Football Thread 2020/2021

8 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Pretty annoying that we’ve got the two best right backs in the league and no left back apart from a kid.

I believe Ricardo has played LB before.

At the moment you seem to be Liverpool's biggest threat this season! Don't get me wrong, they're still easy favourites but Mac City look completely out of sorts and Chelsea need time and possibly a better manager. If only you had a bit more squad depth.

I mentioned it in the United thread, but I would hesitate to write City off based on this. Quite a few of the teams who were involved in that between-seasons European competition have struggled so far this season. Man City, Man United, and Wolves, plus PSG, Lyon, and even Bayern got battered 4-1 yesterday. It looks like playing Adrian in goal and getting knocked out of Europe early last season might have been a masterstroke by Liverpool. 

Apologies to those who have just read the same opinion from me in two threads. I'll go and post it in the Everton thread now. 

there was a good piece on the Athletic about the early season games and possible causes.

stupid short time between seasons, unfit or worn out players, but also discussed the leagues obsession with pressing and high defensive lines being something that needs both fitness and co-ordination (something that only comes with time). I liked the theory that defence takes time to coach to work as a unit whereas attacking can be more free form and off the cuff. 

not sure though how teams with mostly the same defenders have forgotten how to defend in only 4 weeks (I know in some cases they didn't know how to do it last season either), so must really be a fitness and intensity thing.

long may it continue, we need the chaos and goals and stupid handballs to make us forget the empty grounds and weirdness of everything else at present.

Managers / coaches not having quite as much time on the training field is a massive factor in the current Premier League wonkiness. Very few clubs have had longer than two weeks pre-season, and now the season is non-stop until May (plus the Euros) so the gelling of new ideas with settled routines is going to be done largely on the fly.

Today's Totally Football Show hinted at the possibility of a settled, organised side having a great opportunity to challenge for the title. So while City and Liverpool should be the top two, there is unlikely to be a 90+ points haul again this season, leaving a more attainable total for sides that can be consistent and put Liverpool and City under pressure.

Arsenal have a great opportunity to do so tonight with Alisson looking doubtful to start.

Yeah I did hear some idiot say "Why are Chelsea struggling with the new signings, they had a whole pre-season to sort it out"

Well no, they didn't, and nor did anyone else.  Thiago Silva played in the CL Final less than 3 weeks before this season kicked off.  He made his debut a month later, no wonder there was the odd mistake and this would be true for any team, especially those that either played in those finals or recruited players from those teams.

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

there was a good piece on the Athletic about the early season games and possible causes.

stupid short time between seasons, unfit or worn out players, but also discussed the leagues obsession with pressing and high defensive lines being something that needs both fitness and co-ordination (something that only comes with time). I liked the theory that defence takes time to coach to work as a unit whereas attacking can be more free form and off the cuff. 

not sure though how teams with mostly the same defenders have forgotten how to defend in only 4 weeks (I know in some cases they didn't know how to do it last season either), so must really be a fitness and intensity thing.

long may it continue, we need the chaos and goals and stupid handballs to make us forget the empty grounds and weirdness of everything else at present.

But Liverpool can play 2 games in one day mate - nothing like fixture congestion or player fatigue exits, all made up to nobble the smaller teams...

3 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Fulham are going to finish with fewer points than Derby did that season. 

I wish. This happens every season - some team starts awfully. They always go through a decent patch, even if they still end up going down. That Derby side were comically bad, much worse than this Fulham.

Fulham will probably deploy the Big Sam Signal fairly soon and become a little more robust.

Mind you, I do like the TFS theory that Fulham and West Brom aren't really arsed about staying up and just want to bank the Premier League cash. Hopefully by Feb they'll have less than 11 points and start playing innovative 1-1-1-3-4 formations with a right back in goal.

11 points from 114. Bloody hell Derby.

Of the three that came up I can only imagine Leeds came with the (realistic) intention of being able to stay there. Early days of course, but Fulham have looked like dead men walking already, even West Brom look to have a little more about them.

13 hours ago, Timmo said:

I wish. This happens every season - some team starts awfully. They always go through a decent patch, even if they still end up going down. That Derby side were comically bad, much worse than this Fulham.

Yeah, I think in 2013 we went on runs of eight and seven games without even scoring and still got somewhere near 30 points.  Getting less than that Derby side is incredibly difficult.

*looks at table*

Oh fuck, I've jinxed it now, haven't I?