Football Thread 2020/2021

The problem with any VAR hypothesis which starts with 'its there for the obvious errors' is instantly flawed as football fans and seemingly officials have no set idea about what constitutes obvious - one mans egregious dive is anothers shocking tackle.

Time to get rid of offside altogether and just have a free for all.

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

The problem with any VAR hypothesis which starts with 'its there for the obvious errors' is instantly flawed as football fans and seemingly officials have no set idea about what constitutes obvious - one mans egregious dive is anothers shocking tackle.

Time to get rid of offside altogether and just have a free for all.

I would pay money for this, just to see Pep having to sign Ashley Barnes for £50m.

So thought experiment - what would football without offside look like - at school we always just shouted about 'goal hangers' all the time.

I guess the game would be a lot more stretched as the concept of defensive lines would be out the window totally so none of this pressing endlessly so the game takes place in the middle third malarky. 

Would tank strikers become more highly prized, like Akinfenwa, as they wouldn't need speed to get past the line with a well timed run.

I don't like the sound of it but would like to see a few games to see what actually happened.

Guess you’d get numerical variations of a player goal-hanging and being man-marked. How many players teams choose to commit to either at any time would be the fun part.

Could also see the return of tall target players, and a lot more direct balls into the box. Imagine a few CBs would become forwards depending on who had possession.

I’d love to see a game unfold just for the sheer novelty.

Would box to box fitness become more of a thing with lots of hoof ball and players expected to overload the opposition goal but at the same time be able to make lung busting runs back, its almost like Big Sam or Tony Pulis' wet football dreams.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Post brexit rules.

Don't know how accurate this is, but if true, that's us fucked.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Looks like it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/01/work-permits-for-eu-players-and-no-under-18-signings-in-post-brexit-regulations

The Football Association has announced a radical post-Brexit shake-up that will mean Premier League and EFL clubs cannot sign foreign players until they are 18, with all transfers from European Union nations set to be subject to work permits that will be allocated using a points-based system in a radical shake-up.

In a controversial move that could have seismic effects on the recent dominance of English clubs over their European rivals, a joint statement from the FA, Premier League and EFL on Tuesday confirmed that the new system, which will come into force when the UK’s transition period after leaving the EU ends on 31 December and has been approved by the Home Office, will also see Premier League clubs limited to signing no more than three players under the age of 21 in any single transfer window and a total of no more than six per season.

Designed to help encourage clubs to produce more homegrown talent, the Football’s Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) plan was submitted to the government last month by the FA and will come into effect from 1 January in time for the next transfer window

That's definitely what's going to happen, not a regression as UK sides become less competitive in Europe because they are unable to sign young talent from across Europe. Back to the 80s this time. 

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Aren't there historical examples of the game without offside? Aren't old formations of loads of attackers before the advent of offside.

Offside has always been a part of the game since the initial codifiying of proper rules - clubs may have had their own rules without an offside before this, but it wouldn't have been a widespread situation. The FA initially had offside in the same format as modern rugby - you're offside if you're in front of the ball. Gradually this required three opponents between the player and the goal line, before becoming the two we know today.

Attacking formations such as the 2-3-5 and WM would have persisted long after the two defender change was brought in during the 20s, when offside in some form had been around for at least 60 years.

Has anybody else whose team isn't playing totally given up on the Champions League this season - its not about Arsenal not being present, I used to love the goals show on BT Sport, floodlight football in great packed grounds with excited fans - but there is something about European football in empty grounds that renders it worthless for me to watch and I haven't seen any of it so far, don't even know the results from last night.

Sure I'll dip back in after xmas when it gets to KO but at the moment it's not registering at all for me.

fuckingel, these new "rules" are...well...a shit show!

They massively favour large clubs that can buy international players, or players from "top" leagues, and, are quite frankly, discriminatory to players from "lesser" leagues.

If the next Earling Haalad was discovered in Norway, an English club couldn't sign him, as his league isn't good enough to warrant the points! It is literally discriminating against people based on were they are from!...i mean what should one expect from Prattel...

It would also have stopped Utd siging Ole as manager!?!

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

at the bottom of the page is the guide for clubs with the actual points system in it!

Irish citizens still bypass all the EU work rules, right?

If so, I fully endorse these rules. Not only might we get more players playing in Premiership, we inflict more Irish footballers to watch on the English as a punishment for Brexit.

If only that was an option before. Even Farage would have cracked in half a season. 

On 01/12/2020 at 17:38, Naysonymous said:

Villa - Newcastle called off because Newcastle have an outbreak of COVID in their squad.  

Was it Middlesbrough years ago that were forced to forfeit a game due to illness in their squad?

:ph34r:

Yes, famously so. It was the Ravanelli season and the points deduction imposed actually relegated them (saving Coventry City) too.  

I think the difference there was that they just didn't turn up to a game because Bryan Robson said his squad had diarrhea  or something. 

Yeah, I was obviously watching the other match but the BBC comment "Fred should be off, just not for what he was sent off for" coming 20 minutes after "Fred's scoring or getting sent off" rather summed that one up I guess.