Football Thread 2020/2021

He seems a right radgy bastard too, which I think immediately makes him difficult to like. I will give him that though, that save against Columbia was great. Airbrush from history that we conceded off the resulting corner and it's even better.

The debate on Talksport was great this morning. Who's the Shittest? Kepa, Karius or Pickford? Phone in and eventually get to the point where you tell us what you think!

Well, we'll see how good Villa's reserves are tonight because fuck me, the team we've put out against Bristol City in the cup will almost certainly be the only time these 11 players are on the pitch at the same time. Stick a fiver on an 'upset' if you are a gambling man. 

One of the exciting things about reducing the European qualifiers to single legs is the potential for an upset - anything can happen in one game, and with home advantage a minnow might make it all the way to the group stages.

And sometimes a second leg might not make a button of a difference. KÍ, current Faroese champions and in the third qualifying round of the Europa League for the first time, have just hammered Dinamo Tbilisi 6-1. The Georgians haven't got terribly much pedrigree but did make the UEFA Cup group stages in 2005, losing all four matches including 2-0 away in Newcastle. But still.

As a reward, KÍ will have a single game playoff against either Sheriff Tiraspol or Dundalk, who are into extra time after a 1-1 draw in Moldova.

Edit: and it'll be Dundalk who won on penalties. Great chance to make it to the groups for a second time.

On 24/09/2020 at 10:00, Art Vandelay said:

What's going on with Mario Gotze? Feels like as a free agent he'd be being pulled in all directions. Unless his stats have been forcefully prized apart and people don't like the look of what's been exposed. Always looked comfortable making things happen in the hole etc.

On 24/09/2020 at 10:10, Naysonymous said:

He was diagnosed with myopathy a few years ago and I think that’s the issue. 

I wonder if it's a problem with getting insurance on him, could be that the premiums are more than clubs are willing to pay, especially if there's an increased risk linked to it with Covid. 

I see there's a rumour that he's going back to Bayern, though. 

West Ham allowed to play despite 2 players and the manager testing postitive just before their game in the week and I assume they will be playing Saturday bar the players that tested positive.

The League cup this season already feels like a joke - the smaller clubs have mainly all been battered by reserve Prem teams - I wonder if that is a mix of them having smaller squads/already playing a lot of fixtures and lack of crowds?  I feel like cup games/giant killings are one thing that will be really impacted by games being behind closed doors - no home crowd to cheer you on or rattle the more experienced team or no real sense of occasion for players in smaller clubs to raise their game like they might do otherwise?

Most of those smaller clubs have played reserve teams as well.  They have their own problems with fixture congestion, and there's no incentive of big gate reciepts from a tie against a top club, so why would they bother?  The League Cup should have been scrapped this season, to be honest.

31 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Spurs get a bye into next round as Orient forced to forfeit due to not being able to fulfil the fixture

I get the rules and fixture congestion but does seem harsh and won't encourage any of the other smaller EFL teams to accept tests in the next round

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54295512

Yep absolute insanity.

Leyton go out of their way to do the right thing and their reward is to be kicked out of the cup because another team can't manage their schedule.

Liverpool managed 2 games last year, Spurs can.

52 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yep absolute insanity.

Leyton go out of their way to do the right thing and their reward is to be kicked out of the cup because another team can't manage their schedule.

Liverpool managed 2 games last year, Spurs can.

Yeah, no reason Spurs couldn't play the kids for the Orient game next week and the first team / reserves against Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

The League Cup should have been scrapped this season, to be honest.

See also - and even more so - The League of Nations.

Especially when, in two weeks time, European countries are playing THREE mathes in the International window.

Lets take players from all around Europe, get them to join up with their countries, then fly them all around Europe for a week so afterwards they are at best, nackered, or at worst, spreading Covid to their doemstic clubs and cripplign the season.

Nobody gives a dam about International friendlies and the League of Nations at the start of the season at the best of times - but behind closed doors. Who cares.

18 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Yeah, no reason Spurs couldn't play the kids for the Orient game next week and the first team / reserves against Chelsea. 

Especially with the size of squads now, didn't Liverpool play two matches on the same day last season?

12 minutes ago, wev said:

Especially with the size of squads now, didn't Liverpool play two matches on the same day last season?

Yep, first team were off at the World Club Cup whilst the kids got hammered by Aston Villa in the league cup.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

So how would Spurs play Chelsea when they wouldn't have qualified to play them yet? 

I think the issue is not that we could field two teams, but that Spurs had a game yesterday (Thurs), have a game Sunday, and the 4th round is on next Tuesday, so considering no other competition is going to move their game (and UEFA especially aren't going to, even if it is a qualifier), then the game can only have been played last Tuesday, and the fact that the council prohibited the game from being played at all.

I'm not sure why Leyton Orient couldn't have played with the players left but apparently the council prohibited the game going ahead under the circumstances, so once they called the game off, there was only one realistic option - a forfeit.

18 hours ago, Smoothy said:

I'm not sure why Leyton Orient couldn't have played with the players left but apparently the council prohibited the game going ahead under the circumstances, so once they called the game off, there was only one realistic option - a forfeit.

Yes a forfeit by Spurs because they couldn't contest the rearranged match.

Leyton were forced not to play the first match, Spurs just can't be fucked to play a rearranged one.

As for the Chelsea game, you postpone that too and play this game then, many a cup has had a previous round game played on the day of the next round.

But really the bigger problem is if an EFL team ever does a COVID test again they're an idiot. Because they've just been told in no uncertain terms they're the ones who'll be punished for doing so.