Football Thread 2020/2021

Luiz being allowed to carry on is proof the concussion protocols are worthless. He’s going to spent the rest of the game heading the ball and potential have another clash of heads after already picking up a head injury, it’s ridiculous,

46 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Papa Bouba Diop has died age 42. Played for Fulham, West Ham and most memorably Senegal, for whom he scored the winner in their first ever World Cup Finals match against the then champions (and former colonial overlords) France.

I'm really sad about this. He was my brother's first favourite player just when he was getting into football. I got into the game quite late despite going to Fulham constantly throughout my childhood, but where my younger years was full of chat about Cloud, Heihachi and Crash Bandicoot, all my bro talked about was Big Papa. He was an absolute unit, everything a team like Fulham needed in midfield back then. He also scored this goal against that team. I was born and raised in London in the 90's so obviously all of my mates were United fans so stuff like this meant everything. 

RIP Wardrobe. Absolute legend.  

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Luiz being allowed to carry on is proof the concussion protocols are worthless. He’s going to spent the rest of the game heading the ball and potential have another clash of heads after already picking up a head injury, it’s ridiculous,

NBC spent the entire half time ranting about this, they're right.

I think that's a little unfair as Arsenal did test out his cognitive abilities every so often when they had him stand over ever last dead-ball situation that came up in the first half. Also, he wasn't heading the ball as his fodd was bleeding pretty badly so he apparently wasn't able to. That we took him off at half time just after he'd given an interview to a coat stand without his clothes on is irrelevant. 

Really hope he's OK, fractured skull is one of things that sets off 'oh shit' thoughts - I know his career is secondary after that but hope it doesn't impact his ability to play, even if he gets the physical OK its the sort of injury that may mess with his mentality and damage his effectiveness. Hope not. 

Obviously, every injury is different, but it was a fractured skull that prompted Petr Cech to start wearing that helmet thing when he played.  I wonder what would be the ruling if an outfield player needed one of them.  If they can help prevent concussions, perhaps they should all be wearing them.  Obviously it would be very strange due to heading being such a huge part of the game, but we need to start considering this sort of thing.  It's not just incidents like this, but the general wear and tear of heading the ball that is an issue. 

Hopefully Gimenez can make a full recovery, and hopefully football can take a look at itself.  There's no way Luiz should have been allowed to carry on.  The concussion protocols in football seem to be pretty inadequate.

17 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Obviously, every injury is different, but it was a fractured skull that prompted Petr Cech to start wearing that helmet thing when he played.  I wonder what would be the ruling if an outfield player needed one of them.  If they can help prevent concussions, perhaps they should all be wearing them.  Obviously it would be very strange due to heading being such a huge part of the game, but we need to start considering this sort of thing.  It's not just incidents like this, but the general wear and tear of heading the ball that is an issue. 

Hopefully Gimenez can make a full recovery, and hopefully football can take a look at itself.  There's no way Luiz should have been allowed to carry on.  The concussion protocols in football seem to be pretty inadequate.

I can see protective headgear being developed to work with football and then grandfathered in. See the way, helmets for players and then visors were grandfathered in for Ice Hockey. Hell they even started to mandate all players had to wear a helmet during warmups something accelerated after Taylor Hall's injury in 2012. 

I especially want to see all kids wearing headgear NOW. As they won't stop trying to head a ball during games. One of the reasons I have my team play with the ball on the ground as much as possible. So we can minimise the amount they head the ball.

This is kind of unbelievable. Messi I think deliberately tries to recreate Maradona's first goal for Newells Old Boys as a tribute. Messi lifts up his shirt to reveal the Maradona no.10 Newells kit he wore at the time. Messi very rarely shoots back across the keeper, with the power needed to do it. 4th goal on 70th minute, I don't think it's a coincidence.