Football Thread 2020/2021

If Southgate is truly wedded to playing out from the back, then Keane and Tarkowski at CB.  None of this pissing about with Dier, and Maguire is heading down the John Terry route.

If he insists on a no-nonsense CB who will stick his head in where it hurts and make his ball-playing CB partner look better, then the answer is Ben Mee.  It's always been Ben Mee.

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

What the bloody hell is going on with England?  Two years ago we had a likeable team and a likeable manager. Yes, the run to the World Cup semi finals was almost certainly helped by the way the draw for the tournament unfolded but now we've got players acting like utter arseholes constantly and really lacklustre performances, it's like 2010 all over again even though we've got this supposedly amazing strength in depth. 

I will say I don't like how Jack Grealish is being used as a stick to beat Gareth Southgate with though.  Jack is now becoming one of those players whose reputation gets better every time England don't play the opposition off the park. A lot of it is driven by Villa fans butthurt that somebody else might be in the team over Grealish, but I don't think Southgate helped himself when he answered questions about Grealish by talking about Mason Mount a couple of weeks ago and now it seems he's just getting asked that from journalists because they know the answer will probably be good copy.  It's only a month until the next internationals but Southgate really does need to have a look at what he's trying to do with this squad because it really does feel like he's trying to put square pegs in round holes lately. 

We (Burnley fans) kind of have the same discussion about Pope in goal over Pickford. I think he would be an improvement. But I also think his kicking needs improving too. And who knows how he’d do under the microscope of playing regularly for England. Especially in a tournament. But he definitely deserves a run in the side for me. I think if he had all the big 6 experience, champions league etc then he’d be in there now.

Also discussed are Tarkowski over Maguire, Gomez, Mings etc etc. This isn’t as clear to me because it’s unknown how Tarks would play in that defensive shape...where normally England would commit more players forward compared to Burnley. Though like you said - England have been very defensive of late for whatever reason. I wish he would get his chance though. Since he gave the penalty away against Italy he hasn’t seemed in the picture.

What this has led to is to Burnley fans, well those I talk to anyway, having zero patience with Southgate. I find it slightly unfair and he certainly shouldn’t be sacked or anything. I suppose we just want our players to get a fair opportunity. 

I think with Grealish he's having to be careful because everyone keeps banging on about how he should play and how amazing he is. Every game he doesn't get picked he seems to get better and better. You can sense the pressure growing from the press and the fans and he's got to manage that. The second you start naming the team based on what the tabloids want and it's all over. Don't play him and you've made yourself a target. You play him and if he doesn't do it, you're mismanaging his talents and we need someone who won't. He's a good player, but he's not going to make us into Brazil 70 no matter how much we want that to happen. Stick him in those pointless fixtures next month and see how he travels without seeming like you've folded like a broken deckchair and that would be the end of it. He managed it well with Sancho and I trust Southgate to get it right again.

I think people need to remember we're not actually that good. He's doing a decent job from where I'm sat.

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

If Southgate is truly wedded to playing out from the back, then Keane and Tarkowski at CB.  None of this pissing about with Dier, and Maguire is heading down the John Terry route.

When has Maguire ever been anywhere near as good as Terry?

14 hours ago, GaryC said:

We (Burnley fans) kind of have the same discussion about Pope in goal over Pickford. I think he would be an improvement. But I also think his kicking needs improving too. And who knows how he’d do under the microscope of playing regularly for England. Especially in a tournament. But he definitely deserves a run in the side for me. I think if he had all the big 6 experience, champions league etc then he’d be in there now.

This was from a good stats article on the Athletic back in March, so the data is a little out of date - goals prevented is interesting as it looks at the quality of shots faced (it uses expected goals on target which factors in not just where the shot taken from, which is xG, but things like defender position and quality of contact made with ball) and subtracts how many goals actually conceded - its a way of getting some nuance beyond save %, which is quite a crude measure and doesn't take into account how the team is defending as a whole. In short is a goalie costing you goals or stopping them being conceded. 

