Football Thread 2020/2021

7 minutes ago, spork said:

Worse than a PE teacher.

Edit. I reserve the right to delete this when Chelsea end up winning 5-3.

Oi, you leave our PE teacher alone, he's doing alright today, won the game after it was finished :omg:

VAR is the worst. Not helped by the eerie relative silence with the lack of crowd, but everytime a goal goes in I just have no emotion beyond “is that gonna be disallowed?” I’ve felt it since it was first introduced but honestly expected it to be much better by now but it’s just getting more and more frequent, taking longer, and now has the added caveat of awarding incorrect decisions, because there’s no way some of the recent handball decisions have been either consistent or logical.

Considering how excellently goal line technology was introduced, I can’t believe how bad VAR is in comparison.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

VAR is the worst. Not helped by the eerie relative silence with the lack of crowd, but everytime a goal goes in I just have no emotion beyond “is that gonna be disallowed?” I’ve felt it since it was first introduced but honestly expected it to be much better by now but it’s just getting more and more frequent, taking longer, and now has the added caveat of awarding incorrect decisions, because there’s no way some of the recent handball decisions have been either consistent or logical.

Considering how excellently goal line technology was introduced, I can’t believe how bad VAR is in comparison.

To be fair even goal line technology fucked up last season in spectacular fashion. Admittedly only once! 

After watching MOTD - it would be better if they just gave each team a penalty at the start of the game then turned VAR off for anything handball related unless it was punching there ball in the net or stopping it crossing the line.

or better still just turn VAR off completely.

As a Newcastle fan I do not want this one point. 

Commentator said "Newcastle fans will be ecstatic" but no. We've been utterly awful and do not deserve a draw. And not like this.

All that said it's on Spurs to not have absolutely obliterated us with goals. As a resident of Tottenham and also as a Spurs fan* it could have been a lot better. Crap game really. 

* This is a significant day in the season as its one of the only two games of the season where there's a conflict of interest and kinda fun as a result. Oh well. Sports lol

9 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hope Kane was sent off for calling the ref and VAR assistants a bunch of hapless cunts.

Only problem is that the Ref is applying the rules of the game as stated.  It is the rule which is a load of wank, not the poor old Ref's who are having to implement it.

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

Only problem is that the Ref is applying the rules of the game as stated.  It is the rule which is a load of wank, not the poor old Ref's who are having to implement it.

even worse they get assessed on every game, if they don't apply the laws 'properly' as currently interpreted/written they get marked down and don't get the subsequent big games

Refs have been consistently shite for so long that we had to have VAR to try and reduce their shiteness. And now look where we are - we have a committee of them making sure to make even more shite decisions. 

Maybe it's just my age but I'm getting to the point where I might just stop paying attention to football. At least on Football Manager I don't get wound up!