Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, glb said:

Anyway, regarding the feedback, should add the digital hoardings don’t impact viewing at all. Think the only ones that do are the pop-ups on screen. Far less frequent in the UK, more the US. Are there moves to install more ads around the scoreboard etc?

I'm not really involved in anything broadcast so couldn’t say about that. I guess everybody’s doing the same equations about what they can sell without pissing people off too far. 

20 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

If there was a way to animate them separate to the hoardings - so they change at a different moment - they may catch the eye more without being too intrusive.

at this point that is probably easy, since they’re on different controllers. The FA gave a lot of the allocation to EE though so they’re just sat on loop for nearly all the duration. If/when a PL team picks up this stuff it might be different. 

I thought those pop up ones they did a few years ago at an England game were real obvious. I'm not even sure how that works - surely the advertiser who paid for the space on the advertising hoarding is going to be miffed that in England the broadcaster covered their advertising with their own?

You mean virtual ones where it looks like the graphics are on the physical boards (but are at the same time obviously a digital overlay)?

In those cases the rights will have been sold in that specific way, so the advertisers will possibly have had a price to advertise to both audiences - it might have been slightly awkward as they’d have to buy time from the local guys and then also whichever sports marketing agency bought the uk broadcast rights to resell. Anyway, they would have known what they were getting. 

When it gets full-blown use, just imagine how many niche official partners Man Utd will be able to cram in! They could segment the lucrative Official Marine Diesel Engine slot into Asia, Middle East, Europe and US. 

After 30 years, San Marino get their first competitive clean sheet away from home with a 0-0 in Liechtenstein. Also their first point in qualifying for six years.

They’ll be dancing in the streets of... San Marino tonight.

1 hour ago, glb said:

After 30 years, San Marino get their first competitive clean sheet away from home with a 0-0 in Liechtenstein. Also their first point in qualifying for six years.

They’ll be dancing in the streets of... San Marino tonight.

Will they though? Surelyt they was all in the squad for the game ;) 

12 hours ago, milko said:

When it gets full-blown use, just imagine how many niche official partners Man Utd will be able to cram in! They could segment the lucrative Official Marine Diesel Engine slot into Asia, Middle East, Europe and US. 

Imagine if it went waaaay further and you had to opt into personalised advertising on the Sky Q box, and once done these overlays were tailored to you... so I'd get ads full of Amazon stuff I had looked at earlier in the day :D 

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Imagine if it went waaaay further and you had to opt into personalised advertising on the Sky Q box, and once done these overlays were tailored to you... so I'd get ads full of Amazon stuff I had looked at earlier in the day :D 

Because you bought a microwave, here's 6 more microwaves.

So not unsurprisingly project big picture rejected at PL meeting today

It was never going to be approved - the point will be to get the idea out on the table and to start the back channeling and cutting of side deals to get it thru in the future in some form or another.

Gifting the opposition a goal is not the best way to win football games. Certainly not during a spell where you're starting to look on top.

That's the end of that slim chance of actually winning the group, but that pretty much went on Sunday. I suspect as well that it's too late for Ireland to push on and improve their world ranking by the few places they need to be a second seed in the World Cup qualifiers (how the fuck they're even in the running for that is anyone's guess), so the only thing to really aim for next month is try to score a goal.

Please, someone, score a goal.

They'll need to start winning matches. The pressure going into the World Cup qualifiers will be immense otherwise. 

More attractive football and limited points would see Kenny out fairly rapidly. Michael Obafemi must be a bit miffed at being left out given how crap the rest of the front line appears to be. 

I don't see Kenny being turfed out at any point before late in the Euro 2024 qualifiers. There's enough recognition in the remains of the FAI that the national team had to change tack. As long as there's an argument that the style Kenny favours isn't the problem, he'll get two campaigns.

Barring a dismal world cup effort, of course, but I'm sure even this lot can string together results against the likes of San Marino and Moldova.

Harry Maguire getting the red card for two yellows he should have got for the first tackle alone. Also what the hell were Sky thinking including the awful England band in the crowd noise soundtrack, them not being there is one of the few plus points of it being behind closed doors.

What was the penalty actually given for?  It's difficult to work out what the ref thinks he's seen.  It might be one of those situations where the referee's line of sight makes it look like something has happened when it hasn't, like that ghost goal Reading scored years ago.

For those who haven't seen it - 

Maguire is a liability for England and Man Utd at the moment.  He needs a month off to get his head together.  The incident in Greece has scrambled his brain completely.

What the bloody hell is going on with England?  Two years ago we had a likeable team and a likeable manager. Yes, the run to the World Cup semi finals was almost certainly helped by the way the draw for the tournament unfolded but now we've got players acting like utter arseholes constantly and really lacklustre performances, it's like 2010 all over again even though we've got this supposedly amazing strength in depth. 

I will say I don't like how Jack Grealish is being used as a stick to beat Gareth Southgate with though.  Jack is now becoming one of those players whose reputation gets better every time England don't play the opposition off the park. A lot of it is driven by Villa fans butthurt that somebody else might be in the team over Grealish, but I don't think Southgate helped himself when he answered questions about Grealish by talking about Mason Mount a couple of weeks ago and now it seems he's just getting asked that from journalists because they know the answer will probably be good copy.  It's only a month until the next internationals but Southgate really does need to have a look at what he's trying to do with this squad because it really does feel like he's trying to put square pegs in round holes lately. 

Grealish not playing even as a sub is really odd, though. Southgate not sending him on last night was ludicrous. He's exceptional at running with the ball and drawing fouls, which is exactly what an England team down to 10 men and generally dangerous from set pieces needed.

They're just so negative now, 3 at the back and 2 defensive midfielders? I get that against Belgium, maybe, but we should be attacking Denmark. 

He's not playing to the players strengths, everyone seems not quite in the right position to play to their strengths. 

I agree he should pay Grealish but anyone attacking will do. I think him and Mount in front of a DM would be perfect. 

I'd go for something like this:

LINEUP111602754517387.thumb.png.b3423dbd02c231ae25ba5a81525fbdea.png

I can only assume he keeps picking this 3-5-2 because we don't have very good centre backs, but it's very boring and not especially effective. 4-3-3 surely suits us better if he's willing to be a bit braver.

GK / Walker (TAA), CB, CB, Chilwell (Saka) / Phillips (Rice), Henderson (Winks), Foden (Mount) / Sancho (Greenwood), Kane (DCL), Sterling (Rashford)

Centre back is a problem area though for sure, especially now Maguire has gone to shit.