Football Thread 2020/2021

So with talk of another lockdown heading do you think sport will shut down again too or, now there is experience of working within a bubble, it'll be okay? If they shut it down then there's no way to complete the season effectively, is there, because there just isn't the time?

They won't shut the Premier League down, it's entertainment for the people stuck at home.

They are seemingly dealing with it well and infections are dealt with swiftly in the Premier League.

As for EFL, I'm not sure but if they do get stopped again surely clubs are going to be screwed.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

So with talk of another lockdown heading do you think sport will shut down again too or, now there is experience of working within a bubble, it'll be okay? If they shut it down then there's no way to complete the season effectively, is there, because there just isn't the time?

No way of completing it properly, no.  They can point to France not shutting down (and others) and say that it can be done.

I'm surprised we haven't had a Premier League team go down to COVID yet, forcing a postponement.  It will be interesting to see what happens - which I suspect will be very much based on who that team is.

Players are tested multiple times a week. It's all controlled fairly well.

Scottish Cup Semi Finals this weekend (last season's Scottish Cup that is). Blowing a gale and pushing down tonight in Glasgow so the Edinburgh Derby that's about to kick off should be a fun match in this weather in an empty Hampden. 

(Player to watch for those interested in such things: Kevin Nisbet) 

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I'm surprised we haven't had a Premier League team go down to COVID yet, forcing a postponement.  It will be interesting to see what happens - which I suspect will be very much based on who that team is.

I can't see there being a postponement.   A couple of weeks ago Napoli couldn't play their game against Juventus, there was a local lockdown in Naples and they weren't allowed to travel to Turin, Juve were handed a 3-0 win and Napoli have been deducted points.  Now I know we don't have a "lets fix it so Juve win again" policy in England, but I suspect that fixtures will run regardless of who is fit due to Covid because once postponements start piling up the entire season is screwed.   Games will continue, players will just be expected to live in bubbles and if somebody has to field a team full of youth players because of an outbreak then it's probably the lesser of two evils. 

We've had a few postponed due to covid in Scotland. And a cup game awarded as a walkover. St Mirren have had consistently bad Covid problems for some reason.  Celtic had 4 first team players out due to it recently, definitely contributing to some dropped points. 

At a certain point there isn't enough room in the calendar so walkovers or youth teams playing will be the order of the day. 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think this gives the PL the ideal opportunity to get out of this PPV mess they've got themselves into. Announce that all the Premier League games after the international break will be back on Sky, BT, BBC and Amazon to help the nation whilst 'locked down'. 

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I think this gives the PL the ideal opportunity to get out of this PPV mess they've got themselves into. Announce that all the Premier League games after the international break will be back on Sky, BT, BBC and Amazon to help the nation whilst 'locked down'. 

That would be great but sadly I thi k the best we'll get (if any change at all is made) is a reduction in price. 

16 hours ago, Adrock said:

They won't shut the Premier League down, it's entertainment for the people stuck at home.

They are seemingly dealing with it well and infections are dealt with swiftly in the Premier League.

As for EFL, I'm not sure but if they do get stopped again surely clubs are going to be screwed.

It's a massive industry for betting companies and TV companies. 

The EFL have iPlayer but the figures aren't anywhere near what they'd get through turnstiles.

4 minutes ago, Gotters said:

are we all so numbed into acceptance now of Salah diving for, and winning, penalties that it doesn't even register as worthy for comment anymore ?

Was he not kicked? Does that reaction to contact not happen every single week?

It gets rather tiresome to point it out every single time. It's an element of the modern game.

Sure its an increasingly obnoxious part of an increasingly obnoxious sport - but I just can't fathom how week after week certain players are getting away with crap like this.

He didn't even throw himself to the ground in the right direction for the supposed 'kick' that took him off his feet - if they aren't going to use VAR to overturn this stuff then there is simply no point in having it. 

He's not alone, but that is his second in only a few days.

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

are we all so numbed into acceptance now of Salah diving for, and winning, penalties that it doesn't even register as worthy for comment anymore ?

He gets kicked, and has to react like that or the refs don’t give you a penalty for a foul. Blame the refs. As long as that’s the status quo exaggerating contact will continue. 

Just now, Gotters said:

Sure its an increasingly obnoxious part of an increasingly obnoxious sport - but I just can't fathom how week after week certain players are getting away with crap like this.

He didn't even throw himself to the ground in the right direction for the supposed 'kick' that took him off his feet - if they aren't going to use VAR to overturn this stuff then there is simply no point in having it. 

He's not alone, but that is his second in only a few days.

Why would VAR overturn it? Clear foul, clear penalty. Don’t kick players in the box.

there is a very low bar to 'kicked' nowadays.

I'm not going to blame the refs for cheats cheating. They need to own that shit and be made accountable for it.

At present all that is happening is he's getting rewarded for it.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

I'm not going to blame the refs for cheats cheating. They need to own that shit and be made accountable for it.

“he”. Salah who famously invented diving and is the only person to do it in the Premier League. It’s a foul, he kicked him in the leg. 

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

“exaggerating contact”... :coffee:

If you don’t, you don’t get penalties. Salah gets kicked and held constantly in the box and when he tries to play on he gets nothing. Start correctly punishing teams for their grappling and nobody would have to do it.

2 minutes ago, dizogg said:

“he”. Salah who famously invented diving and is the only person to do it in the Premier League. It’s a foul, he kicked him in the leg. 

ah, the 'everybody else's mum is letting them do it' defence, thats OK then.

20 hours ago, Gabe said:

If they shut it down then there's no way to complete the season effectively, is there, because there just isn't the time?

There'd be no real way to complete a 38-game Premier League season, but there's no sense in being locked into that. If you can't play a full season then your alternatives are to play a reduced campaign, or to toss the whole season in the bin.

A reduced campaign would mean something like playing a 19-game season, or splitting in two at that point and making it a 28-game campaign. Not ideal scenarios, but the pandemic doesn't really allow for idealism, and both are preferable to just abandoning the league entirely.

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

ah, the 'everybody else's mum is letting them do it' defence, thats OK then.

No you’re talking about “he’s getting away with it” like this is some Salah problem. You’re upset because you don’t like Liverpool and we’re top of the league. You don’t care that much about diving, you care about Liverpool doing well.

24 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Spent more time on his feet in the box last season when getting dragged and kicked after getting labelled a diver the season before and got fuck all for it. Either punish fouls even when the player stays up or players will go down as its the only way for them to get penalties.

Incidentally I look forward to you bringing this point up for every other player and club this season (including your own) as I'm sure this has nothing to do with your dislike of Liverpool.