Pope is slightly better than Pickford here but nothing stellar - Henderson is the one that really needs to get some game time and not be sat on the bench I think. 

gk_gp_save_table-1-679x1024.png

7 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

What's 30m plus agent fees on a 40m deal between friends?

fixed that for you 

it can't be true, you could never do business with him again, it has to be some known about by Wolves sweetener (not a bung, no no no) to get another deal thru at some point in the future

'honest guv, the release clause is 100m but I've spoken to the chairman and if you pay all cash today we can do you a deal at 40m, but you have to move quick cos Barca and Juve are sniffing'

Dundalk have had a curious proposal turned down by UEFA - playing their Europa League campaign in Windsor Park.

They wanted to do so because the Aviva isn't available for their first game against Molde due to Six Nations preparations. This means they had to schedule the first game for Tallaght - their own ground Oriel Park isn't up to the standards, which extends beyond seating and into setup for television, etc - and the remaining games in the Aviva, thus facing an additional €50k in costs due to the various things needed to host Europa League games.

So they thought "fuck that" and looked into Windsor Park, which is about the same distance away. UEFA have said nah, they prefer teams play in their own country where possible.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

'honest guv, the release clause is 100m but I've spoken to the chairman and if you pay all cash today we can do you a deal at 40m, but you have to move quick cos Barca and Juve are sniffing'

It was 10m, then he agreed a new contract with Porto where his release clause was increased over 100m.

Porto probably trying to save face, plus apparently that journalist isn't too keen on our best mate.

https://en.as.com/en/2019/11/22/football/1574428723_134549.html

11 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I feel kinda sorry for him.  Two championships and twice he's been ditched straight away.

Yeah he never got a good run of games at Leeds, despite us not really having another left back. Injuries didn't help. When he did play, he did nothing wrong but was hardly spectacular. Sounds like a nice guy though. 

Just now, Mike1812 said:

Yeah he never got a good run of games at Leeds, despite us not really having another left back. Injuries didn't help. When he did play, he did nothing wrong but was hardly spectacular. Sounds like a nice guy though. 

I think he had a much bigger impact in our championship winning team.  It was a big shock when we let him go.  Hope he gets the hat trick!

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think he had a much bigger impact in our championship winning team.  It was a big shock when we let him go.  Hope he gets the hat trick!

Not Portuguese enough for you guys. Yeah I hope he does well, can't see Blackburn going up though. 

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Dundalk have had a curious proposal turned down by UEFA - playing their Europa League campaign in Windsor Park.

They wanted to do so because the Aviva isn't available for their first game against Molde due to Six Nations preparations. This means they had to schedule the first game for Tallaght - their own ground Oriel Park isn't up to the standards, which extends beyond seating and into setup for television, etc - and the remaining games in the Aviva, thus facing an additional €50k in costs due to the various things needed to host Europa League games.

So they thought "fuck that" and looked into Windsor Park, which is about the same distance away. UEFA have said nah, they prefer teams play in their own country where possible.

Doesn't surprise me - UEFA have been obsessed with teams keeping to their own country for decades now.

11 hours ago, Gotters said:

This was from a good stats article on the Athletic back in March, so the data is a little out of date - goals prevented is interesting as it looks at the quality of shots faced (it uses expected goals on target which factors in not just where the shot taken from, which is xG, but things like defender position and quality of contact made with ball) and subtracts how many goals actually conceded - its a way of getting some nuance beyond save %, which is quite a crude measure and doesn't take into account how the team is defending as a whole. In short is a goalie costing you goals or stopping them being conceded. 

Pope is slightly better than Pickford here but nothing stellar - Henderson is the one that really needs to get some game time and not be sat on the bench I think. 

gk_gp_save_table-1-679x1024.png

Vincent Guaita is an exceptional keeper, I have no idea how he get's overlooked by bigger teams/hasn't been stolen from us (yet)

I can only assume that his odd insistence on always wearing a short sleeved top is a distraction from his skills.

Football logic says Liverpool will be out to set things right after their last game thumping, and Everton will revert to their default flakey disposition, leading to an easy Liverpool win.

Weird/stupid international break though and this season so far kind of makes it harder to call than that.