Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

The word "outclassed' isn't enough to describe the gulf here between Ireland and England. Ireland the better team for ten minutes but - and this will surprise you - created no chances. 

And then that's been that. 

What's the longest we went without scoring? I suspect we may bust that record. 

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Man I’m actually crying. Just came on me all of a sudden. What the fuck.

Same!! Racing heartbeat during the pens but overall fine then final one saved and I just broke down!!

Fucking hell it felt good.

1 hour ago, kensei said:

What's the longest we went without scoring? I suspect we may bust that record. 

Best I can find is six games - between a 9-1 defeat to Scotland in 1899, and a 3-0 win over Wales in 1902.

But that's technically Northern Ireland now. 

Since the Republic came into being, the worst streak is 5, sandwiched between a 2-1 win over Latvia and a 2-2 draw with Croatia in 1995-96. And, of course, the current streak which may very well reach six on Sunday, but I expect they'll score on Wednesday at home to Bulgaria.

11 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Best I can find is six games - between a 9-1 defeat to Scotland in 1899, and a 3-0 win over Wales in 1902.

But that's technically Northern Ireland now. 

Since the Republic came into being, the worst streak is 5, sandwiched between a 2-1 win over Latvia and a 2-2 draw with Croatia in 1995-96. And, of course, the current streak which may very well reach six on Sunday, but I expect they'll score on Wednesday at home to Bulgaria.

As I'm a little less distracted this morning, the results in question:

Feb 1900 - Wales 2 - 0 Ireland

Mar 1900 - Ireland 0 - 3 Scotland

Mar 1900 - Ireland 0 - 2 England

Feb 1901 - Scotland 11 - 0 Ireland

Mar 1901 - England 3 - 0 Ireland

Mar 1901  - Ireland 0 - 1 Wales

All at the British Home Championships.

Then in the 90s:

Nov 1995 - Portugal 3 - 0 Ireland - Euro 96 qualifier

Dec 1995 - Netherlands 2 - 0 Ireland - Euro 96 qualifier

Mar 1996 - Ireland 0 - 2 Russia - Friendly

Apr 1996 - Czech Rep 2 - 0 Ireland - Friendly

May 1996 - Ireland 0 - 1 Portugal - Friendly

The competitive games were the last under Jack Charlton, the friendlies the first under Mick McCarthy. McCarthy wouldn't win a game until his eighth match in charge, a 3-0 win over Bolivia in the US.

In terms of actual minutes between goals, Ireland scored in the 64th minute against Latvia that preceded the run, then in the 24th minute of the 2-2 draw with Croatia, making it a rather satisfyingly round 500 minute gap. Heading back to the all-island days, Ireland scored in the 54th minute against Scotland, and then in the 40th minute of the win over Wales, making it 616 minutes.

Kenny's last goal was an injury time equaliser, so that makes the current run a simply-calculated 480 minutes - five games, plus a period of extra time. Ireland therefore have 20 minutes to score against Wales on Sunday if they want to avoid this incarnation's record, or within a minute of the start of the second half against Bulgaria on Wednesday to avoid holding the overall record.

Northern Ireland's record on the island would take some beating, though - a whopping 13 games starting with a 0-0 draw in Liechtenstein in March 2002, and not ending until a 4-1 home loss to Norway in 2004. 

Pay per View scrapped until the New Year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932314

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.

The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

Hopefully this is the start of fans in England realising that if they stand together and vote with their feet/wallet we can change some aspects of the game we find unpalatable.

We may not get the same level of influence as in Germany because of the ownership structures but this is a start. 

Since when was Pickford eligible for Gibraltar?

(To be fair, you can see what he was trying to do - prevent the corner - but messed it up.)

I don't get the snark.  I'd rather those two teams had a chance of winning a game rather than lining up to be slaughtered twice every eight weeks.  That's why I think for all its faults - and they are very many indeed - the concept behind the Nations League of making every international game mean something is a good one.

I concur with Plissken's thoughts above - it's a good thing for them and it's an area where the Nations League really excels. I'm still dubious about the merits of a six game tournament this early in an already condensed Covid-afflicted calendar, but that's not the format that's at fault.

Another thing about games like this is it gives teams like Gibraltar a chance to do something other than sit back and soak up pressure for 90 minutes in the hope of not too bit a slaughtering. There were moments when the likes of Tjay de Barr and Liam Walker were able to showcase the qualities they have, relative to their opponents, with pirouttes and quick feet opening up gaps in the Sammarinese defence.

The carrot of the European Championships playoff might not be around for Euro 2024 though, at least not at this level - with only two groups in League D I can't see the merit of offering a guaranteed place to a straight playoff between the two group winners. They might be left out altogether (their place can be filled by the hosts Germany without affecting the existing qualification structure), or absorbed into playoffs in higher leagues.

I totally agree, it’s far better sides like San Marino and Gibraltar have actual competitive matches rather than being perennial whipping boys.

North Macedonia qualifying for the Euros thanks to the adjusted format is a huge thing. They’ll hopefully beat England in the last sixteen too.

But that’s also some shocking goalkeeping; try to prevent a corner, almost gift an open goal. Lovely, heartwarming stuff.