Football Thread 2020/2021

Edit:  Youtube video aken down already.  Klopp had a go at the broadcasters yesterday in his interview for picking about with the fixtures.  Sky didn't broadcast it obviously, but it was shown abroad.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 10.31.12 am.png

“Sky and BT have to talk because if we keep playing on Wednesday and Saturday [at] 12:30, I'm not sure if we will finish the season with 11 players.

“I know you [the broadcasters] don't care and that's the problem. We've discussed it for a long time and nothing's happened.

“I don't talk about Liverpool, I talk about all the football players out there. Yesterday, [Gerard] Pique, massive knee injury. Today, [Bukayo] Saka, maybe, I'm not sure, a knee injury - he played all three games for England during the international break.

“Now people tell us to rotate players but who? We have some offensive players but the rest are kids.

“It's a massive problem. Wednesday and Saturday 12:30 is a broadcaster problem and nothing else.

“We play against Atalanta on Wednesday and then 12:30 [Saturday] against Brighton.

“It's an early Christmas present. We will show up there shaking. I think about sending the points. That's how it is.”

“If someone tells me again about contracts I'll go really nuts. Because these contracts aren't made for a Covid season.

“We all have to adapt. Everything's changed, but the contracts with the broadcasters is still: 'We have this, so we keep this'. What? Everything changed, the whole world changed!”

14 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I know Sky have to talk up games and make it seem like shock results will be on the cards, but their constant reference to Liverpool’s injuries is increasingly annoying. Leicester have 3 of their first choice back four out, as well as Ndidi. The way Sky are waffling on it’s as if Liverpool have got their U19s out. 

It's always the case. I think Klopp contributes to it by complaining about it endlessly while also still managing to be quite charming.  When they played Villa earlier this season there was stuff about Mane being out, so Liverpool had to make to with their £45m summer signing Diogo Jota playing up front instead.   It's a weird concession that a lot of other clubs don't get, I'm not saying that any squad isn't going to suffer with the loss of players but I do wonder if that now it's easy to measure engagement per club (social media activity, links clicked, VOD's watched etc) that broadcasters such as Sky are tailoring their content even more towards the clubs who win every week and have global fanbases.  The thing is the more they do stuff like this the more emboldened certain chairman are to think that the Premier League is all about them and we get proposals like last month's "Project Big Picture" where they try to solidify and expand on the soft power that they already hold.  

I don't buy the whole 'congested season' thing, it's not that much worse than usual, one game a week unless you're in Europe. I agree that the international friendlies are stupid, but the national managers should be resting players for them. 

Just now, Mike1812 said:

I don't buy the whole 'congested season' thing, it's not that much worse than usual, one game a week unless you're in Europe. Maybe coming from the Championship distorts my view, it seems like ages between games for me! I agree that the international friendlies are stupid, but the national managers should be resting players for them. 

27 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I agree that the international friendlies are stupid, but the national managers should be resting players for them. 

The international friendlies didn't need to be played. The second half of the sentence is overly club-centric.

First that you can't rest everyone. You've got to pick a team, so some clubs are going to get annoyed their players play and others aren't. Secondly, with relatively few games in the calendar, spending one of the games playing a weakened squad so that your best players rest also means not using that match to give your first team proper match experience. 

This congested season has been madness, none of the clubs had time to fit in their usual tours of Asia or the US for high paying friendlies. 

I do have some sympathy for the scheduling, but more for the players who we're going to see gradually broken down by the clubs and associations refusing to remove any fixtures from the calendar, even garbage like the charity shield and european super cup still HAD TO BE PLAYED.

We didn't get much coverage after playing City and Liverpool in the space of two days for TV.  Poor Jurgen.

But yeah, I'd like to see some changes to how TV companies can call the shots on when games are played.

I'm against five subs however as it does favour the bigger clubs and once it's accepted as norm it won't be taken away.

My solution is simple.  You still name 18 players, you still have a starting 11 and three tactical substitutions.  But you also get an four injury substitutes which you can make at any time, without it counting towards your three.  Player pulling a muscle or accidentally injured in a tackle, you can take them off without being penalised.  It's about player welfare, so this would stop players playing on when they shouldn't and doing further damage and teams don't get penalised for misfortune.

