Football Thread 2020/2021

10 minutes into the 2nd half.

2-0 to Argentina. 5 minutes separate the two goals. 

In context, it's pretty fascinating. We really did hack the shit out if him in the first half, and twice catch him off the ball. 
The ball-punch is an act of defiance, a reply of sheer petulance. He is almost saying 'if you guys are gonna cheat, so am I'.

But once he's done that, he needs to prove he is above it all, so just waltzes through us.

Steve Hodge has a shocker for both goals. We're dreadful. We still haven't had a shot on target yet.

Palace will have 2,000 tickets available for the game against Spurs to distribute amongst the 12,000 (of 20,000) season ticket holders who renewed.

After that fucking awful show against a dreadful Newcastle team (performance) they'll struggle to get more than 500 interested.

Can't wait for Hoddgson's customary bland post game analysis "I thought we were unlucky..." funny how unlucky we've been for the last 3 years Roy.

Yeah that one is dodgy.  But you can't really complain about 1 decision in a game you should have won by 2.  It's like that Frank Lampard goal that ended up forcing goal line technology.  Doesn't change England lost that match by 3.

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

yeah I thought both offsides were fine - the only reason though that was for me was because of who is playing, that isn't a pen in my book otherwise.

God you're pathetic. Its not a pen, its a ridiculous decision.

Also @Dudley if we'd have conceded a late goal due to a well played piece of football by Brighton, then fine, but thats not what happened. They've been gifted a penalty that is never a penalty.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Maybe don't score offside goals? It's not like the silly offside rules are a secret.

Yeah but I don't think it's in the spirit of the original rule that the video official has to spend a minute pixel hunting for any video compression artifact that might be in front of the other compression artifact.

If you're getting that granular then there's no advantage, so it's not offside.

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

God you're pathetic. Its not a pen, its a ridiculous decision.

I agree its ridiculous, thats what makes it funny and why I'm quite happy to see it given in the circumstances.

I don't believe TV get given the highest resolution images for the offside VAR calls, which makes people get irate about the quality.

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah that one is dodgy.  But you can't really complain about 1 decision in a game you should have won by 2.  It's like that Frank Lampard goal that ended up forcing goal line technology.  Doesn't change England lost that match by 3.

That Lampard 'goal' would have made the game 2-2 and could have completely changed the momentum of the game, so I don't see how this is relevant.

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah that one is dodgy.  But you can't really complain about 1 decision in a game you should have won by 2. 

That's a bit disrespectful of Brighton.  Why should we have won by two? If anything they should have been ahead with the early chance for Connolly and their first penalty. 

21 hours ago, glb said:

Even if the turnarounds don’t have an immediate impact, there’s also games on 2nd January, and then the FA Cup 3rd round. RIP hamstrings.

Wolves’, and a few others, actual recovery is less than 48 hours too. Taking into account they’ll finish on the 27th at 9pm (more like 10pm by the time they warm down and leave the ground)

It's even worse when you consider the travel for away games too.

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah but I don't think it's in the spirit of the original rule that the video official has to spend a minute pixel hunting for any video compression artifact that might be in front of the other compression artifact.

If you're getting that granular then there's no advantage, so it's not offside.

It's not and we can windmill about that all we like.

But they've confirmed it's what they're doing and so it's just what's gonna happen.  Either leave clear air so it doesn't or accept you're gonna lose a few, it's not VAR's fault they're doing exactly what an idiot told them to do.

22 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Outscored 24-1 on our last five trips there.

Ouch. Didn’t expect Burnley to get much given the gulf in resources between the two. Hopefully the sequence will end next season.

Bromley 1- 1 Wrexham

Oh and...

:omg:

EDIT

Sorry this was meant for the other football thread, but fuck it. Peter Moore is going to be working in an unpaid advisory role at Wrexham. He's been rumoured to have been involved in this ages ago. He's from the Wrexham area, played for my village team, watched us loads in the 70s, and possibly could have been a factor in why they wanted to buy us.