Football Thread 2020/2021

automated VAR offside here we come, they should call it VARNet or something sinister.

the bit about algorithms being driven off a dataset of previous incidents is 'interesting' as implies some sort of statistical assumptions being taken rather than a system which is taking accurate measurements and applying them.

will VARNet be final, seems unlikely but if not what is the point of it beyond saving real peoples face in making a decision, and having Carragher spitting and getting angry about a robot making the decisions ?

11 hours ago, Gabzy said:

The pitch for the Croatia Portugal game is a joke. Commentator somehow surprised both teams' passing game isn't flowing.

Only saw the highlights but good lord Portugal lucked out in this game.  Played against ten men for the second half, scored from a rebound of the free kick immediately after the red card. These things happen but their second goal was from a Thierry Henry vs Ireland level of handball and then the Croatia keeper crashed into his own defender at a corner and dropped the ball at the feet of Ruben Dias in the 90th minute.  

Ireland looked like scoring for about 1.3 seconds in total, I think. Curtis fluffed with only the keeper to beat, Brady hit the bar with a cracker. A few other decent balls in from Byrne and Horgan, Collins had a few efforts, but nothing as clear as that Curtis opportunity that actually had me on my feet. On my feet! Bloody hell.

The last five minutes were interesting, in that you couldn't tell who needed the win to avoid relegation. Ireland were throwing men forward every chance they got, to no avail, while Bulgaria didn't get much opportunity. I half expected a late break to send Ireland down, such has been the run of luck so far.

International football outside of tournaments holds zero interest for me at the best of times - now it just seems like madness as a way to further knacker and injure players or give them the plague meaning they can't play where most people want to watch them.

Until Covid is gone its the first thing I'd take totally out of the football calendar, followed by the Carling then FA Cups. Plus I'd ban teams from arranging any friendlies in the time it frees up to stop that bullshit.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

International football outside of tournaments holds zero interest for me at the best of times - now it just seems like madness as a way to further knacker and injure players or give them the plague meaning they can't play where most people want to watch them.

I know what you mean, I haven't generally watched England qualifiers of any description for about 5/6 years I suppose, nor any of this Nations League junk. Part of that is because I just don't really feel any connection to the current crop of players - most are complete charisma vacuums, for starters - but I don't really care for Southgate either. Even during tournaments I prefer watching other teams, it's usually better than the turgid display England put on.

The friendlies last week were a completely stupid thing to be scheduling, and the Nations League should never have been in its full format, if it was even played at all. And that's just UEFA.

Despite international football being my bread and butter, I completely agree with Gotters - it's not the time to be flying around the world. Domestic competitions can be relatively controlled, once you start crossing borders you're putting people at greater risk.

I care England won.

I suspect me and Fry are in the top 3 caring-about-international-football-posters on here. But I feel exactly the same way, it's ridiculous that international games are going ahead. And forget even the totally justified concerns of a condensed schedule on player's fitness - There's a pandemic with hundreds of thousands of people dying.
Stay the fuck indoors, or at least in your own fucking country.

It's not even just the clubs, there are national sides that have suffered a little thanks to Covid measures. Obviously, bias creeps in here because Ireland were hit repeatedly, but other teams weren't able to field full sides for crucial playoff games, and Norway had to forfeit their match against Romania and field a weakened team against Austria.

They've only allowed six subs for friendlies these days, has been that way for quite some number of years. But to be fair, going for the win or not it's kinda hard to care about a game that ultimately means nothing.

One of the reasons why I like the Nations League as a concept. 

Funnily enough I like this England team under Southgate. They remind me of bunch of enthusiastic puppies who everyone likes while they are yapping around scoring goals and then Pickford and the defence  shit on the carpet and everyone agrees that they aren’t quite well house trained enough.

I’ve been drinking.

Friendlies should have been cancelled but smaller associations need money, and football needs to show games to get money. So the Nations League should have went ahead. They are playing European competition so any cross border arguments are bollocks. 

"International football is a waste of time" almost always comes from big nations, who UEFA and Fifa have been pandering to for 30 years and making it more or less impossible for them to not qualify. Great job there. 

Look at the absolute outpouring of joy in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, kensei said:

Friendlies should have been cancelled but smaller associations need money, and football needs to show games to get money.

They absolutely do. Did you know that the registered-as-not-for-profit organisation Fifa has over $2.7billion in cash reserves?

19 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/19/ireland-manager-stephen-kenny-faces-fai-probe-anti-english-video

This is bizarre. What were we saying about people not caring about friendlies? 

RTE have reported that it was two and a half minutes of football triumphs over England, and thirty seconds of Anglo-Irish history.

The latter is tone deaf. Even ignoring the few players that were born in England, there's the small matter that the majority of the squad play there, and have English partners, children, families and friends. 

There's enough footballing history to pump up the team without resorting to stoking anti-English sentiment, which belongs in the past.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

that assist from Werner should be worth 2 and shows what a misleading stat it can be, as it will register the same as a misplaced hoof that a goal arises from.

The best bit was when Abraham tapped it in and then went off celebrating on his own.