Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

You'll have to forgive those of us who don't support the Big 6 that this is any more than a fairly cynical land grab.

Well of course it is, where have I said it's not? My point is that the only reason this is getting any kind of traction is because the Premier League and the clubs outside of the big 6 have proposed absolutely nothing at a time when clubs up and down the country are on the brink..

Well, aside from the constant, non-stop cries for more share of the TV money from games that encroach on FL club's crowds, the decades longs cries for more protection of the poaching of young players, and since the start of covid, the repeated request for government assistance.

But yeah, aside from all that, not much else.

In other news, Chillwell and Trippier are out of the England squad.

That leaves possible call ups for Shaw (NO), Saka (Ok), Maitland Niles (Ok) and Charlie Taylor. 

I'd like to see Taylor please.

21 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Well, aside from the constant, non-stop cries for more share of the TV money from games that encroach on FL club's crowds, the decades longs cries for more protection of the poaching of young players, and since the start of covid, the repeated request for government assistance.

But yeah, aside from all that, not much else.

If I wasn't clear I mean what have the Premier League at large done, not EFL clubs.

Are there any thoughts about what the government could/should do and, by extension, all other creative endeavours (cinema/theatre/music etc), in terms or something grander than just a bailout to get through the next few months/rest of season?

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

I do wonder if the house of cards may start to wobble. You can't just keep showing more games to increase revenue. Barely anyone is watching the ones that are on now. 

Will be very interested to see the upcoming PPV figures, if they get released. 

Can I ask a question about my job, for anybody that watched Wembley matches lately (FA Cup, Community Shield, England) - did any of you notice/like/hate the animated steps in the stadium? I'm trying to get a sense for what kind of impact they have, although the FA putting two rows of LED next to the pitch probably dominates things already. I tend toward "It's not supposed to be bloody Las Vegas" a bit myself but I wonder if people even realise its there or have been sufficiently desensitized and can shut them out now.

16 minutes ago, milko said:

Can I ask a question about my job, for anybody that watched Wembley matches lately (FA Cup, Community Shield, England) - did any of you notice/like/hate the animated steps in the stadium? 

Are we talking about banners on the stairs around the concourse, or animated models of H and the gang performing 5-6-7-8 on the terraces to fill the ground out? Because I certainly didn't notice that.

haha, the former, more's the pity. You can see 'em here animating a little bit with an EE logo. (13s in if this starts at the beginning)

This is all about "giving sponsors back some value" (over what they've lost from being able to shout at people in the stadium and around it) rather than trying to replicate a crowd experience or anything like that. I know a few teams messed around with giant screens of Zoom calls and what-have-you but I think the money and faff involved significantly outweighs the reward there.

To be honest, while neat, notice them as much as I do hoardings, which kind of blur into the background. Suppose I might pay them attention if eyes are wandering around the screen but the way TV shots are framed they’d likely be on the periphery of the frame.

2 minutes ago, glb said:

To be honest, while neat, notice them as much as I do hoardings, which kind of blur into the background. Suppose I might pay them attention if eyes are wandering around the screen but the way TV shots are framed they’d likely be on the periphery of the frame.

I'm getting the sense that if there was a rllmuk panel talking to my clients I'd be in danger of being made redundant! Anyway, I do (genuinely) appreciate all the answers. From my perspective I find myself watching hoardings and missing the match at times, a professional hazard. Obviously if we do something too attention-grabbing then people just hate it, so the battle is to be noticed but not annoying.

By the by, in terms of the TV shot framing, Wembley dropped the main camera down a whole tier a few years back precisely because the boards weren't getting much telly time otherwise. Used to happen in old White Hart Lane too, you'd see a really high camera in league games and a super low one in UEFA matches. I've seen some moans about it on Twitter but I suspect the majority don't even have it cross their mind.

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

thatsbaitgif

My feeling is that enough club staff and marketing staff in sponsor companies and stats staff in analysis companies have their careers resting on the advertising being a continued success, I'm sure the entire house of cards will be just fine :) 

1 minute ago, milko said:

My feeling is that enough club staff and marketing staff in sponsor companies and stats staff in analysis companies have their careers resting on the advertising being a continued success, I'm sure the entire house of cards will be just fine :) 

the bait was cardboard cutouts, somebody gets quite angry at them being called that !

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

I thought that you were referring to the Arsenal defence.

#bantzbantzbantz

you'd have been delighted if Burnley signed a couple of cardboard cutouts so you could name a full 25 man squad in a week or so.

Ronaldo getting covid might be the thing that makes UEFA wake up and cancel the internationals. I can't believe they seem happy to wait for a player to get seriously ill. 

They should have just held the playoffs in a controlled environment in one country over a week and cancelled everything else, but no. 

1 hour ago, milko said:

Can I ask a question about my job, for anybody that watched Wembley matches lately (FA Cup, Community Shield, England) - did any of you notice/like/hate the animated steps in the stadium? I'm trying to get a sense for what kind of impact they have, although the FA putting two rows of LED next to the pitch probably dominates things already. I tend toward "It's not supposed to be bloody Las Vegas" a bit myself but I wonder if people even realise its there or have been sufficiently desensitized and can shut them out now.

Are they actually present or are they added digitally? They seemed to lag a frame or so to me, a bit like tearing when v-sync is off, quite distracting.

1 hour ago, milko said:

Noticed them. Wasn't bothered by then. More distracted by the Pokémon logo in the corner.

6 minutes ago, artz said:

Are they actually present or are they added digitally? They seemed to lag a frame or so to me, a bit like tearing when v-sync is off, quite distracting.

They're present. The 'virtual' overlay stuff is still a bit in beta really, it's happening here and there but its not quite robust enough to go truly widespread. 

In theory all the displays were on the same refresh rate but there's a fair bit of hardware mixing and different control systems that might make things less than perfectly in sync.

1 hour ago, milko said:

I'm getting the sense that if there was a rllmuk panel talking to my clients I'd be in danger of being made redundant! Anyway, I do (genuinely) appreciate all the answers. From my perspective I find myself watching hoardings and missing the match at times, a professional hazard. Obviously if we do something too attention-grabbing then people just hate it, so the battle is to be noticed but not annoying.

By the by, in terms of the TV shot framing, Wembley dropped the main camera down a whole tier a few years back precisely because the boards weren't getting much telly time otherwise. Used to happen in old White Hart Lane too, you'd see a really high camera in league games and a super low one in UEFA matches. I've seen some moans about it on Twitter but I suspect the majority don't even have it cross their mind.

Coming from a broadcast background I notice things most probably wouldn’t pay much mind too: replays not cued properly, odd camera choices, timings being slightly out when cutting between presenters. Crashing out of ads is fairly common, just means the ad breaks haven’t been timed properly, probably because a run order is out, which is a hazard of live TV.

Anyway, regarding the feedback, should add the digital hoardings don’t impact viewing at all. Think the only ones that do are the pop-ups on screen. Far less frequent in the UK, more the US. Are there moves to install more ads around the scoreboard etc?