Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Klopp is coming across as a right prick at the moment. 

I hope it is a tactical approach to deflect from...something else. He's gone from being honest and positive to pettulent and argumentative. The issues around subs and schedules are important but what the focus at the post match interview should be the players and putting them in the correct mental state for whatever they have to face.

Klopp is coming across as Mourinho does from time to time in trying to become the story to deflect from other matters.

His point is perfectly valid, but as was pointed out by a journo yesterday BT Sport are paying £9.8m PER MATCH for the Saturday 1230 KOs - if you want to make that package of games ineligible for the teams in the CL see what the price is next time it comes up for auction. Picking on the broadcaster is the wrong target, its the PL and clubs themselves to blame.

The quickest and easiest fix for this is 5 subs, I know the smaller teams don't like it but squad rotation is already there as n option for the bigger teams with a deeper roster - there are far too many muscle strain injuries at present and too many games being played, at least additional subs lets players come off before being red-zoned or just play the last half hour, xmas is going to kill the players at this rate unless the managers see some sense too and start resting them. 

The other option is to not send your team out to charge around in such a high-energy style. I know it's a bit much to expect teams to change their style, but don't you play the situation as it is, rather than refusing to change and moaning about the consequences?

I don't particularly disagree with any of what he says on the surface, apart from his claim that Liverpool have had it harder than anyone else - Everton have had more 12.30 kick offs, and Man Utd the same number. Solskjaer has complained about the same issue of the 12.30 kick off after a European game.  He's right that Chris Wilder is being "selfish" although that's a poor choice of word (forgiven as he is speaking in a second language, of course.) Wilder is looking out for his own team's interests, as is Klopp of course. Klopp may claim he's only thinking of the players' welfare, and Wilder may claim he's trying to maintain the integrity and fairness of the league, but that's all bullshit.

Injuries are happening though, so maybe there is a welfare issue that needs to be taken seriously. I wonder if there's more to it than appears on the surface. I remember reading an article towards the end of last season predicting that Liverpool would struggle this season, particularly with injuries, if they tried to maintain the same level of intensity. The article (which I can't find now, sorry) heavily implied that they would be "cycling off" their "sports suppliments" which would lead to more muscle injuries. This isn't necessarily illegal PEDs, but apparently the murky water of caffeine suppliments and the like. Obviously I have no idea if this is in any way true, but I'm certainly going to bring it up when Klopp is having a strop to make him look even worse. Hey, at least I'm vaguely self-aware.

Edit - I found the article.

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

Gotters... that's one hell of a meandering comment man.

But no, 5 subs can fuck right off.

Klopp played Fabinho at CB. 

If Milner's injury was down to gametime as he is claiming, it's his responsibility to rest Milner and play the £39m midfielder Fabinho in midfield.

On the bench Liverpool had CB Rhys Williams, who has previously been part of a defence that kept a clean sheet in the Champion League against Atalanta - Serie A's top scorers last season.

Williams is an England u21 international, but like many promising players coming through the youth ranks, there's concerns his lack of first team game time is limiting his development.

So, Klopp can take a 'risk', and play a probable future England Centre back against fucking Brighton.

33 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Gotters... that's one hell of a meandering comment man.

what's meandering about it - think we're kind of agreeing apart from 5 subs but its a multi faceted issue.

I agree that managers do have responsibility here to nurse their teams thru this, but there isn't one villain here, the whole of football is conspiring to shoot itself in the foot and harm the welfare of players - not just TV, its the governing bodies in UEFA/FIFA, the leagues, then the teams themselves. Nobody wants to give up any games or precious TV money so is squeezing and squeezing until the product itself goes bang and the actual players are broken. 

Asking teams to alter their tactics and play a different way is something they've all had to do occasionally from time to time as injuries and fatigue catch up with them, it just seems wrong to hamstring the whole game on an ongoing basis and basically turn every game into testimonial or pre season pace, just with 3 points at stake.

To that end if they won't give anything up then 5 subs seems an obvious way to me to alleviate some of that short term pressure, but again agree the managers could achieve some of this themselves by just not playing everybody every game.

On 606 they listed the subs klopp has made, and, in a few games this season he hasn't even used all 3. Plus a lot of them are just the standard time wasting subs post 80+ mins. I dislike 5 subs as it definitely favours the big teams. 

Also the main injury suffered by a Liverpool player was just the result of a stupid tackle which could happen at any time. 

It’s the constant complaining too, moaning about subs, moaning about VAR, moaning about fixture congestion. 

Didn’t seem to bother them when they narrowly beat us last season with VAR help on very tight calls after we played City then Liverpool in two days. 

and that’s fine in a way, but don’t then pretend you’re acting in the best interests of the whole league. 

On top of that, it’s getting coverage from the media because it’s Liverpool, during which time he’s complaining about the media when they get more benefit from it than most. 

Completely hypocritical. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

what's meandering about it - think we're kind of agreeing apart from 5 subs but its a multi faceted issue.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

His point is perfectly valid...[snip] Picking on the broadcaster is the wrong target, its the PL and clubs themselves to blame.

The quickest and easiest fix for this is 5 subs [snip] xmas is going to kill the players at this rate unless the managers see some sense too and start resting them. 

Klopp's point is valid, except it's not.

Change the rules, no it's the managers who should rest players.

You can see how it's tricky to follow.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Injuries are happening though, so maybe there is a welfare issue that needs to be taken seriously. I wonder if there's more to it than appears on the surface. I remember reading an article towards the end of last season predicting that Liverpool would struggle this season, particularly with injuries, if they tried to maintain the same level of intensity. The article (which I can't find now, sorry) heavily implied that they would be "cycling off" their "sports suppliments" which would lead to more muscle injuries. This isn't necessarily illegal PEDs, but apparently the murky water of caffeine suppliments and the like. Obviously I have no idea if this is in any way true, but I'm certainly going to bring it up when Klopp is having a strop to make him look even worse. Hey, at least I'm vaguely self-aware.

Edit - I found the article.

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

I read that article in the summer. It’s really bizarre and has 0 references for any of the claims made. It’s also really poorly written. Feels like a bit like a click bait fan fic wank fantasy for rival fans who hate Liverpool.

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Oh, that's lovely.  Could have smashed it but went for placement.

Some good goalkeeping at both ends as well.

Their keeper was on loan to us last season. He's a West Brom player. He was the reason we were promoted last year. It was a really entertaining game.

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

Klopp's point is valid, except it's not.

Change the rules, no it's the managers who should rest players.

You can see how it's tricky to follow.

if you can only attribute or blame one thing then yes it'll be tricky for you to get your head round.

Klopp can have a point, but maybe should look closer to home before blaming others, but when do football folks ever do that. 

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

First time they’ve lost 4 home games since the 50’s according to BBC Radio Scotland! Historic season right enough :blah:

Does this mean Gerrard might finally win himself a league title?

8 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Wait! I thought players who played in midweek European games were too tired to come back from 2-0 in the following Premier League game?

They were also hindered by only being able to bring one match winning superstar on from the bench. 

But will Chris Wilder listen? Will he fuck!

Great game.