Football Thread 2020/2021

interesting thread on some emerging details from last weeks 'project big picture' story, and some fascinating numbers about global PL tv audiences for matches (and the implications)

M23 derby day! I appreciate there are only 2 members in this thread who have an interest.

I guess we know Zaha will score but other than that I don't know which way it'll go. Probably 1-1 with Maupay giving us an early lead which we squander to a set piece 3 minutes later. Trossard to hit the woodwork at least 3 times.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

People complaining about Liverpool seeking special treatment in having VAR investigated just because it’s them should remember, this is Liverpool, this means more. 

I think that's really unfair. They truly care about the fairness and equality of football, that the historic values that underpin football are being dismantled in front of our very eyes and that the integrity of our competitive league is being questioned. 

Lets just, er, forget about Project Big Picture, though shall we..

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

M23 derby day! I appreciate there are only 2 members in this thread who have an interest.

I guess we know Zaha will score but other than that I don't know which way it'll go. Probably 1-1 with Maupay giving us an early lead which we squander to a set piece 3 minutes later. Trossard to hit the woodwork at least 3 times.

Morning  :bye:

Tedious 0-0 with 98% of possession being in the midfield until the 95th minute, then a last gasp winner for your boys via lumped Sakho clearance that rebounds in off the back of Dunk's head.   

Today most of all I'm missing going to games with my two eldest, nothing like the live derby day atmosphere for getting the adrenaline going (and indoctrinating them so they don't get influenced by their mates to support a good team)

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

ah, the magic of the 46miles 1h drive apart 'derby'

notaderby.thumb.jpg.68c5bc465d862eef16016fb094b8311f.jpg

We are 46 miles apart?

You learn something new every day, if only someone had brought that up every single time we play.....

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

well its not a derby is it

We had exactly the same debate in last years' thread, it's pointless and tedious.

Call it a "rivalry" if it makes you feel better, it's long lasting and intense and matters to us, what other fans consider it matters fuck all.   

I was getting a sense that all of this had happened before (and all of this will happen again)

I won't mention it later in the season when the return fixture happens.

You always have to pick a side in a important derby, even as a neutral, so I'm going for Brighton as don't care much for Roy Hodgson.  

I don't think Liverpool should have mentioned anything about the disallowed goal in their questions to the Premier League. 

They are right to try and find out why Pickford wasn't sent off.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

ah, the magic of the 46miles 1h drive apart 'derby'

notaderby.thumb.jpg.68c5bc465d862eef16016fb094b8311f.jpg

Just like Norwich - Ipswich! 

87BFEBD4-E64E-458D-9FC2-9A2D1D62E0E7.png

There’s clearly more to it than just distance between the two stadiums.  I’m not exactly sure what, but there has to be something.  

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

People complaining about Liverpool seeking special treatment in having VAR investigated just because it’s them should remember, this is Liverpool, this means more. 

Just to add, the Pickford challenge was bloody awful, he clearly should have been sent off and I feel for VVD.

Wiki lists the following, though I have no idea if they're in general use:

• M1: Luton v Watford
  • M11: Bishop's Stortford v Harlow
  • A5: Nuneaton v Tamworth
  • A500: Crewe v Port Vale
  • M69: Coventry v Leicester
  • A62: Huddersfield v Oldham
  • A627: Oldham v Rochdale
  • A259: Peacehaven & Telscombe v Newhaven
  • A27: Bognor Regis v Whitehawk
  • A420: Oxford v Swindon
  • M23: Brighton v Palace
  • M4: Reading v Swindon
  • A13: Leyton Orient v Southend
  • A61: Chesterfield v Sheffield United/Wednesday (a double!)
  • A49: Hereford v Shrewsburty
  • M66: Bury v Rochdale

Also the M69 for Wasps v Leicester Tigers in the rugby. 

Loving those non-league rivalries. 

We've just signed Danny Welbeck. Not sure how I feel about that. We needed another striker but I can't see hime being more than a bench option and mentor to the kids. He's probably blown our claim to having the youngest squad in the division though.

32 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think Leicester v Coventry is the M69 derby just to add weight to your argument :)

Transport links are definitely a thing when it comes to rivalries, places have more cultural ties if it's easy to move between them. I've always felt that because the Brighton to London railway is such an incredibly busy line and that Croydon is a major stop on the line then Brighton & Hove and Crystal Palace are on each others radars just because of their increased visibility to each other when people are going about their day to day business.    

Leicester - Coventry is an odd one though,  I live in the weird bit of no mans land of North Warwickshire which is between Birmingham, Coventry and Leicester.  I've got a CV postcode because all of Warwickshire has a CV postcode despite the fact that Coventry isn't actually in Warwickshire, and the local news around here is utterly dominated by Birmingham.  Leicester might as well be a million miles away according to the BBC because it's nominally in the East Midlands. 

From a football point of view Leicester don't appear to care about Coventry, they hate on Derby and Forest and Coventry don't appear to care about Leicester because they really hate Villa.  I don't think Derby or Forest care too much about Leicester and I know for a fact that Villa fans don't care about Coventry at all, so there has been some weird attempt to turn Coventry vs Leicester into a thing.  It feels completely manufactured even though the places only about 25 miles from each other.   I think it's because they are in different geographical regions and they don't really have any shared satellite towns where both clubs would draw support from.  I'm not sure this is the case with other weird derby games like Palace - Brighton which is a much more densely populated region or Norwich - Ipswich which only seems to exist because there is fuck all else to do. 

49 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Transport links are definitely a thing when it comes to rivalries, places have more cultural ties if it's easy to move between them. I've always felt that because the Brighton to London railway is such an incredibly busy line and that Croydon is a major stop on the line then Brighton & Hove and Crystal Palace are on each others radars just because of their increased visibility to each other when people are going about their day to day business.    

Nah, it goes back to a load of silliness in the 60's (rivals for Div 3 South promotion, and some aggro at the games) and a number of events at games escalate matters from there, involving on and off pitch elements.

The interesting thing is that (barring any changes/promotions in recent years) Palace are/were Brighton's next closest league team geographically speaking.

I honestly don't know what the refs/VAR are looking at any more in terms of giving pens - everybody will just fling themselves to the floor all the time (even more than at present) in the box in hope of getting something as the bar seems so low, and the golden boot will be a penalty taker.

Palace have been shit as well, if we'd deserved a goal Brighton might feel (slightly) less hard done by, but before the penalty they were all over us.

Thing is, whilst you'll always take the points gladly there's no joy in winning a game this way, derby or not.