Jump to content

Football Thread 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

The 86 World Cup was the first tournament I can remember. I was 10 and football was my favourite thing to do, watch and think about. I saw Liverpool in Europe on TV.  I remember some of the ITV coverage and the FA Cup final and I started going to watch Plymouth Argyle. I have my first programme framed on my wall. Home to Blackpool 1986. We won 3-2.

I only knew English football. Nobody was like Maradonna. To see what this little man could do on the ball was mesmerising. He didn't play like anyone else. The second goal against England, he walked through an entire midfield of very good players. He broke my heart with that goal. How could England beat him? They couldn't. 

John Barnes scored against Brazil in similar fashion but Maradonna did it consistently.

A true great, a personality, an icon. 

There were good players in that Argentina team but he was the best in the World by a massive margin. 

RIP you crazy bastard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those old world cups also had the benefits of the teams all being so mysterious, I started with 78 but 82, 86 and even 90 made all these other countries and players seem like they came from another planet. The teams often had quite different nationalistic tactics, not all playing this identikit homogenised version of the game they do now.

 

There wasn't even blanket live coverage of the English 1st Division (not the championship kids, look up what the world was like before Sky invented top flight football) so it's impossible to imagine if you missed these times quite how magical as a young football these World Cups, and players like Maradonna, Valderama  etc were.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but write about a famous picture, one that is so ironic in its misinterpretation that it accidentally captures one of the most contradictory human beings ever to have lived.  A sporting photograph that becomes interpretable as art because it evokes an emotional response about football that is above blindly cheering on your team.  A moment captured not just of a man single-handedly destroying the opposition, but doing so in a World Cup semi-final, except this was one of the very few moments where he wasn't doing that.  About how the photo shows not only the genius behind the footballer Diego Maradona, but also the story behind the photo is part of the story behind the person Diego Maradona.

 

For once we could talk about how football and footballers can you make you feel, instead of rehashing the VAR /Big Club discussion for the thousandth time.

 

Or you know, someone could just post some snark because they're just so FUCKING EDGY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Those old world cups also had the benefits of the teams all being so mysterious, I started with 78 but 82, 86 and even 90 made all these other countries and players seem like they came from another planet. The teams often had quite different nationalistic tactics, not all playing this identikit homogenised version of the game they do now.

 

I'd heard about the Uruguayans being a bunch of hatchet men, but seeing them go to work on Scotland in 1986 was a real eye-opener.  I think that one Scotland player got flattened off the ball at kickoff.  My first World Cup that I remember was 1982 and the Brazilians truly seemed to come from another planet.  I was 8 years old.  I didn't know what a cool motherfucker was, but I did know that Socrates was it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gotters said:

There wasn't even blanket live coverage of the English 1st Division (not the championship kids, look up what the world was like before Sky invented top flight football) so it's impossible to imagine if you missed these times quite how magical as a young football these World Cups, and players like Maradonna, Valderama  etc were.

 

Those were the days, back when you'd get some games on BBC, some on ITV on a Sunday lunchtime. Outside of that you'd watch the 9 o'clock news on a Saturday to hope to see some goals (too young to stay up for Match of the Day) and Sportsnight during the week to see some actual highlights (which would include European games, where teams all the foreign teams seem liked giants of the football world).

 

Nice memories.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also those were the days when you'd get blackouts when ITV would baulk at paying the league x amount for whatever game.  And also when there was no "international week" so teams would regularly play with missing players who were on international duty.  I think some of this was the impetus for The FA to take the top division, create a whole new "league" (division, really but still), have Sky Sports pay silly xxx amount of money (which solved the "blackout" issues), and also introduce international breaks so teams didn't lose international players.

 

EDIT:

Also Peter Shilton is still a bitter gammon:
 

It was his fault the ball went in in the first place!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Also those were the days when you'd get blackouts when ITV would baulk at paying the league x amount for whatever game.  And also when there was no "international week" so teams would regularly play with missing players who were on international duty.  I think some of this was the impetus for The FA to take the top division, create a whole new "league" (division, really but still), have Sky Sports pay silly xxx amount of money (which solved the "blackout" issues), and also introduce international breaks so teams didn't lose international players.

 

EDIT:

Also Peter Shilton is still a bitter gammon:
 

It was his fault the ball went in in the first place!

 

Just look at that prodigious leap from Shilts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been fucked over again at Christmas. Last year it was City then Liverpool in 48 hours, this year it’s Spurs then United in less than 48 hours. 
 

United will have 30 hours more rest (and one more penalty) than Wolves. 
 

I know it’s a weird season but that doesn’t really seem too fair. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

We’ve been fucked over again at Christmas. Last year it was City then Liverpool in 48 hours, this year it’s Spurs then United in less than 48 hours. 
 

United will have 30 hours more rest (and one more penalty) than Wolves. 
 

I know it’s a weird season but that doesn’t really seem too fair. 

 

That's horseshit*, especially as the Man United game could be bumped one day later to the 30th. The margins for recovery are so slim this season, and that scheduling lacks any common sense whatsoever.

 

*the fixtures, not your post!

Link to post
Share on other sites

of course I can remember the searing injustice of The Hand of God goal - this stuff though hasn't stuck in the memory quite as much.

 

they should show Peter Shilton this every time in the next week he's turning up for his £100 appearance to slag Maradona off.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure it's particularly an untold story, was much more part of the game back then. Watched the Hand of God documentary on ITV last night which is worth a look. Talking heads and group of five or six of the England team discussing 86. It's interesting to see who's still bitter and who isn't, Linekar comes across thoroughly decent. Made me laugh as Terry Butcher had to go for a drugs test and Maradonna was in there, he said he indicated to him "hand or head" Maradonna touched his hand which Butcher said was good cos he'd have knocked his block off if he'd lied. :D 

 

Anyway on that doc part of their game plan (as players) was to kick him off the ball... they weren't shy in recalling it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glb said:

 

That's horseshit*, especially as the Man United game could be bumped one day later to the 30th. The margins for recovery are so slim this season, and that scheduling lacks any common sense whatsoever.

 

*the fixtures, not your post!

I thought we had it worst, we actually have just over 48 hours rest where as four teams have exactly that. 
 

Really not fair, Liverpool and United have decent rests i think, Fulham have the best break. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gotters said:

of course I can remember the searing injustice of The Hand of God goal - this stuff though hasn't stuck in the memory quite as much.

 

they should show Peter Shilton this every time in the next week he's turning up for his £100 appearance to slag Maradona off.

 

 

 

That's proper defending in the old days. I miss putting my boots on and putting a reducer on the opposition to see how they'd react.

 

Maradonna reacted by destroying our midfield. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I thought we had it worst, we actually have just over 48 hours rest where as four teams have exactly that. 
 

Really not fair, Liverpool and United have decent rests i think, Fulham have the best break. 
 

 


Even if the turnarounds don’t have an immediate impact, there’s also games on 2nd January, and then the FA Cup 3rd round. RIP hamstrings.

 

Wolves’, and a few others, actual recovery is less than 48 hours too. Taking into account they’ll finish on the 27th at 9pm (more like 10pm by the time they warm down and leave the ground)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.