Football Thread 2020/2021

49 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

It's easy for Leeds because every game is a rivalry. Everyone hates us!

No. Leeds hate everyone.  The rest of us hardly care, apart from to laugh (at least, for the last 18 years or so).  

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Wiki lists the following, though I have no idea if they're in general use:

• M1: Luton v Watford
  • M11: Bishop's Stortford v Harlow
  • A5: Nuneaton v Tamworth
  • A500: Crewe v Port Vale
  • M69: Coventry v Leicester
  • A62: Huddersfield v Oldham
  • A627: Oldham v Rochdale
  • A259: Peacehaven & Telscombe v Newhaven
  • A27: Bognor Regis v Whitehawk
  • A420: Oxford v Swindon
  • M23: Brighton v Palace
  • M4: Reading v Swindon
  • A13: Leyton Orient v Southend
  • A61: Chesterfield v Sheffield United/Wednesday (a double!)
  • A49: Hereford v Shrewsburty
  • M66: Bury v Rochdale

Also the M69 for Wasps v Leicester Tigers in the rugby. 

Loving those non-league rivalries. 

Well that list is bollocks.

It's Stoke City vs Port Vale and Bury vs Bolton for a start.  (Anyone thinking Rochdale is on the M66 has never actually looked at the route of the M66 for a start.)  And Wasps were in London until a few years ago.

Chesterfield and Huddersfield are orphaned when it comes to derbies.  Generally it was Rotherham and Bradford respectively but more due to familiarity than anything else but the problem is that everyone around them is generally paired off already.

Dreadful Palace performance, lucky to come away with a point, Hodgson's anti-football works 60% of the time but his continued lack of a plan B for when the game doesn't suit it is the reason some of the Palace faithful are losing a bit of faith.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've never heard any Cov fan so much as mention Leicester either.

Villa on the other hand...

We do definitely have a dislike of Leicester, just not as much as other teams. Leicester fans in places like Hinckley, in the south of the country have a thing about Cov. Older Cov fans have a thing with Wolves dating back to the sixties. 

I thought that everyone in the midlands hated the Villa though?

21 minutes ago, Gotters said:

West Ham responding as expected to having the inspirational David Moyes back out of his plague exile.

It might just be me imagining it having lived through over 40 years of supporting Spurs, but we still don’t look exactly comfortable at the back.

1 minute ago, Jammy said:

It might just be me imagining it having lived through over 40 years of supporting Spurs, but we still don’t look exactly comfortable at the back.

maybe, but 'come on lads it's Spurs' doesn't really work as a HT team talk if you are West Ham

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Just like Norwich - Ipswich! 

87BFEBD4-E64E-458D-9FC2-9A2D1D62E0E7.png

There’s clearly more to it than just distance between the two stadiums.  I’m not exactly sure what, but there has to be something.  

Ipswich to Norwich, via the A140 is hardly EVER 1 hr and 15 minutes, a lot of it is single lane, and full of lorries and tractors, add half an hour on to that easy :doh:

2 hours ago, AfromB said:

We do definitely have a dislike of Leicester, just not as much as other teams. Leicester fans in places like Hinckley, in the south of the country have a thing about Cov. Older Cov fans have a thing with Wolves dating back to the sixties. 

I thought that everyone in the midlands hated the Villa though?

Ive also read cov/Wolves was A big deal in the 60s. Sounds like it was pretty nasty actually. 

Wolves never have had a rivalry with Villa aside from a silly spat three years ago which is mainly played out still on Twitter. 

Blades are in real trouble this season.  Our inability to finish chances is killing us.  It's a shame - McBurnie was decent today aside from his finishing, but that's ultimately what we pay him for.  In the end we were lucky to come away with a point.  The game should have been dead before half time.  It's a strange situation.  I hope nobody would ever ask for Wilder's job.  He still makes the right decisions as far as I'm concerned.  We definitely struggled to compete in the window, despite still spending a reasonable amount.  Going to be a tough season to turn around.

81 min So can Spurs win the league? It already looks like it’ll take a lower points tally than the past three seasons, which should mean more teams can stay in the race for longer.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

maybe, but 'come on lads it's Spurs' doesn't really work as a HT team talk if you are West Ham

I bet you're just gutted about this post making you look foolish. 

3 minutes ago, bear said:

I bet you're just gutted about this post making you look foolish. 

silver linings and all that.

I’ll take looking foolish for that look on Mourinho’s face.

Wish Amazon were filming his lunch in the canteen with Levy tomorrow.

Didnt Bale go 19 without a win first time round ? That’s 1.