Oh, did I mention that any player who goes off as an injury substitution can't start the next game and can only be subbed in after 75 minutes as a tactical sub?  Because you don't want these players rushed back after a knock.  It's about players welfare after all.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

My solution is simple.  You still name 18 players, you still have a starting 11 and three tactical substitutions.  But you also get an four injury substitutes which you can make at any time, without it counting towards your three.  Player pulling a muscle or accidentally injured in a tackle, you can take them off without being penalised.  It's about player welfare, so this would stop players playing on when they shouldn't and doing further damage and teams don't get penalised for misfortune.

Oh, did I mention that any player who goes off as an injury substitution can't start the next game and can only be subbed in after 75 minutes as a tactical sub?  Because you don't want these players rushed back after a knock.  It's about players welfare after all.

Also, help with head injuries. For example Pope should not have been allowed to play on and should have been forced to a quiet room. 

Same with any head injury. Minimum 10 mins in a quiet room, with a free swap and am independent doctors opinion as to whether a player can carry on. 

We have demanded players become almost beyond human for our entertainment* that they are always on the edge of something breaking inside their bodies. 

Yet we expect them to do it day in and day out, but don't you dare try and address it because you are successful. 

I still want to see something done that brings parity to the league and allows more and more teams to compete each season. Salary caps, forced limited squad sizes and allow the talent to be spread.

But money talks and nothing will change until it all goes tits up. 

*Because of Sky / media hyperbole.

Yes, I can remember a couple of incidents at the Turf when the player was clearly concussed and went off far too many minutes later.  (And there was a German player in a major final?)

We've got to the point where the best players in the world, playing on billiard smooth surfaces, are told to run to breaking point by managers.  Somehow the fact that a game of football lasts 90 minutes has suddenly become a problem.

11 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Yes, I can remember a couple of incidents at the Turf when the player was clearly concussed and went off far too many minutes later.  (And there was a German player in a major final?)

We've got to the point where the best players in the world, playing on billiard smooth surfaces, are told to run to breaking point by managers.  Somehow the fact that a game of football lasts 90 minutes has suddenly become a problem.

Imagine Jan Molby trying to play today :lol:

45 minutes ago, Plissken said:

(And there was a German player in a major final?)

Christoph Kramer in the 2014 World Cup final. After he took the knock, he asked the ref if it was the final.

The only other player I know of who wasn't aware they were in a World Cup final is Garrincha, in 1958. It was his first major tournament, so he thought it worked like the league and expected to be playing everyone twice.

I might have posted the goal before, but Jordan Flores's ridiculous volley for Dundalk against Shamrock Rovers has been nominated for the Puskas Award this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWfe32TyCII

It won't win, because there's some absolute belters in the full list, though there's no simple video to find the fuckers:

Shirley Cruz (CRC) – Costa Rica v. Panama [Concacaf Women’s Olympic qualifying] (January 28 2020)
Giorgian De Arrascaeta (URU) – Ceará SC v. CR Flamengo [Brasileirão – Brazil] (August 25 2019)
Jordan Flores (ENG) – Shamrock Rovers FC v. Dundalk FC [League of Ireland] (February 28 2020)
André-Pierre Gignac (FRA) – UANL Tigres v. Pumas UNAM [Liga MX – Mexico] (March 1 2020)
Sophie Ingle (WAL) – Arsenal WFC v. Chelsea FC Women [FA Women’s Super League – England] (January 19 2020)
Zlatko Junuzović (AUT) – SK Rapid Wien v. FC Red Bull Salzburg [Bundesliga – Austria] (June 24 2020)
Hlompho Kekana (RSA) – Mamelodi Sundowns FC v. Cape Town City FC [South African Premier Soccer League] (August 20 2019)
Son Heungmin (KOR) – Tottenham Hotspur FC v. Burnley FC [Premier League – England] (December 7 2019)
Leonel Quiñónez (ECU) – Universidad Católica v. CSD Macará [Serie A – Ecuador] (August 19 2019)
Luis Suárez (URU) – FC Barcelona v. RCD Mallorca [LaLiga[MG(1] – Spain] (7 December 2019)
Caroline Weir (SCO) – Manchester City WFC v. Manchester United WFC [FA Women’s Super League – England] (September 7 2019)