, for offering the linesman an opticians card for a poor decision over a corner....

Had Lee Ray not found women’s smoking and alcohol in early teen years I’m sure he would have made it as a footballer - much better player than Chris Sutton was at the same age...

Video unavailable here in the UK.  

I've been reading the /r/soccer thread on Reddit about the incident, and for all it's faults one thing Reddit does offer is a genuinely international audience.  The officials in the game were Romanian and the Romanian word for "black" is "negru" which obviously had a ton of negative connotations in the culturally dominant Anglosphere.  From what I can gather is that the official was singling out Ba for something or another, basically said "the black guy over there" in Romanian and Ba heard a word which is hugely offensive to English speakers, this seemed to spark the initial anger and when it became clear that Ba had misinterpreted the word he was still annoyed that he'd been singled out by his race.   It's a huge mess but (thankfully?) it doesn't appear to be the overt racism that was being implied when the first reports were coming through. 

I don't know what to make of it at all, clearly it's unprofessional as you'd hope that the officials would be able to identify players by their name or shirt number but I suspect a lot of people wouldn't have been bothered by the comment if they'd not been enraged by thinking they'd heard a massive insult a few moments earlier.  It's not a million miles from the Cavani incident on Instagram a few weeks ago I guess, there's clearly an issue with the Anglo/English adoption of the Latin word for black and how do you make that go away when you have Romance language speakers mixing with English speakers so regularly? 

Literally no need to refer to him by his colour. How is it relevant? As Demba Ba very calmly put to him, he wouldn't have said "that white guy over there". It's stuff like this that happens day in day out and unless it's called out like today, it will never change. Well done to both clubs for making a stand. Let's see if UEFA do...

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

The officials in the game were Romanian and the Romanian word for "black" is "negru" which obviously had a ton of negative connotations in the culturally dominant Anglosphere

Ah, “the Suarez defence”.

Romania isn’t some culturally ignorant backwater filled with hicks who’ve never met black people. They know what’s racist and why.

But the Romanian word for black is literally “negru” which is what appears to have upset Ba so much in the first place and things escalated from there.  If the context you hear something is important then the context Ba has been told that the 4th official has referred to him as the black fella is critical into figuring out what went so badly wrong here.  I’m not saying that the guy didn’t fuck up, he clearly did or the game wouldn’t have been abandoned but there’s clearly room for nuance here and 

15 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Ah, “the Suarez defence”.

Romania isn’t some culturally ignorant backwater filled with hicks who’ve never met black people. They know what’s racist and why.

isn’t going to help anything move forwards. It will enable a pile on to someone who may not deserve it. It will certainly entrench a section of society who believe that political correctness and cancel culture are liberal bullshit deeper into that position, and make the 4th official into some kind of unwitting martyr for the sort of fucks who boo players taking the knee before games whether he likes it or not.  This is a huge incident and learning the right lessons from it is hugely important.