Football Thread 2020/2021

That was a proper 'Leeds in the Championship' performance last night. All possession, no end product. Wolves defended really well though to be fair, Coady and Kilman looked excellent and the pace on the break could have caught us out more. Koch and Strujik looked pretty solid for the most part. I think we'll do ok this season. 

19 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

That was a proper 'Leeds in the Championship' performance last night. All possession, no end product. Wolves defended really well though to be fair, Coady and Kilman looked excellent and the pace on the break could have caught us out more. Koch and Strujik looked pretty solid for the most part. I think we'll do ok this season. 

Yeah, you'll be fine - you scared the shit out of us by flying out of the blocks, lots of intelligent runs and you gave our wing backs a torrid time.  Does Bielsa make the side drink 10 triple espressos before kick off?!  It was relentless.

I think since West Ham put 4 past us, we've been much, much tighter in defence and have done really well to protect Patricio who hasn't had a real save to make in 180 minutes.

Keeping a clean sheet at Elland Road is no mean feat - think we just about deserved to win with the way we defended, and we were much better in the 2nd half but I've no concerns about Leeds at all - you're a really good side.

I was wondering how a club that defines itself by struggle would cope with being world, national and very recently ex-European champions.  And there it is.

BRB, signing the Book of Remembrance at St Georges Hall.  #You'llNeverLimpAlone.

Liverpool desperately need to go into the transfer market in Jan to sign another very tall angry looking player to loom in an intimidating way over referees whenever a decision is given against them and shout angrily with an arm in the air claiming an imaginary offence whenever they concede - its the cornerstone the team is based on. 

I know it's not the club calling for Pickford to sit out the time Van Dyke is crocked, but its just a stupid thing to even discuss. 

Not like you have to go back far to find equally reckless, if not as injury inducing, attempts from Liverpool players on opponents.

ederson-sadio-mane.jpg?width=990

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

Yes, but this means more.

At least our club motto isn't "But, but the big teams...waaaaah" ;) (kidding obviously)

On the above... Mane was sent off and banned. So yeah, just like the Pickford thing. 

I actually don't blame Pickford himself, as these things do happen, heat of the moment, rush of blood, etc. What is ridiculous is the officiating not picking it up and taking action. Yet were able to still send off Martial for a stroke on a Spurs cheek. Officiating in the top flight gets worse and worse with every passing season. It is ridiculous. Missing actual dangerous, potential career ending tackles, even with the benefits of modern technology, but handing out bans for whatever feather touch Martial hit Lamela's face with, whilst ignoring his part in the same incident. 

44 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Champions should be able to deal with one player getting injured. These things happen. 

See Man City fans whinging about Laporte’s absence last year. Don’t think we’ve got any on here unfortunately.

Exactly though, Liverpool have enough quality that Van Dijk’s absence means adjustments are required that Klopp and his coaching team are more than capable of devising. It’s another wrinkle in an already fascinating season.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Has there actually been an explanation for why Pickford didn't get a red?  Unless the officials have gone "Sorry lads, fucked that one up" in which case fair enough.

I think David Coote was in charge of VAR.

Explains a lot. 

5 hours ago, The Fox said:

Jesus Christ 

If the “ban him for as long as the other guy is injured” rule comes in then what happens when someone tackles Adam Lallana or Andy Carroll? Do Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge suddenly get offered big contacts by Real Madrid just so they can make their debut in El Clasico and get a couple of Barcelona players banned for an entire season? 

6 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

If the “ban him for as long as the other guy is injured” rule comes in then what happens when someone tackles Adam Lallana or Andy Carroll? Do Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge suddenly get offered big contacts by Real Madrid just so they can make their debut in El Clasico and get a couple of Barcelona players banned for an entire season? 

Fuck me, if that rule came in, united would be quids in with Phil Jones :)

This is a FIFA power grab, the World Cup doesn’t happen often enough for the kind of money they crave and they’ve been jealous of the Champions League for years. This weakens UEFA and allows FIFA to assert dominance over the biggest club teams as well as the national sides.

33 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

oh no whatever will we do no please US-owned bully boy bad guys of football don't leave us our hearts won't cope

The clubs involved aren’t leaving domestic competition though. They’d be potentially swallowing up more European money, while remaining Premier League clubs.

It’s rampant greed by a band of clubs, including Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea, not just the headline two mentioned above.

Greedy and tone deaf given the current state of sport in general. Bunch of arse.

45 minutes ago, ryodi said:

This is a FIFA power grab, the World Cup doesn’t happen often enough for the kind of money they crave and they’ve been jealous of the Champions League for years. This weakens UEFA and allows FIFA to assert dominance over the biggest club teams as well as the national sides.

I wonder what happened to UEFA expanding the European Championships and even "inviting" other countries from other confederations into it?  Maybe they might rethink it if FIFA are trying to pull a power grab here?

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Really?!? I mean really?!?

A three game ban sure, but that is just the dumbest idea.

They're almost certainly joking, it's a thing that started when Aaron Ramsey got injured and is wheeled out every injury.

13 minutes ago, glb said:

The clubs involved aren’t leaving domestic competition though. They’d be potentially swallowing up more European money, while remaining Premier League clubs.

It’s rampant greed by a band of clubs, including Arsenal, City, Spurs and Chelsea, not just the headline two mentioned above.

Greedy and tone deaf given the current state of sport in general. Bunch of arse.

It's not all of those because at most it's 5 English clubs and you just named 6.